Reviews for New Hope
bladefax chapter 3 . 4/9/2011
Loved the finale...look forward to more stories from you.
RionaEire chapter 3 . 4/6/2011
Long story, but fun enough to read. I liked Mal and Inara and Simon and Kaylee getting married at the end, that made me smile. But let us start at the beginning: In chapter one Inara says "beholdin'" I don't think Inara says things in dialect like that. I liked the "whispy emerald clouds" description when they are landing. Jayne sure got himself into a cultural misunderstanding, but that usually makes for a cute story. I'm glad those two learnt to love each other, Jayne and Liz, even if it took them a while. I think it was absolutely unfair for them to keep the cat even though Jayne is allergic and doesn't feel comfortable having one, I don't care if they like it, this is a crew that shares this ship and so we have to live in a cohesive situation, so I think that attitude against Jayne was totally not okay, it actually made me feel sorry for him, surprising as that may be. It was unlike Inara to say she "would get" Stemple, not very discrete and considering her knowledge of Liz's feelings about her profession I don't think Inara would talk in such a straight up fashion about it in front of her. Its nice that River gets to fly the ship when she's lucid and Mal can take over when she isn't. I enjoyed seeing how Mimzy likes Wash's dinos and how River enjoys arranging/playing with them. I doubt that Inara, fine and fancy Inara, would be sleeping on a cot. When River goes to the camp to find Jayne I hope it isn't too far away, I know she's lucid that day so its probably fine for her to go alone, but if something should change then I'd be concerned about her going too far by herself. But like I said she was lucid that day so a-okay. I felt like you tried to cram too much into chapter 3, what with the Tam parents and Monty and all, but it was cool to see it all work out at the wedding party, that made me smile. I was confused about the part where the wave is coming and it swallows up the Reavers and our heroes are plucked up to safety. But how did all the brides down there escape the wave? That wasn't made clear. I chose to gloss over the part about River's husband and whether I think he's suitable since it is an afterthought in the story.

Riona
skywiseskychan chapter 3 . 4/6/2011
Its an interesting end you’ve given things. Especially as freedom isn't really what he's earned for all of his troubles. True, he is now free in a different way, but he has much less than he did even at the end of the series and on the run.
bladefax chapter 2 . 6/25/2010
Good storyline...like to see where it goes. Keep up the good work.
skywiseskychan chapter 2 . 6/21/2010
Its a fun story, the only questionable part I see is Jayne not getting into a terrible fistfight in this chapter. He really is a rather violent man.
Bytemite chapter 1 . 6/19/2010
I kind of am uncertain about this whole premise. Those women got on the ship without knowing what they were getting into, what would be waiting for them at this colony. Mal took them on his boat without knowing what they were getting into. Russian brides, etc., that entire industry is far too close for comfort to the human trafficking business. Women are forced into it. I'm having trouble imagining Mal being quite this naive.

Brandywine here could, though. *smirk*

And he's got a distinct point about... about FORCING Jayne and the girl to marry. It's definitely not fair to Jayne, and what about the GIRL? Wo de tian ah, what does she think or want about it? She's spent more than a half hour in Jayne's company, the man is walking Id, this can't be what she wants, a loveless marriage with a man who detests her. And Mal's marrying her off like Saffron got married off to him? When it was so wrong before and he had such a problem with it?

And Mal having no issue taking a steady paying job? He's never wanted to be a kept pet, either, unless Miranda changed him in ways that haven't quite been explained. He'd be agreeing with Jayne here, but torn with his loyalty to Zoe. Ultimately, he'd have to act in accordance to his own principles ("wind blows northerly"), I don't see him taking it, which Zoe would be angry about, and would be a good reason for her to leave Serenity. It's been pretty heavily suggested with recent new material that Zoe's going to leave.
Brandywine00 chapter 2 . 6/18/2010
Loving this story! Great plot, great characters and wonderful interaction/voice for each of them.

This has to be one of Mal's worst plans to date. How did he think Jayne was going to react to a forced marriage to a girl he hadn't even wanted to sleep with? And then everyone takes sides against him, when to his mind, he's not done a thing wrong, and expects him to just suddenly become Mr. Contented Married Man. I do like the character you've created for Liz, though, and can see her side of things, but for Mal to put a) the contract; b) a stranger and finally c) the cat that makes him sneeze in front of the man who's been with him through Miranda and all? Yeah, I'd have gotten off the ship, too. Not to mention (heaven help them when he finds out) that Mal and Justin colluded to make his life hell while he was hired out (like a slave) to the camp!

Liked the scene between Jayne and Liz there at the end, which ties in with the initial scene with Inara... he's never bedded a virgin, and doesn't think he's worthy to keep her. I'm guessing maybe the whole kids issue is less his aggravation with them and maybe more his worry that he won't be a good father or someone they can look up to or maybe even still alive long enough to raise them and then Liz would be stuck with no husband to support her and her babies. Just an impression.

Putting this fantastic story on alert, and can't wait for the next installment!
LFVoy chapter 1 . 6/6/2010
I loved this (and I caught the "Ishmael" references right away - that's one of my favorites). Can't wait to see the next one, and especially how well Jayne adjusts to married life. :)