Reviews for A Game of Chess
Kats02980416 chapter 1 . 1/15/2004
This is a great story. I'm loving the details of their wedding. Totally sweet.
Aurora West chapter 22 . 1/14/2004
Incredible story. I suppose if I was a really responsible reader I would have reviewed at the end of each chapter, but I couldn't wait to find out what happened next! Anyway, I hate to repeat myself, which is what I would have been doing. Anyway, I loved this story, I am going to put it on my favorite stories list, and...yeah. Thanks for writing this.
Linneleth chapter 22 . 1/13/2004
There are no words I can say to fully express my admiration for this masterful piece of work, yet nevertheless I will try. :) I laughed, I shed tears, I loved reading every word of it. Thank you so much for writing it! It has made many readers very happy.
I just love Eowyn and Faramir romances! And this is the best of them all.
wellduh chapter 22 . 1/10/2004
Thank you so much for writing this. I loved it. Very realistic, really; because a lot of what happened here really does happen in real life. Keep up the good work!
iamanumber chapter 22 . 1/1/2004
This was an incredibly good story. I enjoyed every part of it, from every point of view.
The style is amazing as well.
You have all my admiration.
Nithwen chapter 19 . 12/30/2003
That story was just incredible...I was very touched by your portrayal of Faramir and Eowyn. I love both these characters and have always wanted more details about what happens to them. Your story took them to places I hadn't imagined.
I was practically sobbing when Eowyn said 'But I would give you a new memory of it.' *applauds author for impressive use of repetitive dialogue*. And Eomer's mumblings (' - never trust a man that reads so much - ') were hilarious.
Many stories like this have so much sap they make me sick; but this story was very well written and will now be one of the first stories I consider when I think of good fanfiction. Thank you for writing it.
Fae chapter 22 . 12/27/2003
This is an incredible piece of work; all the love and sweat that you poured into this story certainly shows! Kudos to the author!
white raven chapter 22 . 12/23/2003
I came across this story just today through a live journal recommendation. I have just finished the epilogue.
May I say that this is one of the most enjoyable reads that I ever indulged in? Beautifully written. Your voice in this story is appropriately formal to the LotR genre but lacking the often overblown tones that many writers succumb to when attempting this style. It's not an easy one to adopt and you do with great mastery.
Chapter 19 and the epilogue just laid me out flat. All of your chapters have been expertly crafted but these two really stood out. You captured such natural and heartfelt emotion without sinking into overdone sentimentality or purple prose.
I am a great admirer of David Wenham as Faramir and imagined him as I read this delightful story. However, if I had discovered this sooner, with no visual reference from T, I would have fallen head over heels for your Faramir. He is extraordinary. Both strong and flawed and wrenchingly human. Your descriptions of post traumatic stress syndrome jumped off the page and the reader simply ached for the emotional pain this very brave and intelligent soul suffered.
You are, without a doubt, one of the best LotR fanfiction writers I have ever had the luck and pleasure to read. I think if JRR Tolkien read this, he would be thrilled to see what you have done with his two characters.
If you have not already done so, I strongly encourage you to pen an original and submit it for publishing. Your talent is obvious.
otahyoni chapter 22 . 12/22/2003
I just want you to know that I just read this entire story straight through. It was fantastic. My heart broke for Faramir and Eowyn the whole time, and yet you made me laugh out loud on several occasions (Imrahil thinking the King is prone to pronouncements of doom, Aragorn's awe that Faramir can alliterate spontaneously). Eowyn and Faramir are both spectacularly developed, and their reconciliation was everything I could have wanted in a story. I bawled through the whole last half. Your style fits Tolkien's world very well, and you use it comfortably. I'm deeply impressed and excited to read the rest of your stuff.
"I laughed, I cried; it moved me, Bob."
badly drawn girl chapter 22 . 12/1/2003
Well, I don't suppose once you hit the 200 mark that another review really amounts to much, but here's one more all the same.
It took me two nights to read it (and my psychology paper suffered greatly) but I couldn't help but continue on till the end. The characters were entirely believeable, both as creations of Tolkien and the added vision of the author. By constantly switching the voice of the story you kept me interested/intrigued. In addition, using both the voices of Éowyn and Faramir in scenes helped clarify a lot of the finer details. As many before me have said, the story was both witty and heart-wrenching, yet altogether realistic. Your diction and phrasing is perfect for a fan fic of the work of Tolkien.
OUTSTANDING piece. Not just because Faramir and Éowyn have always been 'favorite characters' of mine from the books, but also because you write so beautifully.
Cheers & Plexi Glass,
badly drawn girl
ShadowReader chapter 1 . 11/22/2003
I like this! Eowyn is perhaps my favorite character in LotR. Anyway, the writing style is wonderful, it is very reminiscent of Tolkien. Now for me to review the next chapter!
Redwood1 chapter 22 . 11/10/2003
A truly execlent character study with an engaging plot. Your portrals of Faramir and Eowyn were very realistic both in terms of belonging to Tolkin's world and as real people. Thank you for this lovely story and please continue to write.
Ariadne chapter 1 . 9/19/2003
Excellent work. However, i'm still puzzled that Éowyn didn't make it clear to Eómer that she was the one who tried tyo hit Faramir and that he didn't hit her, but bloked her hand.
Cathy chapter 22 . 9/19/2003
I finally finished reading this story and I LOVED it. Very nice and you kept the fic in the world of Tolkien. My onpy complaint is that I did not like that Farimir's son thought things like "Even I couldn't deny there was love there".
AerinBrown chapter 22 . 9/7/2003
I think that this was a magnificent story. Brilliantly marvelous, even. I quite enjoyed reading it.

And I was so glad that Eowyn and Faramir solved all their problems; it just wouldn't have been a good story if it didn't have a happy ending! (at least, that's my philosphy!)

I really do love your writing style. It has an almost...old-fashioned quality to it, which makes it perfect for writing LoTR fics. And the dialogue was wonderful; I've read too many stories where the dialogue doesn't match the time period, if that makes sense, but yours fits great.

Please keep writing!