Reviews for The Kindness of Strangers
wishfulliving89 chapter 1 . 3/17/2012
i like it. very well written. are u planning on making this a bit longer or this is a one-shot.
Jazzy Blue chapter 1 . 6/8/2011
Good story, very well written overall but I have a few niggles. Mainly about Varon's monologue after he and jounochi are found by the staff. It kinda jarred me out of the story. They are in juvie and like in prison not all sex is consentual. So finding two kids together, one (who's sixteen and probably much stronger physically) and another with a bleeding face in the place they're in really should ring alarm bells. I don't think the staff would think that jono was an innocent seduced. Jono being forced be a prison bitch doesn't seem an unlikely assumption to make. It seems to me the staff reaction was to a violent sex offender (remember bleeding face! and Varon does have a history of violence) then O NOES! gay sex which is EVUUL and must be punished. So although I know the story's written in a sympathetic narrative, (so to expect the staff to be demonised abit) it still bothered me a bit. The staffs actions considering the circumstances seem completely justified in their actions if just to save their own skins from accusations of neglect. It just seems to me that section of the story more like the author's voice, trying to make a point then the characters themselves. If anything it seems to me that Varon should be swearing revenge on the ones who framed him and the penal system rather then the staff. I don't know unless am missing that the whole thing is meant to a tragedy of miscommunication. Wow, long post. _' Other then that small complaint, good job! Keep it up!
SonnetST chapter 1 . 2/26/2011
FINALLY! I find a good Valon story! This is great, I love how you play with both Joey and Valon's characters as well as given them an interesting backstory and a segue into where their anime memories pick up.
aquabless chapter 1 . 10/10/2010
o.o i remember reading this story -_-' guess i forgot to review. . . still pretty good :3
Death101- Fox Version chapter 1 . 6/8/2010
Awesome job! I really liked the irony of the piece. Awesome job!

-d101
SamCyberCat chapter 1 . 6/7/2010
Really, really... wow! Honestly I was expecting a really good story when I asked for the prize but I wasn't expecting a 9,000 word piece of epic AWESOME. (Awesome has to be in capslock for effect. :P) This was really very enjoyable, in it's dark way and works well with the continuity you've created - because I'm pretty sure I remember you talking about Valon's mother in a similar way in another story. You've got such a memory for details, a wonderful talent to have. I felt really bad for both of them in the middle, more so for Valon. It felt right that it was told by him and everything that happened seemed like one more nail in what he would become when dartz gets there. His meeting with Sister Mary Catherine was very heartwarming too, I liked that you gave her a sharp wit during their conversation because it would take a heck of a lot to get Valon's trust. Favourite parts have to be the bit about his cursing and when Jounouchi gets referred to by "Whispered the problem". That made me laugh a little.

Thank you so much for this! It's more than I deserve but it's very much appreciated at the same time. Brilliant all over!