Reviews for The Beauty of Freedom
voodooqueen126 chapter 1 . 3/19
Good, but slightly unsubtle.
Alexandria Forever 21 chapter 17 . 3/1
They kissed! Finally! :P You have no idea how long I've been anticipating that very moment. I love their romance and the dynamic between them. Both raised in aristocratic, high society under the dominance of their fathers, and they both defied them in different ways. I love how you showed the contrast between wealthy families in the Capitol and the wealthy families of the Districts (specifically from One) throughout each chapter of the story.

The scene with Cashmere and Felix was lovely. (You probably expected me to mention this. ;) ) I won't spoil anything for the readers who may be seeing this review by providing too much and many quotes, but I can see the small, subtle hints alluding to the secret of Drusilla's in 'Unintended.' ;)
Good job. I love author like you who try to keep readers happy and entertained, not angsty at all!
This is a lovely new take on the HGs good job.
P.Mellark chapter 1 . 12/28/2013
Just wanted to say that this is my second time reading this ;) It's the most realistic and well written fic I've found of Cashmere's games and I just wanted to go back to it and enjoy reading it again. I hope that by the time I get to your most recent fic in this series that it will be complete :)
Anonymous chapter 19 . 12/14/2013
I'm glad this ended here. I wanted Cashmere's horrors to be over, as much as possible, and just leave the story the way it was. For the umpteenth time, thank you!
Anonymous chapter 16 . 12/14/2013
One of the most action packed chapters! Thanks!
Anonymous chapter 11 . 12/13/2013
It's gettin' to the heart of the story! Thank you again for making a story to stimulate my imagination! While at the beginning of the book, the protagonist seemed overly "wordy", it conveyed that she was a survivor, steely, and more than just a beautiful face. Now it seems the character's narrative is sliding more comfortably into a tone I imagine is a better fit for her. Thanks again!
Anonymous chapter 5 . 12/12/2013
I wanted to tell you that there's a section where you mention skin color, species, and refinement. That seems like it's skating the edge of racism, and as a woman of color, it made me uncomfortable to read.

That aside, I really am enjoyed the fanfiction. I find the the protagonist sounds too well worded and intellectual, but I really enjoy the effort put into it, and am finding it entertaining and stimulating to my imagination. Thank you!
Alexandria Forever 21 chapter 16 . 11/26/2013
This was such a brilliant, emotional chapter! So stunning!

"'And I'm just a girl, Marcia. A girl who wants to go home.'" I love how this applies to every participant in the Games, even to Dahlia. It's not that they kill because they're bored with nothing better to do, but because they all desperately long to return home, alive. Marcia was one of my favorites, and it was very sad to see her go. However, of course, her death, along with Octavian's and everyone else's (aside from Cashmere's), was inevitable. I was still saddened to see one of the most sensible tributes go.

How old is Octavian, precisely? I pictured him around fourteen when I read him, but if I recall correctly, Cashmere mentioned him to be a bit older than he looked and behaved.

Cashmere's scene with Davena actually had me in tears! Her last words to her family and thanking Cashmere for comforting her were written so beautifully and it was heartbreaking. "What's she thanking me for? I'm about to take her life."

It was such a nice, albeit temporary, moment of comedic relief during such an emotionally-charged scene when Davena joked about names. I did laugh quite a bit when Cashmere became defensive over her name. After borderline-obsessing over your stunning stories, I had forgotten how silly a name like Cashmere would sound outside District One (and outside the Hunger Games universe as well). So that was a great way to poke some fun at it. ;)

Although they weren't particularly fond of each other, I loved seeing how Dahlia and Cashmere formed a mutual respect for each other; they both deserved that much. No sadistic acts on Dahlia's side, no condescending remarks on Cashmere's. When Cash pulled out the dagger she had received many chapters ago and used it to earn her victory, I loved how it mirrored what Corvinus did to deceive the muttation earlier in the story, and I was as shocked as Dahlia was when it happened. So clever!
Alexandria Forever 21 chapter 15 . 11/26/2013
Not Corvinus! :( After Cashmere, he was my favorite, and I remember getting teary-eyed the first time I read this. (Doesn't mean it was any less heartbreaking to read this time around.) But Cashmere had to end up fighting against one of the District Two pair, I'm glad it wasn't him. That would've been too emotional for me to handle. ;)

I can't imagine how I'd feel if I were in Cashmere's position, trapped in a sunless arena without an ally. I would probably lose it if I were alone in there.
Alexandria Forever 21 chapter 14 . 11/26/2013
District Two were the stars of this chapter! I loved reading about Dahlia and Corvinus, especially Dahlia's moment after the mutt scene. Her character really shined when her emotions started to show, when it seemed she felt something along the lines of betrayal after the trap. And Corvinus is so smart! "Twenty-five opponents not twenty-three." I loved that! It was nice seeing that he's the sensible half of the District Two duo.

Silly Sheen, thinking he can try to abandon Cashmere and District Two without suffering the consequences. But I know he'll get what's coming to him soon enough. ;)
Alexandria Forever 21 chapter 13 . 11/25/2013
I'm glad to see a bit of another character's backstory. Corvinus' little moment about him and Astraea was perfect, and I'm as curious as Cashmere is to know more. But unfortunately, he can't give away too much of himself, now can he? ;)

I'm really starting to like Marcia, and I know she'll continue to grow on me as the story continues to progress. She's pretty confident, impressive, and I'm sure she didn't match Cashmere's score of nine by doing nothing.
Alexandria Forever 21 chapter 12 . 11/25/2013
Clever Falco. I was pleased to see how he shows he cares for Cashmere when he warns her about that room. It was also really nice that you showed how Careers get special advantages in the arena that tributes from lower districts don't. Better, preferential treatment for the more highly favored districts. ;) It's as if the Careers' odds are deliberately curved in their favor. Love it!

I still wanted to know more about the District Nine girl before she died! How did she get that seven in training?! Now I'll never know; I blame Sheen. :P

This is such a creative, unique arena! Terrifying beyond belief, sure, but very well-designed, detailed, and phenomenal! How do you do it?

I love how you introduced the ornate dagger early in the story yet it doesn't appear again until much later. It really adds to the element of surprise when it does reappear. I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't finished it yet, but just know I thought it was brilliant!
Alexandria Forever 21 chapter 11 . 11/25/2013
*sigh* I apologize once again for my inconsistency with these reviews. Real life has been getting in the way for so long! But anyways, on to the review...

I was smiling so brightly when Cashmere slapped that Sheen. He totally deserved that, especially after taunting her the way he did. I know I shouldn't be amused by one's pain, but sometimes, if it's Sheen's, it can't be helped. ;)

I've read this story a couple times (maybe four or five ;), but the mystery of District Eight still makes me curious. Sheen killed her in the bloodbath, according to Cashmere, but if his claim that he killed her when he was out is true, what did Cashmere really see?

I can't believe after reading this so many times, I just realized when Cashmere ducked down, the smaller screeching noise was Sheen trying to nab a cheap shot on her. I knew it happened, just not then! Wow, I can be so slow.

Anyways, I love Cashmere and Corvinus' friendship, and it's amazing he saved her from ending up on Sheen's kill list. Yay Corvinus!

Another brilliant chapter by the remarkable Caisha!