Reviews for To Ride the Rising Sun
excessivelyperky chapter 1 . 6/13/2011
Oh, what a wonderful story! I laughed over the dragon, cried over the mouse, and winced at the enormous puppy (at least it wasn't black...).

But I stayed for the love.
minlin chapter 1 . 2/3/2011
This is very sweet and lovely and I adored it except for the part that had me snuffling damply onto my keyboard over the death of a mouse.
Bagge chapter 1 . 12/29/2010
Beautiful, whimsical, lovely and sweet. Also a wonderfully funny portrait of an old ex death eater potion maker and a charming, dotty menagerie proprietor - in an exceptionally fitting career path - and their blooming relationship.

And it is also very well written in a voice that captures Snape's sense of humour:

"Some idiot has sent him a dragon.

Either that or postal incompetence has reached unprecedented heights."

Well done
SonaCeol chapter 1 . 7/15/2010
That was absolutely beautiful!
VestriVerum chapter 1 . 6/23/2010
Ach, nothing to say to this what the others haven't already. Wonderfully done - adorable. Poor Severus; I can imagine his heart breaking for a mouse called Harriet. Beautiful.

V.
duj chapter 1 . 6/5/2010
Adorable. Poor Snape, so desperate to love that his heart breaks for even a mouse. (Or a Lily ;P But that was in canon; your Snape has better taste.) Luna will never break his heart. Instead she will mend it.
22Moons chapter 1 . 6/4/2010
What a very charming story!

I had no idea where you were going with this, and each new development was a lovely surprise. I loved the bittersweet tone of this story, with a Snape so damaged that even the love and loss of a mouse is too much for him to accept, and then the benevolent Menagerie taking care of all the creatures in its orbit.

You seem like a very confident writer, in the sense that each word is so well-chosen it's almost inevitable. It's a pleasure to read your writing.
whitehound chapter 1 . 6/4/2010
Very nice. I'm sure Luna would be good for him, either as a friend or a lover, because she's so calm and accepting and so good at seeing the truth of other people bluntly. She would see his virtues without particularly glossing over his faults, so he could be himself and trust her to give him an honest opinion.

I mean that he would never have to worry and think "Am I hurting her feelings?" because he'd know that if he was she'd say so, tell him what she wanted him to do/not do, and not hold it against him. In one of my own fics they discuss the "Mudblood" incident and he asks Luna what she would have done had she been in Lily's shoes and he had begged her forgiveness, and she replies: "I would have said 'That wasn't very nice. Don't do it again.' and you *wouldn't* have."

Btw "front stoop" is a Britpick - a minor one but so Britpicky many British readers probably won't even know what it means. It's called a "porch", here, and the thing that *you* call a porch is here called a "verandah".