Reviews for A Different Homecoming
Nightcrawlerlover chapter 1 . 11/6/2010
This is.. really beautiful, and very well-written, too. :) I especially like this part:

Mother and daughter ate dinner in companionable ease, each knowing full well that the conversation to follow would be anything but that. After dinner they took seats in the living room. Once they were seated Buffy spoke first. "Mom, I think we need to go back to the beginning, and believe me, I do not want to reopen old wounds, but I need to talk about everything that has been happening to me since I was fifteen. Some of these things you are aware of, but most you have no idea about. All I ask is that you listen, ask me questions, ask me to repeat anything, explain anything, anything at all; believe me, I will not lie or exaggerate in any way."

Joyce agreed. She listened. For the first time in her life, Joyce listened to every word her daughter said. She interrupted often either for clarification or because what she was hearing was just so impossible to believe. At one point Buffy interrupted their talk to take her mother up to her bedroom and show her evidence of what she was saying. Joyce saw it all - the weapons, the bloody clothes, the first aid kit that Buffy kept hidden in her bathroom.

"But Buffy, how can you do all of these things? Why do you do all of these things?"

To show her mother 'how', Buffy demonstrated her incredible strength by bending a one-inch iron rod into a pretzel shape with practically no effort. As for 'why', Buffy repeated Giles' favorite quote: 'In each generation etc., etc.'

After all the questions were answered, the explanations were made, and the demonstrations were done, Joyce walked over to Buffy and took her in her arms. She ran her hand over Buffy's hair and up and down her back. Tears ran down her face as she said, "So you really have no choice in this, do you?"

"No, mom, I don't."

"Honey, I am so sorry. All these years in my ignorance of who you really are I have under estimated you, criticized you, and generally made your life so much worse than it had to be."

"It's O.K., mom. You weren't supposed to know and besides, I was trying to protect you."

"Oh, Buffy." Joyce held her daughter in her arms and in her heart she made a promise to Buffy and to herself: 'Never again will I allow anything to come between me and my daughter. From this day forward my daughter will always know that she has my love, my support and my respect.'

Joyce kept her promise.

Very nice ending sentence too. :)

Keep up your super-neat, very brilliant and creative writing! :)
BelovedSlayer chapter 1 . 6/5/2010
I like this. I think this is what should had happened in the canon, something to lessen the weight of the world that Buffy had to carry in season two and three.
mmooch chapter 1 . 6/5/2010
Aww, love that you worked in Giles' quote there at the end about support and respect. Such a better way for that night to go!