Reviews for A Game of Chess
Fae chapter 22 . 12/27/2003
This is an incredible piece of work; all the love and sweat that you poured into this story certainly shows! Kudos to the author!
white raven chapter 22 . 12/23/2003
I came across this story just today through a live journal recommendation. I have just finished the epilogue.
May I say that this is one of the most enjoyable reads that I ever indulged in? Beautifully written. Your voice in this story is appropriately formal to the LotR genre but lacking the often overblown tones that many writers succumb to when attempting this style. It's not an easy one to adopt and you do with great mastery.
Chapter 19 and the epilogue just laid me out flat. All of your chapters have been expertly crafted but these two really stood out. You captured such natural and heartfelt emotion without sinking into overdone sentimentality or purple prose.
I am a great admirer of David Wenham as Faramir and imagined him as I read this delightful story. However, if I had discovered this sooner, with no visual reference from T, I would have fallen head over heels for your Faramir. He is extraordinary. Both strong and flawed and wrenchingly human. Your descriptions of post traumatic stress syndrome jumped off the page and the reader simply ached for the emotional pain this very brave and intelligent soul suffered.
You are, without a doubt, one of the best LotR fanfiction writers I have ever had the luck and pleasure to read. I think if JRR Tolkien read this, he would be thrilled to see what you have done with his two characters.
If you have not already done so, I strongly encourage you to pen an original and submit it for publishing. Your talent is obvious.
otahyoni chapter 22 . 12/22/2003
I just want you to know that I just read this entire story straight through. It was fantastic. My heart broke for Faramir and Eowyn the whole time, and yet you made me laugh out loud on several occasions (Imrahil thinking the King is prone to pronouncements of doom, Aragorn's awe that Faramir can alliterate spontaneously). Eowyn and Faramir are both spectacularly developed, and their reconciliation was everything I could have wanted in a story. I bawled through the whole last half. Your style fits Tolkien's world very well, and you use it comfortably. I'm deeply impressed and excited to read the rest of your stuff.
"I laughed, I cried; it moved me, Bob."
badly drawn girl chapter 22 . 12/1/2003
Well, I don't suppose once you hit the 200 mark that another review really amounts to much, but here's one more all the same.
It took me two nights to read it (and my psychology paper suffered greatly) but I couldn't help but continue on till the end. The characters were entirely believeable, both as creations of Tolkien and the added vision of the author. By constantly switching the voice of the story you kept me interested/intrigued. In addition, using both the voices of Éowyn and Faramir in scenes helped clarify a lot of the finer details. As many before me have said, the story was both witty and heart-wrenching, yet altogether realistic. Your diction and phrasing is perfect for a fan fic of the work of Tolkien.
OUTSTANDING piece. Not just because Faramir and Éowyn have always been 'favorite characters' of mine from the books, but also because you write so beautifully.
Cheers & Plexi Glass,
badly drawn girl
ShadowReader chapter 1 . 11/22/2003
I like this! Eowyn is perhaps my favorite character in LotR. Anyway, the writing style is wonderful, it is very reminiscent of Tolkien. Now for me to review the next chapter!
Redwood1 chapter 22 . 11/10/2003
A truly execlent character study with an engaging plot. Your portrals of Faramir and Eowyn were very realistic both in terms of belonging to Tolkin's world and as real people. Thank you for this lovely story and please continue to write.
Ariadne chapter 1 . 9/19/2003
Excellent work. However, i'm still puzzled that Éowyn didn't make it clear to Eómer that she was the one who tried tyo hit Faramir and that he didn't hit her, but bloked her hand.
Cathy chapter 22 . 9/19/2003
I finally finished reading this story and I LOVED it. Very nice and you kept the fic in the world of Tolkien. My onpy complaint is that I did not like that Farimir's son thought things like "Even I couldn't deny there was love there".
AerinBrown chapter 22 . 9/7/2003
I think that this was a magnificent story. Brilliantly marvelous, even. I quite enjoyed reading it.

And I was so glad that Eowyn and Faramir solved all their problems; it just wouldn't have been a good story if it didn't have a happy ending! (at least, that's my philosphy!)

I really do love your writing style. It has an almost...old-fashioned quality to it, which makes it perfect for writing LoTR fics. And the dialogue was wonderful; I've read too many stories where the dialogue doesn't match the time period, if that makes sense, but yours fits great.

Please keep writing!
Angel of Harlem chapter 1 . 9/7/2003
Wow. Okay, I'm reviewing this today because I couldn't bear to yesterday (I was sort of in a daze, a major part of which did in fact come from the story.) Yesterday I thought I had mixed feelings about this. Now, looking back, I have no idea where I came to that conclusion.

First off, I totally loved it, because it had beautiful descriptions and character portrayals and everything. And then I was sobbing hysterically during quite a few middle chapters (much to my embarassment, but I couldn't help it), which, I suppose is a good thing, but it wasn't exactly a good feeling. Well, then it wasn't. Now I'm very impressed. For a few chapters I actually thought they WEREN'T going to get back together, for which I would have been VERY angry with you. )

There are very few fan fictions for which I can actually say "I laughed, I cried." Of course, I did quite a bit more crying than laughing, but I did laugh at the diplomatic success line (I can't BELIEVE you almost didn't put that in - that's an awesome line!) and the part about Eomer grasping the pen in both hands. Very funny.

If I had to make one complaint (well, I don't have to, but I figured I should put it down anyway), it would be that Denethor did come across... somewhat cruel. Now, I know the varying portryals of Denethor and I KNOW this was not the meanest. But I do spend a lot of my time defending him. In any case, I bow to poetic license, because it worked spectacularly and it was necessary to portray him that way. So, hell, I can't really complain.

Anyways, I'm off to read the sequel - so obviously I did like it. Dunno, it's something about fan fics that actually seem like novels that really make me stop and think... and think and think and think.

So, you're amazing, so on and so forth. I bow to your greatness. P

-Daenerys Stormborn
Carolyn Mansour chapter 1 . 8/7/2003
I have been a Tolkien fan forever. I have collected books, commentaries etc, so much that I could fill a small library. I was content to stay with the published works of Tolkien. I never search for more, just accepted that was all he wrote. My sister, who is a late follower of Tolkien, it was only after seeing the second film that she decided to finally listen to her big sister a read his work, is also a writer and big fan off your work. Just last week she emailed me and told me about you. I have so enjoyed reading A Fire Sermon and Game of Chess. I truly felt that you where true to the spirit of Tolkien. I was grip by your story, I could not put it down and I intend to read it again because I know I will get more out it the second time. Your characterization of Faramir and Eowyn where so believable that I truly felt I was reading Tolkien. The way you described both of their childhood’s was truly insightful.

I don’t know how often you receive praise for you work, but whatever it is…it’s not enough. Please keep writing and I will be watching to see more.

Your Biggest Fan,

Carolyn
Melika chapter 22 . 7/26/2003
That was a really moving story, and so realistic! Lol, I got so into it, I was getting angry at Faramir and just generally sad that his and Eowyn's relationship seemed to be falling apart - I'm so glad the outcome was a happy one! It was really well-written, too, like reading an excellent novel for free online! I enjoyed this story, and I can't wait to read other stories by you!
jynkang chapter 1 . 7/20/2003
this is pure magic. what a story! please, write more F/E stories...I'm totally blown away your eloquence. simply astounding.
AllyrienDM chapter 16 . 7/9/2003
But I preferred the seal set in wood, for it seemed to me that, between us, my father, my brother and I had had little success with rings.

LOL.

I do so hope they get back together... *sniffle*
Lady of Imladris chapter 22 . 6/15/2003
It's my favourite story in the whole wide worldy, whole wide worldy *dances round singing whole wide worldy*. I can't be bothered to write sensible reviews. I first read this on HASA. *sings whole wide worldy* Yey. A game Of Chess is a Mithril Awards Finalist. *yells Whole Wide Worldy while drinking lucozade* I shouldn't have drunk lucozade. It makes me hyper *shouts whole wide worldy and runs out of room. Runs back in when I realize the internet costs money and I'll get in trouble if I leave it doing nothing. This si my longest ever review.

Bye