Reviews for Shifting the Balance
Some reader chapter 18 . 9/19/2013
I'm still not done with this chapter and I know you won't update this story. Probably you don't even reviews written for it any longer. Anyway, I felt the urge to speak out. First, let me assure you I've enjoyed it profusely. I've got involved into the Kenshin universe very recently, and since I've done with everything official, I decided to turn to fanfiction. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much good fanfiction in this particular. Or, perhaps, I haven't searched enough. Anyway, yours is wonderful. It's very well done. I think there are one or two details that could be improved or better handled, but that's not important.
Having said, that, I must tell you that, as good fiction tends to do to me, you've made me feel for these characters. Or your take on them. I always love Kenshin, so that's not new. But, usually, I like Sanosuke too and I do think he could be a good partner for Kenshin, better than Kaoru. In the official manga I do think he was sort of playing a part when he married her, though I wouldn't affirm he was in love with any other character either. But I digress. In your fic, though at first I really liked him and he was my hero when he saved Kenshin and pulverized that bandit's skull, I must admit that as of now I loathe him.
Kenshin can take care of himself and he can make his own decision as well. But he's going through a time of need. His wife and his son have been kidnapped. Maybe they're already dead. And Sanosuke only seem to think about having a good time. Yes, it could be argued that he wants to ease Kenshin's pain by distracting him with a few drinks and some gambling, but then why does he drink himself? So he says he promised Megumi he would take care of Kenshin. By getting plastered, he was not. If he wanted to make Kenshin forget his pain, then okay, he could have bribed him (as he did) into having one too many drink, but he should have stayed sober.
And then, in the bedroom... I don't blame him for the night, though it's not very clear what happened there. I would accept what Kenshin thought about the actual battle being what mattered. I would accept that he wanted to feel as if he had no choice, whether for his own inebriation or Sanosuke's. But the morning after... Sanosuke waked out on Kenshin more than once. I know he felt unfairly accused and yes, he has the right to be angry. But to the point of abandoning his best friend who doesn't really know if he'll eve find his wife and his kid? After what Kenshin told him about his raping? And he stayed because Kenshin gave in and said "I love you". I wouldn't blame Kenshin if he said so precisely because he had a use for Sanosuke and because he didn't want to deal with the loss of another loved one. But I will never forgive Sanosuke for taking advantage of the situation. Because that's what he's doing now. Kenshin still hasn't go back to his usual self and probably he's lost Kaoru and Kenji. And Sanosuke, once more, only thinks about himself. Did Kenshin lie to him when he told him that he loved him? I hope he did. I know I'll never see the end of this story, and I'm sort of glad about it, cause that way I can create my own ending for it. And it's not a happy one for someone as selfish as Sanosuke, who doesn't deserve Kenshin's trust and, definitely, does not deserve his love.
So, there. Keep in mind that I love your story, and when I feel so strongly for a character, whether in a positive or in a negative way it's precisely cause said story got me. Be proud. You've got a very invested reader.
Good luck, live happy.
Enigmajade chapter 19 . 3/27/2013
I did always enjoy this story - such a departure from so many RK fics. I know it's unlikely to ever see more chapters but I always wondered where it would lead. :D
Anon chapter 19 . 4/12/2011
I remember reading this _years_ ago on a site called Bishounen Works and I check every so often to see if it's updated. Just hit my mind to check [mid Thermo exam prep] and the original site must have been lost in the fall of Geocities? Either way. In the... many years it's been, no update yet so I'm pretty sure it's at a stand still. A shame, I really enjoyed it :) glad I could find it here!
Captain Hiei chapter 19 . 3/17/2011
I absolutely love this story and i hope to see more of it in the future!
Almecestris chapter 19 . 5/20/2010
NOOOO! Please please please update this story soon, it's one of the best i've read and it's a shame to leave it incomplete. please!
Almecestris chapter 15 . 5/20/2010
Wazzup? Been reading this awesome - though admittedly depressing - story for a while and I'm loving it. It's a bit sad that it's not yet been updated for seven years, but there's always hope. Anyways, I saw a bit of a mistake. You wrote "Philippino" but it's supposed to be "Filipino". Yup, I would know since i'm one myself :) Cheers and thanks for sharing this fic with us!
RedWingedAngel002 chapter 19 . 8/12/2009
Well Its kinda sad to say Im happy its getting somewhere. Not the path that I wanted but nice job none the less.

RedWingedAngel002 chapter 18 . 8/12/2009
*smacksheadinwall* Im sorry.. T_T Not my pairing preference. T_T Hes married!

RedWingedAngel002 chapter 17 . 8/12/2009
This is going down hill for me. TT Ill keep reading though..

Arichan
RedWingedAngel002 chapter 16 . 8/12/2009
Oh.. dude.. Awekward. T_T Yes I can see them as a pairing.. but.. TT;

ari chan
RedWingedAngel002 chapter 14 . 8/12/2009
Awesome! Im glad they are finally starting their journy!

RedWingedAngel002 chapter 13 . 8/12/2009
Awesome job. Im glad Yahiko is back. )

RedWingedAngel002 chapter 12 . 8/12/2009
You'd think Sano would be happy seeing Megumi- he did have a crush o her thats why. Lol. but this is kinda a Shonenai- neh? Lol. Anywho- nice job.

RedWingedAngel002 chapter 11 . 8/12/2009
Ugh.. Another fantastic chatper as alway. T_T To awe for words...

RedWingedAngel002 chapter 10 . 8/12/2009
Oh Jesus! Spit it out already damnit!

ARi chan