Reviews for An Unexpected Outing
jadethetroll chapter 4 . 6/28
That comment from Snape.. Blody brilliant.
Chemistress chapter 1 . 9/27/2011
I just had to read your story again - with my newly acquired first-hand knowledge *gg*:

Let me start quoting some (!) of the lines that have me laughing out loud even on this 3rd ? reading:

/Well, a girl could dream. Now let's imagine that she turns around and ...

Ye gods. What had she been thinking? Could one see it in her face? Was Minerva a Legilimens? Was this a constructive thought? Damage control, Hooch, now./ Oh my, thank heavens we at least do not have to ponder the thought of "Legilimens"!

/It might make working relationships awfully strained if Minerva didn't want ... And how many jobs were there where a woman was paid - handsomely - to fly a broom? / Right, don't let go of your brain right away ;-)

/"And Dumbledore, what's he doing?" Rolanda asked, feeling suddenly fiercely protective. Crazy, of course. Minerva definitely didn't need protecting. Arguably not even from Dumbledore../ Well, one can't fight ones inner "protective lion", even if not a Gryffindor

/"An unexpected... outing?"

When she saw Minerva smile almost flirtatiously, she realised just what she had said. Dammit, Hooch, that's the second time in five minutes. Great way with words you have today.

"Make of that what you want," she added, almost gruffly.

"I will!" Minerva replied fervently. "Have a day off, I mean," she added hastily./ :-)) It sounds so easy ! But it is so difficult to really come up with witty remarks like that - you are absolutely amazing!
KateInSpace chapter 4 . 1/2/2011
I very much enjoyed this story! It was well written, the characters had depth, and it certainly left me wanting more. Thank you for a lovely read!
abacab chapter 4 . 11/26/2010
I really like this. Your Rolanda is great. The Snape bit is too.

Will there be more updates?
Human Elemental chapter 4 . 9/14/2010
Oh, I absolutely loved this story! My favorite line of the whole thing had to be "And if consulting her doesn't help," Severus added, with his blankest, most inscrutable voice, "I'll flirt with her!" Wonderful job, absolutely wonderful!
Swallow B chapter 4 . 9/2/2010
I nearly didn't review this, as I couldn't think of anything special to say about it, except 'nice story', but the Severus bit at the end was wonderful. I can just imagine him saying that sort of thing, with a straight face. We never got to see that side of him in the books, but I do get the feeling it was there. Isn't it great to be able to look a bit further than the tip of Harry's nose !
McGonagall'swoman chapter 4 . 7/15/2010
I adore this story. There's something very honest about it and the characters are perfect.
JUJUChick16 chapter 4 . 6/20/2010
I have been waiting for an update and you didn't disappoint! So everyone did know, please update this again soon. I love Rolanda and Minerva! Update soon!
moira of the mountain chapter 3 . 6/13/2010
it's bloody freezing and raining here in Denver this morning and waking up to this new chapter was such a treat. I find one of the things I enjoy most about your writing is the deep humanity of your depictions - conversations that we have all had in our relationships - the eagerness, the doubts, the tiny things we learn to love (or, tragically, sometimes later, to despise). The ending is eloquent - says it all - "we'll have to think about this". No more need be said at that moment. Ernest would be pleased with your sparity of words and how much you convey with them.
Kelly Chambliss chapter 3 . 6/13/2010
Brilliant. You center the Hooch POV so well; the diction, imagery, pacing all let us know that we're firmly in her head. I like the way that Quidditch has formed her thought processes, the way she sees the world. And Minerva is perfectly IC, too, of course.

Lines I like:

"Besotted they might be, fools they weren't"

- -the imagined comment from Umbridge: yes, exactly

"Rolanda had felt surprised, deliciously overpowered, carried away, and … wrong line of thought. Calmness and control, that was what she needed now."

I Love Ro's internal talks with herself

- -Rolanda's lovely romantic speech. No wonder Minerva says it's one of the best things anyone's ever said to her.

"The Bludger that broke my arm. That had felt … no, not the same. Much less painful, in fact"

An effective comparison - it's IC, and we understand exactly how she felt. Her anger, too, is completely believable.

"You've had brooms that were more flexible."

Haha! Great line, perfectly-placed.

And an excellent ending point.
JUJUChick16 chapter 2 . 6/12/2010
My two favorite professors, and if I do say so myself I love it when they are paired up. You are doing an amazing job on this I can't wait till they are back at Hogwarts and the trio know they are together, haha. Update again soon! I am loving this story!
Headmistress X chapter 2 . 6/11/2010
How is it that I have neglected to review this gem? Ah, well. I'm here now. Actually, I'm back, because I've got a bit of insomnia and you've got a lovely, diverting story.

Some things I love:

Minerva as a child of war, schooled in sacrifice and battle, hopefully pressing her nose against the windowpane of a shop that was once filled with wonders. Heartbreaking, age-appropriate, yet perfectly in character.

Hooch as a jazz-age aviatrix? Brilliant. Now that you've brought it up, it seems so obvious.

/Rolanda looked at the fine, straight worry line between Minerva's eyebrows. Softly, with the tip of her finger, she massaged it away./ Because you have established Hooch as older, more experienced and yet less serious than Minerva, this telling gesture perfectly expresses their relationship dynamic.

The Shakespeare & Co. references caused delighted squealing in the Headmistress' quarters. True, delighted squealing is pretty common around these parts. But still.
Kelly Chambliss chapter 2 . 6/6/2010
The pace of this chapter is just perfect - leisurely and detailed, just like their explorations of the city and each other. Everything is characterized so perceptively, and I'm not talking about just the people, but also the city and the period and what it might be like to be a civilian in wartime. The entire first paragraph in the "Paris, 1943" section, for instance - it's so well-done in terms of both style and content. Impressive.

/as if those small waits absorbed all the energy they had/

Love this - it's just how I imagine things would be. It's even the case in ordinary life.

/Suddenly, she took Minerva's arm and pressed it against her. "Let's have a lovely day," she said./

Great lines. So much happens here that isn't spelled out.

/'Not too bad, considering' is the best we may hope for./

Haha! Still, as Rolanda's thoughts show us, there are compensations.

Loved the Charlotte/Eleanor discussion, too.
Kelly Chambliss chapter 1 . 5/30/2010
Just as you can't step into the same river twice, you can't read the same story twice, either. Every time I read a good or favorite one, like this one, I find something new to be savored. This time, it was Nini's opening gambit (ah, Paris...) and this line: /"He is Ernest," the young man added in a respectful whisper. By then, Rolanda had decided that her self-appointed guide was not just earnest himself, but rather pompous, too./ And Hooch's damage control - such a great piece of characterization.
moira of the mountain chapter 1 . 5/30/2010
How many dinners indeed? That's a priceless line - and an even more priceless question ! I'm loving the prospect of this stroll through Paris - what woman wouldn't, whatever her inclinations? Delightful - will be eagerly awaiting this new Sunday treat... ahem, does this tendency towards Sunday postings make both you and our dear Kelly something of "teases" yourselves? Loads of hugs to ya !