Reviews for The Golden Age: Reclamation War
Rihaku chapter 11 . 7/12/2010
Larger issue: even if Lexi didn't notice all the differentiating factors that marked Frost as Definitely Not Kira internally, she would definitely notice his lack of 'it.' 'It' has been steadily increasing in Kira since the incident with Noah and its absence is a total no-brainer that something major is up, given that 'it' is pretty much impossible to remove while keeping the body intact. The only possible justification I can think of is that Kira programmed Lexi to be stupid around him and his medical records because he didn't like the idea of someone who resembles a cross between Lacus and Cagalli having an intimate knowledge of his body, but security issues prevented him from making Lexi stupid around anyone else.
Guest chapter 12 . 7/12/2010
I do hope, for the sake of the story, that the next frost chapters are more compact or contain several scenes instead of the one; if he goes through every single member like this the fic will start to resemble a monotonous gore-flick with no plot than the compelling yarn it's been. The issue, of course, is that Frost beating the crap out of people consumes a large number of words but does not actually advance anything in the bigger picture, especially after the initial beatdown upon which the large majority of wide-scale consequences stem.

I found Cagalli's plot-mandated stupidity to be kind of annoying, given the number of hints Frost dropped before he even did anything. The disparity in their power levels means that it would have made no difference to the scene if she started fighting earlier, and would have made her more characteristically sound, as Cagalli is not one to go helplessly into anything. She is the kid of Ulen Hibiki, who was brilliant if megalomaniacal.

I suppose this chapter does do a good job of balancing out the Edenites and USN viscerally; on the Edenite side you have the Caller and Frost and on the USN side you have Durandal, Natalia, Roanoke, and all their friends. Though the Caller is more a Nozickan utility monster made flesh and Frost isn't so much a person as a man-made natural disaster, oil spill or something. There does have to be a lot of damage to compensate for the improved medical technology in the series, but frankly anything less than death isn't permanent to anyone with access to near-Edenite level healthcare. There are of course the mental consequences, but getting beat up by Frost, an enemy she can hate, is much less scarring than getting beat up by Kira, and that distinction will be made soon enough in-universe time even if we readers will have to wait a while.

Will Kira and Frost fight? It would be a cool scene to have, the first bout between the agent of evolution and the one who evolves. Lexi apparently doesn't know where the real Kira is right now so he could be somewhere on Orb. If he is, he'd definitely be able to sense the doesn't-know-how-to-hide-his-mental-presence Frost. That would assist also in breaking the monotony of Frost curbstomping everyone, and would give Frost a chance to discover the power of Latents before Kira has access to a weapon that can easily terminate his enhanced body (like a QC sword or handheld hyper-impulse cannon) while it's disabled by usurped psionic power, and before Kira knows enough about psychic abilities to brainkill him.

LEXI's speech-analytical heuristics don't seem to be too advanced if she can't distinguish between someone who refers to Akira and Aoi as 'the offspring' and the real deal. This is somewhat contradictory, given that her own speech patterns are very sophisticated, to the degree that she gives off the impression of sentience/personhood. Well, the more glaring issue is that Frost's implants appear to be unobtrusive enough not to raise any warning flags, though I am a bit skeptical that she'd be unable to recogonize the extremely distinctive structures of quamtum crystal embedded in his bones, especially considering her work on Gundam design. Presumably she has some way of perceiving the inside of his body on a molecular level with her comments on his blood and bone matter, and even crude x-ray imagery can easily detect non-bone bodies embedded in bone. Given that he's stronger and way tougher than Kira, his muscles would also have to be either much bigger, much denser, or composed of a different material - all things that can't change in a few days without extensive surgery. He's also using parts of his brain that are associated with active Newtypes, and Kira 1) isn't one and 2) can't mimic those effects with Lacus 'dead.' They had Newtype brain pattern detectors eight years ago, so Lexi should be able to distinguish those patterns rather rapidly, since Frost is stupid (or rather, extremely focused in what he's smart at).

As Lexi does not have the chemicals that cause grief, sadness, hate, or fear, it would make sense that she wouldn't feel them appreciably. What, then, is the cause for her whimsy? her programmer was probably, in large part, Kira: did he simply decide to spare her from negative emotions and write heuristics for positive/fun ones? That would explain her playful sparring with Cyprus and Allister but her flipside inability to comprehend negative emotions. She definitely does seem to have a nonobjective comprehension of aesthetics.

I think you should cut down on Author's Notes, especially metareferential ones, as they break the flow of the story and have no relevance to future readers who will move through several chapters at a time. You could also post and then delete them a few days later, when they're irrelevant.
Grand Zephyrus chapter 12 . 7/11/2010
What is it with you and doing horrible thins to characters! I understand that sometimes they need to be beat up a little. But what you do is on a level all its own!
Cyspark01 chapter 11 . 7/11/2010
It seems that Kunai turned down all the high-ranking positions of Garden City but he appears to be a backseat driver politician by his demeanor, only that he is the leader of the elite version of Edenite Special Forces. I don't like how the Grand Chimerae basically saw the future of the Yamato-Clyne's deaths and didn't try to get them saved considering that the y were the ones that could have brought all the Edenites back into "modern life" with the USN and the rest of humanity. Kira's conditioning puts him in the eye of the storm.

Kunai was hinting at Kira as needing the greatest moblie suit pilot to ever live so I'm guessing that after he falls into complete despair. he will find his way to Garden City in order to be trained in his Newtype abilities and to potentially train and lead the Praetorians into battle against the USN and the Reclaimer Institute.

Hiero seems to have some doubts about kunai which is good since he feels guitly about Ms. Lacus and her children. I bet if the children grew up he could have potentially used them in a plot somewhere down the line.

Noah is only alive, no surprise so that Gil has somebody to gloat to. After 7 seven years, Noah is just waiting for Frost /Kira to wake up and start disrupting the peace and give him some excitement. I'm hoping that somewhere down the road Noah gets back down to Earth and meets up with Kunai. That could be pivotal to the story.

So after Frost gets a hold of the children what happens next, does he have some plan to get them after them? I almost feel bad that the real Kira is going to get blamed for this but with his mood and his state of mind. i don't think he could ever kidnap his own nephew ever.

But also, what is going to happen with Frost when Cray starts to show up, since he is an underling will he have Latent Newtype powers, at least?

This chapter is going to start some serious problems with even more serious repressions. If Cagalli found out that her family and espesically her child was in danger would she even go back into Seed mode like she did in Gundam Seed? She is capable just like Cyrus Finch but I'm sure under enough stimuli that won't be too hard for her to get into.
muciope chapter 11 . 7/10/2010
Yay! Another update. Filler stuff is still good.. looking forward to epic stuff soon.

Byron12 chapter 11 . 7/9/2010
Wait a minute how could frost slip pass their sericuty and meyrin really doesn't get it she's a lost soul but that's her and i really have nothing to say about durandal and noah will they die soon enough
Air-Quiet-Reader chapter 11 . 7/9/2010
And now I can't help but dislike the controlling of Yggdrasil, which I think is going to come back and bite the Edenites reall bad. Why do the people of this tale seem so intent to give SO MUCH power to things that could really screw them over if they went rogue? (referencing LEXI and that other one, ofcourse) The EDENites, as well as USN and ORB, seem very stupid to me to put so much trust in these things. "Everything will work out right in the end"- Kunai is going to get seriously, seriously rude awakening believing, with such certainy, such things- which I have a pretty good feeling is just BS by a higher power manipulating him.

The Edenite views on the future kind of confuse me. Based on the fact that they act so certainly based on the predictions, it would have me believe they think these predictions are certains and that outside influences, other than them apparently, could not change them (which, if the did, would not necessitate the need for them to act in such a way so quickly to change it). And yet, the do act, apparently to change the future, which thus must be changeable.

Which has me somewhat confused on whether or not I disagree with their notions on the future. I'm of the Twilight (what's with me referencing pop-culture lately?) theory that the future is not set in stone, and can easily change with people making new decisions, not the "our future and our actions are set in stone." kind of thing. It's hard for me to get a reading o nwhich one the EDENites are- I mean maybe they didn't think an other actions could change that future, but with something so widescale, I would think that the future would be rather unclear as so many different decisions and people could affect it.

In addition, why such great lengths to get Kira to their side? Why couldn't they just ask for his help and piloting skills to protect them? Iguess they need him to be more offensive and pilot their machines, but still, it seems very hasty an extreme. Not to mention they undoubtedly make themselves enemies of Kira and Lacus once, and if, the are reunited. (unless the are going to die in some tragic Romeo and Juliet fashion at the end of this tale..:()

And though you don't give away Lacus is alive, you certainly give some not-too-subtle hints she is indeed, alive. I eagerly wait to see her again (or you confirm her death, very clearly), and see how she is feeling about this.

Odd the parallels between Gil and Kunai. Both seem to underestimate the damage Kira can do to them. I do hope both are really knocked off their high thrones.

Very JIHAD like scenario you got going- sickening and undoubtedly a good job of creating sympathy from the readers- much more than what was going on in JIHAD (even though people like Cray and Frost were once innocent and terribly brutalized by JIHAD to become what they were, was hard to feel sympathy for such monsters, especially ones that seemingly embrace it so much)

Halloween time..this isn't going to end well. But, I am still skeptical of Frost's ability to get the children by pretending to be Kira- especially with people who know him very well there.

Very nice multiple-set up and revealing chapter.
Asmus chapter 11 . 7/9/2010
I have to say, I do envy you a bit. It is more than obvious that you love to write about the Edenite culture and civilization. Introducing something you've spent a lot of time creating is one hell of a joy. Too bad I have a long road ahead of me before I can do the same.

Anyway, the Sai and Hiero scene was good. I really like Hiero for having the balls to stand against Sai, despite the immense power the latter possesses.

I kind of suspected that Sai's plan was to corrupt Kira and then have him join the Edenites. It looks like USN is a lot more powerful than most people think if Sai, probably the most informed person when it comes to army strength, understands that Edenites need Kira, just to have a chance. With that I completely agree. USN has a strong strategic advantage, the literary high ground, and they don't have to fear their soldiers getting emotionally too involved in battle. (I addressed it in a previous PM some time ago.) On the other hand, killing Earthlings (by the way do you have a term for normal humans? "Earthlings" sound a bit too ... strange) doesn't generate the emotional backlash, so it will be a lot easier for Edenites to kill Humans.

Like already mentioned, Durandal does need someone to gloat to. Mostly because he doesn't have a worthy opponent, someone equal. At least for now. I still think he should have put a bullet in Noah's head and be done with it. The entire scene had one big "massive payback approaching" written all over it. You know, it would be funny if Noah and Durandal ended up in opposite roles. This time with Noah being the one doing the gloating while Durandal has nothing but funny remarks.

The part with Meyrin left me conflicted. Part of me is horrified by the atrocities performed by FEAR. However, another part of me realizes, that is one of the ways of gaining knowledge. Yes, it's terrible and inhuman, but knowledge is knowledge. For example, during WW2, Imperial Japan had a special division (Unit 731), who performed various experiments on POWs. The experiments were pretty much similar to the ones you described. After the war was over, it is believed that US took the research data of those experiments for themselves.

Thing is some of the knowledge is actually pretty useful. For example, they experimented on how high pressure affects people and how long it takes for them to die. Today, that knowledge, gained in a horrible way, lets us know what to expect when someone is exposed to a high pressure environment. We can therefore design adequate safety measures, doctors know what might and will go wrong and how to possibly treat it and so on. I guess this is the part where knowledge gained by inhuman means, can be used for good in the right hands.

So Frost is going trick-or-treating and he's even wearing a Kira costume. I'm sure he'll get lots of candy. Despite being inside the same house with Frost, I think Cagalli and Athrun will be safe. Frost is after the kids after all, so the parents are safe ... for now. Don't know why, but my guess is that Allister will be the first one to fall into Frost's hands. His abduction will definitely make the biggest impact. Especially sine Cagalli and Kira are not on the best terms right now.

Anyway, I'm waiting for the next chapter. By the way, when we'll finally se Alkire, Raine and Ashino? You've left them out of the story long enough and I do miss them. Furthermore, what exactly is that unpleasant experience/exposure Raine suffered in GE?
LightningEarl chapter 11 . 7/9/2010
Zutara: About the crying you a river, building a bridge and getting over it, I have to say; been there, done that.

Hiero is love. Yes, pure love. Being able to stand up against Kunai, that's what I'm talking about! He might be able to steal my bias for Kira... Hmmm... I was wondering about Sai's condition and how he could walk. Thanks for explaining that. I now fear him. If he's really that powerful, then USN must complete their anti-psychics project because if they don't, they might as well go into space without their spacesuits and get it over with.

I'd like to mention this, I am an ORB SUPPORTER! Is that plausible? Orb has the potential to unite the Edenites and humans. They could also convince other humans to convert themselves to Edenites. With Orb's major players working together, there's nothing they can't do! - Sounds something that came from a cheesy anime tag line.

I have mixed feeling about Noah. I mean, I've gone through hating him and then loving him and then hating him again and vice versa. But now, I have neutral feelings. He seems to be plotting something once he escapes. And it's really weird for him to warn Durandel. What is happening to Noah? And Durandel is a big idiot for underestimating Orb, it's occupants and Kira. GAWD! Durandel should just die. I kinda liked the idea of Frost killing Durandel. Hehehehe... Frost can be related to extreme pain. Yum.

I feel bad for the edenites held captive by FEAR. It's a good thing you didn't go into detail much. If you did, I might have to say goodbye to my good night sleep. The picture of their grotesque bodies is horrifying. McNabb is a bully. A coward one at that. Well, all of them are. But anyways, I hate him for making Meyrin's life a lot more miserable! Meyrin should cut the guy's penis and let it bleed thoroughly. *I can't believe I said that... .*

The innuendos in this chapter is a bit cheesy and hilarious. LOL at Cagalli, Athrun and their beloved space monster. I was shocked at Allister change of attitude, I can't believe he's the same mature child that gave the stormhounds' training in their PUMAs a lot difficult. But I guess that's understandble after the death of his friends. I'm not a psychologist so I can't really say anything for sure.

Frost will leave the ORBITES in despair and Kira will be the one to take the blame. How lovely. This will make things easier for Kira to evolve into Dark Kira. :P

gatorfan chapter 11 . 7/8/2010
I had been wondering how Sai was walking if he was still paralyzed. I hadn't even considered he was using his psychic powers, which actually sound quite scary. I wouldn't try to pick a fight with him.

It was nice to see Noah again, and I can't believe I just said that. He's right though, Gil should listen to him about Kira. I hope Noah is able to escape one day.

I do feel sorry for Meyrin and the other Edenites having to undergo all that torture. Despite the bad things she did, like using that cannon, she doesn't deserve to be treated that way.

And now Frost's night is here. I've been worried about that. I hope everyone will survive it. It's a shame the two people who would know it's not Kira aren't there. Katie needs to get herself to earth asap.

Keep up the awesome work and I'll be impatiently awaiting the next chapter.
OrangeP47 chapter 11 . 7/8/2010
Oh dear, being called out for my marginal (at best) support of the USN. I suppose I better make a statement, despite my hesistancy to clog up the review section.

Let me put it this way Zutara. The USN isn't past the point of no return. I'm confident that once the "evil" as you put (I don't really like to think of things in terms of good and evil, really) is purged, the USN governmental structure can still exist and continue to keep the majority of humanity in some semblance of order. As said in your review, despite dismissing it, the leadership doesn't reperesent the people very well. The vast majority are good, honest people. As such, while the USN's actions are very regretable, every defeat they suffer is more burden placed squarely on the shoulders of the common folk. The big shots aren't going to be feeling those Edenite victories, your average Joe on the street is.

Pesonally, I hope that Ashino and his crew somehow manage to cut off the head of the USN and come into power themselves. I'm not sure if he'll take a diplomatic approach to New Eden, but it'll atleast be a better situation then we have now.

In closing, didn't Maderfole say something awhile back about setting up some forums on his account or something. Perhaps that would be a better place to debate such issues.
Jman12394 chapter 11 . 7/8/2010
Frost's BACK!

can't wait to see what everyone's reaction's are going to be when they find out that forst has kira's body.

the difference between the way luna and shinn lives and the way mayrin lives was brought home this chapter. the people at the lab are SUCH nasty people. i wonder what would happen if kira went to the PLANTs and broke meyrin and noah out? it would certaintly be interesting

kunai is a very heartless guy. he KNEW lacus and the kids were going to die and didn't do anything. so mean. i also thing kunai is sai.

thats all and please update soon. i want to know what happens next.

also where's stella?
LordRevanMandaloreofZutara chapter 11 . 7/8/2010
Reclamation War, Chapter 11 Review Part 2

Part 2: Kunai, Hiero, and the War Against Nazi USN continued

Will they still be as weak and powerless against the Chimera, or will the Chimera find that once more Humans have gained extensive power over the planet. Just a thought.

Part 3: Noah, Durandel, and Noah’s Unusual Words

This is what I have been waiting for, ever since Noah was captured and ED ended. It was, decent. I guess the reason for me not enjoying it more is the fact that Noah is actually warning Durandel. Which caught me off guard. Why would NOAH, give any kind of friendly warning to DURANDEL? It makes no sense. Though after a little thought, I guess Noah has come to value Durandel slightly, since it seems aside from FEAR doctors, he is the only ones who visits Noah in his jail cell.

Still the scene was amusing in some aspects. Durandel is so arrogant. What he seems to have forgotten is that he is human, and all humans fall. It does not matter who they are. He also should re-familiarize himself with one of my favorite Bible verses, “Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.” It does not matter who you are, self-serving, haughty Pride will destroy you. And no matter what I feel about Kira Yamato, he is not a fly. Nor are any members of the CF or Orb. They may be weak now, especially with their Independence Bill going through your Tricamerial Legislature, but that does not mean they cannot recover. So just enjoy your time on the top Durandel. That Pride will come back, and when it does, I hope it is in the form of a rejuvenated Noah. Oh yesss, what an scene that will make.

Part 4: Evil Finds A Way

Truthfully I enjoyed the Meyrin part of Cold Front the best. Well, actually I did not. But it was what captured my attention the most. It wasn’t just because of her, but because the true evil of FEAR is now revealed. I don’t know how anyone can support the USN after this. I know what some may argue, that this is only one segment of the USN, that it does not represent the will of the people or some other such nonsense. That is bull. I have compared the USN to the Nazis numerous times before. And this chapter only goes to prove my comparison. The USN and Germany under Hitler are virtually identical. There may not be the same virulent hate for the Edenites that there was for the Jews, but the USN people don’t trust the Edenites. I mean, the Edenites are psychic, yes, but what exactly is the crime they have committed that they deserve TO BE DISCETED WHILE ALIVE! What is their crime! Will someone who supports the USN TELL ME? Is it the fact that they can peak into other’s minds? That they can lift objects without touching them? That they are aware of more things then the average human? Is it that they are DIFFERENT? Or is their crime simply that they are alive, alive and free to partake of the new Earth, the Eden, and live freely, live without some super government that controls every aspect of its citizen’s lives watching their every movement, every word they speak? Is that their crime? That they are alive, that they are free? Does the fact that they are alive, free, and aren’t equal to other “humans” mean they have to be rounded up, taken from their family, put into a Death Camp, punished if they exercise their natural abilities, and if they get too out of line they are dissected while alive? Is that the punishment they are to be afflicted with? If so, how can anyone support the USN?

Now to talk about Trooper Harry McNabb. What a despicable, perverted man. I may be weird most of the time, but there is just something so wrong with a guy stealing women’s underthings. I mean, what exactly is he going to do with it? Uhh, wait. I don’t won’t to know. Whatever he is going to do, even if it is just collect them, he is sick. He is one of those people that I cannot wait to see die. Right now I am liking Noah finding out about him, of course it would also be very satisfying to see Meyrin twist his neck, tear off his head, and play volleyball with it with the other Edenite prisoners. Now that would be a very nice scene. Maybe the intestines of the various scientists could be the net and the bodies of the Director and Roanoke can serve as the two polls to hold the net. (Its morbid, yes, but I think it is what those FEAR people deserve)

In the end, McNabb is just another bully, and a cowardly one at that. I am afraid that he might actually rape Meyrin, though hopefully that won’t happen. Still it is a possibility, one that if comes up I hope Meyrin gets a chance for some very cold revenge.

On a brighter note, it is very pleasing to see that Meyrin and Noah are more in love now then they were in ED. I still worry that you will kill the two off in the story, but hopefully you will be kind enough to let them see each other again before you do, if you kill them which I fervently request you do now. It is also nice to hear that those FEAR monsters haven’t discovered everything about Edenites yet. Hopefully it means that Noah has a few tricks up his sleeve.

One note of disappointment. I thought for sure that Lain would make an appearance here. It will be interesting to see what he thinks of Edenites. Since he is so odds with the USN government, I think he will view the Edenites more kindly, though one never knows. Still it would be very fitting that if, something in the future, if there is a prison break, Lain helps the Edenites. Still it is too early to tell what his beliefs and actions will be.

Part 5: Space Monsters, two Horny Monarchs, and Frost

So Allister is a space monster? That is funny. It is funny in a very creepy way, but still funny. After that there is not much to right, at least before Frost shows up. I mean, big deal, Cagalli and Athrun are still in love blah, blah, blah.

It seems kind of, convenient is the best word I can come up, that Athrun and Cagalli decided to have heavy sex and shut down Lexi so she can’t detect Frost. Still I see a problem. Frost is an Active, Kira is a Latent, I know that it is a very small difference between the two, but shouldn’t the computer have seen the difference and wouldn’t that raise a flag of warning? I guess the difference is too small to raise a warning, but I would have thought with the level of technology they have they should be able to see the difference and at least be curious about it. Oh well it wouldn’t be very scary if Frost got caught before he could do something.

Speaking of that, I am very curious to see what Frost has planned. I mean, he has too do something to make Orb pay. Wait, I just realized what it might be! I have been wondering what circumstances will lead to Kira joining the Edenites. I think I realize it now. Frost will impersonate Kira and do something against the USN. I am not sure what it will be, but he will disappear, and Cagalli and the others will have to cut Kira lose or lose the chance to gain their precious independence. That is what is going to happen. Maybe Durandel will come down to Orb for some reason or the other and Frost will take aim at him. Yes, that is what happens. Who knows, Frost might kill Durandel. Then Kira will have to flee into New Eden in order to escape wrongful persecution. This is further strengthened by the fact that Durandel basically told us what would happen if anything happened to him at the hands of “Kira”. That is so delicious.

Part 6: Concluding Statements

So things are moving right along. Frost has finally made it to his objective, and now will spend probably ten chapters or so making mischief which Kira will be blamed for. On the Edenite side of things we have learned that Kunai is apart of the Unifying Conclave, probably the leader, and some more of Garden City. Kunai’s remarks on Lacus were also expected, so nothing new was said in that department. One the USN side Durandel is gloating, and drunk on power. He is foolish.

In the reviewer department, since the Meyrin section I have found myself in a dark mood. As such I agree with AtrumUnas. It won’t hurt to get rid of a million or so evil people, especially if they all worked for the USN, FEAR, and the RI. Orange made a statement about Frost being Lilia’s love interest. I have a hard time believing that. I am sure that Frost could impersonate Kira successfully, at least against Earthlings, but surely all those nanites give off a weird scent or feel, and there is no way that Frost can make himself appear like Kira, not unless he a lot more adapt at deception then I give him credit for. I mean how could he hide such madness?

Well great chapter. I can't wait to see what Frost does. I am sure that it will be horrifying, but since I don't really like Kira I will love it.
LordRevanMandaloreofZutara chapter 11 . 7/8/2010
Reclamation War, Chapter 11 Review Part 1

Part 1: Author’s Note and Opening Comments

Anyone who decides to abandon the story just because Lacus was “killed” should have his/her head examined. To all those who are sitting on the fence, LACUS IS NOT THE BE ALL END ALL OF GUNDAM SEED! Is she an important character? Yes (unfortunately). Yet there is so much more to GS/GSD then simply her. This is especially true in Maderfole’s The Golden Age Trilogy. A masterful web of characters and plot has been weaven that makes Lacus by herself look like an insignificant speck. So, to all those on the fence, I want you to cry me a river, build a bridge, get over it, and then come back and join the rest of us reviewers who have been with Maderfole since ED or CC. There is still a lot more ground to be covered until the end, and I for one would love to see Maderfole get over 1,000 reviews for this story. Now, back to talking to you Maderfole. I guess you are right. Funny, I thought the Edenites would be the ones with the really Biotech, but BALORs is Biotech. Oh well, not that big of a deal I guess.

Seems like I was right on Dark Kira, Score! Though I will blame Kira for any angst that he expresses. Why? Because I despise him, and he should suck up his angst and not share it with us. That is part of his punishment for allowing Durandel to rule.

Okay with the Author’s note finished let me make some opening comments. As with most of your chapters I enjoyed it. I especially enjoyed the Meyrin part, though not just because of Meyrin. (Actually I did not enjoy it, but it got me fired up, and I mean really fired up) This is the chapter that I have been waiting for ever since it became clear that Meyrin and Noah would be captured. This is the chapter where the evil spirits of the USN, FEAR, and RI are revealed. To me this is the chapter that draws the line in the sand. You can either be on the side of the Edenites, or you can be on the side of the USN. You cannot be neutral in the face of this monstrous evil. You must either declare yourself for or against. I made my choice a long time ago, but I will once again declare so that any newcomer knows where I stand. I, LordRevan, am the reviewer enemy of the USN, FEAR, and Durandel. I am the ally of Yggdrasil, Kunai, Noah, Meyrin, and the Leviathan. With that said, on to the review.

Part 2: Kunai, Hiero, and the War Against Nazi USN

Though to me the true “heart” of this chapter is the Meyrin section, I will review this section first. It seems to me, the longer I am exposed to Hiero, that he is cut from the same mold of Kira and Lacus. Yet although I still am not entirely a hundred percent sure of what my feelings on him are I am still willing to give him a chance. Kira and Lacus were flawed from the very beginning, but Hiero outwardly reminds me of Molotov (I will be first to admit that the similarity is only skin deep though) so perhaps there is still hope for him. I would like to like him, since it is obvious that he cares for the Edenites, and he is trying. Only time will tell.

On the other hand I will give Hiero some credit. He has some BALLS walking (no, stomping) up to Kunai’s office like that. Sure, Latents are more powerful then we initially thought, but still compared to Actives they aren’t as powerful. Yes, being able to see the future is a wonderful gift, but it can’t be controlled consciously, and even if Hiero could use it in a fight, if he can move fast enough to escape Kunai it doesn’t mean anything. If you knew Kunai was about to rip your heart out in a few seconds, what good does that do you if you can’t stop him? So for him to stomp into the belly of the beast, into the office of a man who even the Praetorians won’t challenge either for training or for the leadership of their order, is quite impressive. So perhaps there is hope for you yet, Hiero. If you can purge yourself of your “Lacus Admiration Disorder” then you will be a very fine character.

Moving on. It is nice to hear some Edenite expressions. They seem to be very practical. Also, like Skyfall pointed out, Kunai is doing something different this time in regards to leading the Edenites. Maybe Yggdrasil pointed this out to him, or maybe Kunai just decided this on his own, but the people in charge of a nation always catch the blame for anything that happens, whether it be good or bad. If everything works out, then you can have a beloved leader (like Lincoln, though that particular situation could have gone south so many times it is not funny, shivers) or they could be a hated leader (like Buchanan! Damn his weak willed convictions!). With Kunai as the power behind the scenes, operating in a way similar to Lacus, he can push the blame of misfortunes onto Hiero or whoever else actually “runs” Garden City, while retaining his shine. I also appreciate his honesty. *

•On a side note, I must say you have done an excellent job turning my opinions on Sai around. Perhaps it is simply that I am older and (hopefully) more mature that my opinions have changed on Sai, but I really rather like him right now. I know that it is cruel to sacrifice those thirty so people to the USN’s Maiden (and what a bloodthirsty, ruthless, cruel, and evil Maiden she is), but here is my point. Durandel is just like Hitler. He came up into power at a time of extraordinary crisis (Great Depression/Eden Disaster). Through a series of speeches, force of arms, and judicious legislation, both men attained vast power and control over their respective countries. They then proceeded to build up their militaries while at the same time directing their populace’s hatreds toward a smaller ethic group (Jew/Edenites). As time went on the persecutions increased. Death camps were built and millions died. World War II as we know it could have been avoided if those weak willed politicians and populations of the Allies and the Soviet Union had invaded Germany as soon as Hitler reoccupied the Rhineland instead of appeasing him. But they ignored Churchill’s warning and gave Hitler time to rearm and turn Germany into a deadly war machine.

•In the Edenite’s defense, they are not responsible for allowing Durandel to rise. As I have already pointed in some other reviews, that deed goes to Kira and Lacus, with some credit going to the CF and Orb and I shall not waste more time ranting on their roles. What I will say is that now Kunai and the other Edenites are ready. Seven years have passed, and New Eden has stabilized. True, it is not the perfect world Noah envisioned, but we humans are imperfect beings. We can only try, and the Edenites have done a much better job of building an orderly and just society then the USN has. Is their society perfect? No. The mere fact that you said they require Deathstalker venom to contain criminals is an indication that all is not well. But that does not subtract from what they have achieved. In my opinion, they are more Human then the so called “Humans” of the USN.

•In addition to being ready, the Edenites know that the USN is not their friend. The Humans and probably the Chimeras understand what happened during the Night that was Day. They know that Durandel is taking Edenites and putting them in what can only be called Death Camps. And it does not take a genius to figure out what FEAR is doing in its Death Camps, even if the Edenites cannot sense the pain emanating from their captured brethren. As such Kunai was correct in pushing the envelope now. The casualties are sad, but how many humans have the RI taken since they were formed, and the USN military before them? It was more then thirty-three, I believe I can say that safely. So instead of allowing Durandel to get away with his evil, Kunai and Yggdrasil have begun their plan. Will people get killed? Yes. Will there be pain, suffering, and torture? Yes. But just because some one is just and righteous does not mean they are soft (AKA Nice). There are times when everyone needs to suffer, everyone needs to feel pain, so that the world may be freed of its tyrants, those who would commit evil, and the life of the world may move forward into broad, sunlit uplands. The Children are blind. The Conclave and GreenCo understand what must be done.

Moving on from their conversation, Garden City is certainly impressive. With much of its population underground, they should be better protected against WMD strikes by the USN if the USN ever attacks Garden City directly. Though wouldn’t earthquakes be a problem? Also it is nice to see some big birds. For a while I thought that you had forgotten about them… It is also interesting that you choose Roc as the name of the Neo-Eagle. Harry Turtledove wrote a series called Atlantis in which the Eastern seaboard of North America broke off and the man who would eventually settle it was drawn to the land by tales of the Roc.

Anyway, wrapping up. I see that you couldn’t let go of the name Griffen. Personally I never had any emotional investment in the name of Kira’s Orb Gundam, still it is nice to see that the shuttle that the Edenites use has a name. By the way, when are you going to put Noah and Meyrin’s bio up? Anyway, Lilia seems to be taking out her frustration/anger on this Alexander, who seems to be an Arboreal Praetorian.

One a side note, you have made it a point to mention several times how Human Edenites are inferior when it comes to the Chimera and the Grand Chimera. The question I have, which is less of a question then it is a mere spoken thought, is what will a Neo-Human be to a Chimera, or a Grand Chimera? If Edenites (UCs) are the gateway, then what will the final product be like? You mentioned that Akira and Aoi were nothing special, at least compared to their parents. Yet what will happen if/when they reach their full potential?

Continued in Reclamation War, Chapter 11 Review Part 2
OrangeP47 chapter 11 . 7/8/2010
Before I begin the review proper, as I've been saying "It's good to see Frost again".

Now that that's out of the way, a few points to make. First, I like the part in Garden City. Seems alot more to my liking then I'd thought it would be. Modern buildings and all, not some tree hugging tent city. The mention of a comerical district though got me thinking about that discussion we had awhile back about the USN and capitalism, though I'm hesitant to start debating that right away again.

Moving on, was kind of surprised Meyrin was used for low level experementation, but then again, not really surprised. I swear I've heard that guard's name before, Reno 911 maybe? I have alot of other thoughts on the matter of our first look into FEAR's base, but nothing really outstanding. Maybe a jailbreak a some point would be nice, though.

As for the end, cliffhanger, *rages*. Though I wonder if Frost knows the kids aren't home, or maybe he's going to wait for the sleepover, tricking everyone into thinking Kita's gotten better. Old Frost wouldn't do that, not patient enough. But this Frost... yeah... I'm gonna put my money on that.

Oh, lastly, I noticed some people were discussing who might be Lilia's love interest. I'm going to say Frost. Why, because it would be so out of left field and hilarious at the same time. For a little clarification, Frost would be pretending to be Kita, of course, but still...
1,424 | « Prev Page 1 .. 75 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 .. Last Next »