Reviews for A Game of Chess
Silindro chapter 22 . 1/11/2003
that was a beautifully written emotional roller coaster. i enjoyed it thoroughly and thank you for the finest three hours of my weekend.
Eraserhead chapter 22 . 1/3/2003
This story was so beautiful. I loved the use of vocabulary throughout. (So far the only story where I had to rely on the Fanfiction Dictionary.) The diction was wonderful. Please keep up the magnificent work.

Going onto my Favorite Author and Stories List.
Lady Berenice chapter 22 . 12/30/2002
This is so beautiful - so wonderfully complex and captured all the characters so perfectly.
Obviously Oblivious chapter 22 . 12/30/2002
That was so so so brilliant. There is actually no word to describe the amazing skill that you've carved that story with. Your prose is fluent and you capture each characters emotions, reactions and heart with such understanding its just awe-inspiring.

All the best,

~Katie
Pseudonym Sylphmuse chapter 22 . 12/27/2002
That was wonderful! And it actually had a moral too. It reminds a person how much chess is like life except that it was what we desire and not exactly what is true. Thank you for writing this story and in such a short time too. And I like this romance where the people talk and actually try to understand each other instead of going into lust. I'll be adding you to my favorite authors list and again thank you for writing this.
Lyra Lupin chapter 2 . 12/22/2002
So I'm only just beginning this, but wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! I think the other review speak for me as well.

Excellent writing style. Obviously you are a devotee to the Tolkein literature and to the English language.

I hope to read more from you! ~Lyra
Kikari chapter 22 . 12/20/2002
that was incredible, and i'm so happy to see my favorite character of LOTR, Faramir, portrayed so well. :D kudos to you...and i don't really have time to write a big review so i'll end it on a note that I really enjoyed this fic and it's one of my favorites
No name please delete chapter 22 . 10/25/2002
This is brilliant! Very painful to read, so very real. I love your writing style. I love how you manage to write about domestic violence and post-traumatic stress disorder without any modern language. It is competely in the idiom of Middle-Earth, and it is perfect! You are an amazing writer.
Alquamor chapter 1 . 10/7/2002
Well, I love the descriptions and especially the old english (it's not blatantly wrong, at least as far as i can tell from reading beowulf). Still, you know, why can't Eowyn be sad? That's what I love most about her, child of Nienna as she truly is? Otherwise great story so far and I'll continue with it at some time, though I don't have time right now. Keep up the good work!
anorel chapter 22 . 10/4/2002
Great work! a promising career for a writer. very original about Faramir and Eowyn's marriage problems. It seems so realistic.
Brenda chapter 1 . 8/13/2002
Heh heh. Had to go stealth for this one because of Fido the Wonder Pup. Persistence pays-I got 250! Go me! Goodness, the things this story led to-HA, HASA, all that fun stuff. Can't wait to catch up the timeline so I can make you write more about Poetry Boy! Working on the wish list of things you should write for my birthday and Christmas prezzies! And waiting eagerly for the Morwen story...
Kitty chapter 1 . 8/13/2002
I'm getting all gooey too! I've read this story like about ten times-and I like it each time. Faramir and Eowyn are so lucky to have such supportive, funny and loving relatives, and three happy kids. You know, I was hoping you'd do something about the kids at pre-school age, but Elboron's epilogue is great! I enjoyed the little jokes and the moving parts-yes, I love chapters 18-22! Poor Faramir-he needed some help, and Eowyn just didn't understand. I also almost cried when Eowyn revealed her secret because I remembered (was that chapter 7?) about all her problems at home. You can write good dramas, without any death, and have everyone live happily ever after.
Starlight10 chapter 1 . 8/6/2002
Altariel, this was incredibly wonderful! I found myself "living" this events along with Faramir. Your descriptions of him give me a very clear idea of who he really is. The wedding customs you have portrayed seem to be so fitting for the time period and the ways of both Gondor and Rohan! (Yes, Parma Endorion is a great resource) I just love this! You made everything so real, and I like your descriptions of Faramir's character, and his relationship with his father and brother. This is a wonderful, wonderful work. I got so excited with it I even went a few chapters further to check how the story developed, and realized Persuassion is also your Jane Austen's favorite. Mine too! You are very talented, and I will sure be reading more of your work.
Stephantom chapter 21 . 8/6/2002
...Forgot to mention. Your characterization is superb. I love your Imrahil. Aragorn and Arwen were wonderful additions to the story as well, and Eomer was very amusing.
Stephantom chapter 22 . 8/6/2002
I'm ashamed to admit it, but I only started reading this story yesterday... When it's been here for months! I even read the first chapter months ago, and then a couple paragraphs into the second... what stopped me I do not know. I guess I feared the inevitable- that if I allowed myself to get sucked into it I wouldn't be able to stop and would end up sneaking downstairs after my mother went to bed and reading until the sun came up. And I'm not kidding either, it was 5:30 when I got to chapter 21 and said "holy shit, what if someone wakes up and I'm down here?" and ran back to bed. That being said...

This was so freaking excellent! When an emotional rollercoaster! Ack! I was so distressed when their marriage started falling apart, and so believably too. And it was so sad too because, reading both point of views, we experienced the frustration of knowing that they were both misinterpretting the other, and that they both loved eachother so much! But it worked out in the end. And their relationship seems stronger now than it was in the beginning too.

I fell in love with Faramir all over again in this story. Sure, I would feel bad for Eowyn and then I'd click "next chapter" and it'd be Faramir's point of view and I would just want to run up to him and give him a hug. I don't know if I can really say anything that hasn't been said (245 flattering yet accurate reviews!). I loved how it all seemed to keep going back to Denethor. Child abuse is such a horrible thing. Faramir needs counceling... Depression clearly runs in the family, plus his father abused him and his mother and favored his brother, and on top of that he's now suffering from post-traumatic stress syndrome- and being called a coward by his wife (of course, she didn't know, and if he had told her she would never have said that).

I'm glad he realized he doesn't have to just sit back and accept that his life is destined to suck and convince himself that he deserves everything that's happened to him. I'm glad he took his life into his own hands and wrote that letter. Of course, Eowyn realized she was still madly in loved him and acted first. Aww, they're so sweet. They just need to COMMUNICATE and everything will be fine.

This is a very realistic and moving peice. Go Altariel! Woot!
454 | « Prev Page 1 .. 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 .. Last Next »