Reviews for Are We Saints?
varee chapter 1 . 6/26/2012
I.. certainly haven't expected a deep philosophical conversation in a mere fanfic, but I guess that's what makes your stories unique. and so enjoyable..

ever since middle school I have studied said subject, so every creation which contains even a small bit of philosophical musings will be automatically liked. thus I'm sorry for not being able to describe your writing style, for all I'm able to say is "I love this fic".
Spannerspoon chapter 1 . 11/18/2010
Ohh!

Very well written! Loved the debates, it was Fluff without fluffiness. BRILLIANT!
Elias chapter 1 . 10/29/2010
Great Story!
Miku chapter 1 . 7/1/2010
Can you do more Anzu and Seto or Bakura Anzu stories I love them all...It's just when you disapeered for a while I went and read other fandoms. Like Death Note, Code Geass, and even Inuyasha. Ive recently been addicted to Yaoi and I love you ten reasons why yamis suck thing. I find it beyond words. I hope you continue your stories.

Have you ever read Ouran Host club, I love that series and pratically any decent fandom written for it.
zenbon zakura chapter 1 . 6/3/2010
hehehe well yeah i believe that is true no matter how good a person is they are not good with out the bad because good defines the bad and bad defines the good ying yang style cause there is no such thing as good or evil but thinking makes it so -Shakespeare
Anshu chapter 1 . 6/2/2010
Ah! The vicariously vicious circle of good and evil.

The concept or the plot incorporated between the two main characters was different. I have to hand it to you for the effort in writing this narrative. Not many venture the risk of an intellectual discussion with the Kaiba’s character and that’s just a shame. You take risk, and that’s why most of your one-shots stand out of the crowd in terms of originality. Excellent work.

Now to discuss the initial theory… St. Augustine and Seto Kaiba? I’m not so sure. I know you surmised the quote in one line, and I also noticed how Kaiba jumped from Plato to Aristotle in his discussions. Still, I want to read a fiery, literary, clash of thoughts from Kaiba and Téa’s point of view. I know if anyone can pull it off, it’s you. You’ve the potentials and the understanding of the theme. Please, try Dostoevsky, Nietzsche, Kant, Strauss or even Voltaire. Anything along the lines of ‘individualism, existentialism, or atheist philosophy.’ I know Téa triggered this discussion but still…

A theologically blended school of thought sounded more like an evasive manoeuvre from Seto’s part. And that’s how you ended it. It was brilliant too. Don’t get me wrong you justified Seto and Téa’s personality to the hilt. The dialogues between them were tasteful, but in between, they felt a bit forced? I don’t know. I think you can do much better.

The debate that started from moral boundaries crossed over to the economic obligations and then Téa just got personal? C’mon, give her some credit; I think she can hold on a conversation without rooting in the personal effects?

Look, you’re extremely talented and creative. I’m saying that because I’ve read most of you’re one-shot. By the standards, this one feels a bit dry.
jessi chapter 1 . 6/2/2010
Excellent story!
MagykTales chapter 1 . 6/1/2010
Well, well, well, long time, no review ;)

Would you believe that the other day I was book hunting and I came across St. Augustine's novel, City of God? I wanted to buy it alot but no budget ;) Needless to say, I enjoyed your story, and loved that its thought provoking. Im not acquainted with Augustine's philosophy, but I do have some background knowledge on Plato and Aristotle. What I got from your story though, is that you were contemplating the nature of man...whether we are evil or good.

I've studied alot of Rousseau and Hobbes, both philosophers that were particularly interested in this exact same question. Hoobes grew up in a period of civil war, which led him to believe that our nature is inherently evil and that we need a sovereign entitiy to rule us. On the other hand, Rousseau believe that we all come into this world as pure, good beings. It society that corrupts our being. Personally, I do believe that human beings are very selfish creatures - we do what we can to get what we want. Often times, society leads us to becoming evil, through economic, social, or political means. What leads a man to becoming evil though, is power. The struggle to obtain power, and to retain it.

I believe though, that its possible for people to curb their selfishness and lead good lives, just lives according to what Aristotle preaches. You can be an ethical person with or without the help of religion, or God. All you have to do is live that ethical life.

I think that humans are not inherently evil, but rather selfish beings. Society can either mold our thoughts for the better or worse. Often for the worse...

Well, as usual, interesting subject matter. Good debate, though rather short. I was left with the feeling that they both wanted to discuss more on the topic. I found it really interesting how you said that Jou thought that everyone is evil. That made me laugh actually ;) Anyways, good job :D

Happy Writing!
browneyes730 chapter 1 . 6/1/2010
I love your story. It reminds me so much of what we have discussed in my Political Philosophy class. That Plato would have liked us to detach ourselves from the physical world and that Aristotle would have wanted us to actively live on principles to reach ultimate happiness...That all human beings have both good and bad qualities in them. We all have the potential to be the devil itself but we also all have the potential to be saints. It's just a matter of what a person chooses to believe and act on.

I enjoyed their philosophical talk. I truly believe that Kaiba would speak this way, outside of dueling, of course. And that Anzu would be the one he would speak with, since he does seem to respect her enough.

It was excellently written. Keep up the good work. :D
ayame11midori chapter 1 . 6/1/2010
Interesting. Here I was researching for my Philosophy class, then I thought of reading a story first and this is came up. :D What a coincidence, you talking about Plato, Aristotle and such. hahaha.

I find it funny, cause it seems that in a way you helped in explaining what I was intending to look for. :))

Anyway, I hope to read more from you soon. I'm sorry, I can't think of a coherent thought for a review to your story. Its just that it really amazed me where the story revolves in.
redconvoy chapter 1 . 6/1/2010
Oh, I like this. I have never read something like this. I like their little debate there. At least Anzu could debate with someone more intelligent than who she hangs out with. Heh.