Reviews for Chromatic
Tre Corde chapter 1 . 6/19/2014

Just one little word, and yet—all of them. All the questions. Everything. So much conveyed. So little conveyed. Oh, Germany.

Also, wow. Your descriptions and imagery...I could hear it. I could hear that flute and all of its shrieking chromatics. You even had me wincing at several points, because I know how shrill and sharp-around-the-edges the flute can get. Especially after months of no practice, when your embouchure weakens and shreds your tone to pieces.

This piece is wonderful. Sharply bitter in all the right places; uneasy and dissonant all throughout.

Thank you for this.
cannoWrite chapter 1 . 3/4/2013
i like this story :)
JinseinoMamorubito chapter 1 . 11/12/2012
The ambiguity was startling. I was thinking that Germany would at least answer one of the questions outright.
Trinity237 chapter 1 . 4/11/2012
I know my review isn't much, compared with the essays for reviews that you received, not at all actually, but there are just a couple of things I need to burst out, so here goes.

Sharp is the perfect word to describe this story. I am uncertain with the emotions that left me while reading it, if they're optimistic or pessimistic or simply devoid of feeling, but it is definately sharp. I have this painful ache in my heart and a shadow in my thoughts and I'm left a little lightheaded after forgetting how to breathe, and it's weird because I feel as if I've read probably the most tension-filled moment in my life, and simultaneously like I read nothing at - something completely unimportant.

Nothing was resolved.

Also, I don't know if that's the case, I highly doubt actually, but it seemed like every sentence and thought and words had a double meaning behind them. To me, nothing was clear in this story; nothing black or white. Just full of shades of grey.

It's such a simply story, really. So simple that I could give to my older completely-ignorant-of-anything-resembling-meaning-of-literature sister and read it easily. It's that simple. But strangely, I think that not even you, who wrote it, either me, nor anyone else who read it can actually come close to true meaning of this story. As much as I proud myself of finding hidden meanings, I now feel like a newborn trying to figure out the workings of the Universe. The depth of this story is such, that I don't possess the abilities needed to analyze it. In fact, I don't think I ever will.

When I read stories, I have the characters' voices talking in my head, and sometimes I insert mental fitting soundtracks - they help make things more emotional. Just like watching it on TV would. But surprisingly, this story, apart from Prussia's playing, was devoid of any such soundtracks. The moments were so real and the tension so tangible and believable, that it was like the scene was playing right before my eyes. I WAS in that office, watching without breathing or moving Prussia's sudden outburst.

'Masterpiece' is so mainstream, I won't even bother tiring my arms or tainting the story using it.
Arya May chapter 1 . 1/12/2012
That was just utterly beautiful. Thank you so much for writing this!
pinkshade chapter 1 . 2/4/2011
Lol whut?

Prussia can play the flute?

Anywho, it was pretty funny. But

I didn't understand it all, thanks though!
hetaliayaoi4ever chapter 1 . 1/14/2011
okay...I can't write a long review like all the rest (cause I have NO patience what-so-ever, but I do wanna say that it's awesome...and that I think we need more fics of Prussia and his flute, cause not only does it make me happy (i play teh flute!) but it really helps bring out his feelings and how he loved Old Fritz...if I can call him that...really awesome fic tho...just...amazing...
Peridot Tears chapter 1 . 5/31/2010
It's sharp. Really sharp. You definitely put Prussia's personality in in a way almost relatable - definitely relatable if I were not so hesitant. Ludwig's plain...stick-to-the-Reich-no-matter-what mannerisms, how they stick out at the end. And haha, der Fuehrer deciding that he didn't like him very much. Heh.

Seems very much to show that history with Prussia has washed-out a bit...I cand definitely see him being so incredibly...irked, and that's an how Friedrich II is being used by the Nazis this way.

Sharp and...absolutely nothing is resolved, as you have stated. But a moment of absolute truth, non?

Illiteracy chapter 1 . 5/30/2010
Honestly, I don't know what to say.

Perhaps, I was led on to believe that it would be similar to many of the other Germany Prussia fanfictions on this site; but with Chromatic, you blow all of them out of the water.

This piece is stunningly worked, as if it was a sixteen piece composition itself. It leaves me nearly breathless. It has a varied pace that truly leaves behind an impression that you can manipulate it as such - it leaves me hanging on with anticipation, makes my heart accelerate until I'm just punched in the gut with every startling turn and event.

The one liners of sentences in parentheses gives the reader a sense of regret and reminiscence - it collides the present and the future, yet leaves a lingering feeling that more will happen. Like the implications of something beyond the scope of detection.

And it does - but with all those teasing clues, I still couldn't anticipate Prussia's outburst, nor the magnificent way this story holds so many parallels. It runs full circle - the flute, the composition - until Chromatic simply feels like a gargantuan metaphor that I possibly don't have the scope for to process.

The flute, the song, Prussia, Fritz - they are incredibly emotionally charged, so tantalizingly real. Especially the way Prussia can just imagine the Great's scolding and commentary - yes, it makes it real even to us. You present to us Germany and Prussia a side that is often tried and failed. The characterization is, for lack of a better word, beautiful and raw and tender.

This story is nail bitingly sharp, and the word "angst" doesn't even begin to cover it. Perfectly written. You manage to portray Prussia as he really is and yet keep to the law of grammar and punctuation. The references - I can't begin to imagine.

It shows that you spent your time on this, tweaking it until you found the magnificent epiphany that is Chromatic. Glorious and heartfelt and bittersweet.

I really can't say any more. Chromatic is mind blowing and striking, and, likewise, you.
Blackrigg chapter 1 . 5/30/2010
I'm absolutely flabbergasted. My honest opinion? This is spectacular. Downright and utterly bloody amazing.

It's always wonderful to see history included in Hetalia fics, though sometimes it takes over the entire story. You did it just right however, in my opinion, because the historical references never get overwhelming and "smother" the characters (I hope you know what I mean...). Like anyone, I appreciate accuracy, but even more so if the personifications we all love can maintain their personality, and you've handled everything with such grace in that aspect! You translate Ludwig and Gilbert into text extremely well, and obviously you know how to work your language to suit your purpose the best way possible. It sent shivers down my spine the way you portrayed Prussia playing the flute (I even thought I could hear him for a moment), despite barely having a musical bone in my body. I’ve never known what it’s like to play the flute, but no-one’s ever done a better job of explaining what it’s like than you did in this piece. I mightn’t be a virtuoso because of it, but I’m a million miles nearer than I was before. :)

Also, Prussia quoting Fritz made me nearly faint with happiness... Cannot say why, exactly, but I think my inner history geek is rapidly emerging! I had to comment on that, because it felt like stumbling on a treasure when I read it.

What else? I can’t think of anything to say that you probably don’t already know yourself... You seem so very secure in your writing; your personal style is very developed and lovely to read, the spelling/grammar seems flawless to me (the punctuation also), and the dialogues are fascinatingly real and help the story along, like they should. My heart did a double take at this, in particular:

"Answer the goddamn question, Ludwig."

"...Which one?"

"All of them!" Prussia shouted, whirling around to face him, eyes too bright. Wet.

If that isn’t genius, I do not know what is. Every time I reread it I can see it happening in front of me; in context, it’s perfect. The pacing up until then is so varied it keeps the reader on edge throughout (in the best way possible), but still I didn’t anticipate Prussia’s outburst at all. I suppose I might have known it was coming (reading the summary hinted at it, I thought), but I couldn’t help but be startled anyway. Like I was actually in the room with them. That, if anything, is an achievement worthy of every superlative to be found in a dictionary. When it’s executed well, it’s the best thing on earth – and you did it so well!

My conclusion, after this unbelievable amount of rambling which I do apologise for, is that this must be a masterpiece. The amount of time you spent on writing it I don’t even dare to guess at, but I can tell you had fun doing it! I suppose what is left for me to say is that I want to thank you, so much, for posting this incredible work of art. I loved it from the first word to the last, and I hope to see much more from you! Well done and good luck!