Reviews for A Game of Chess
Anon chapter 4 . 2/20/2014
:) I'm glad you show the darker side of heroes, like Tolkien did with Frodo and Bilbo, dark events change you.
I think you're correct in thinking Eowyn might not know much about human pregnancies.
Anon chapter 1 . 2/20/2014
Sounds like a good wedding, a wedding I would have liked to attend :)
Petrichora chapter 2 . 7/17/2013
Horray, an Eowyn/Faramir fic that is good and true to their characters! I feel like I've found the Arkenstone! :) I will have to come back to finish this, but I didn't want to add it to my Favorites without leaving at least one review, lest you think me a lurker: I promise to leave a much better review upon finishing.
songsmith chapter 1 . 4/5/2013
Wow, what a great way to spend an afternoon, reading this lovely fic! I love how you've captured the flavor of Tolkien's writing style. I was a little nervous about the misunderstanding premise, because I dislike fics where the main conflict can be solved by sitting the involved parties down to tea, but you have actual reasons why the conversation never happens which really work for the characters. I like that you got them back together slowly and gently, too, with no magic bullets. Well done!
Copper Kestrel chapter 22 . 12/28/2012
Oh, wow, this is beautiful. Your character voices are compelling and real, your usage of words elegant and your plot like - wow, I find myself somewhat inarticulate in expressing myself about this story, for it has almost provoke tears of both sadness and happiness. It's an exquisitely drawn look at war and individuals and family, and I adore your Eowyn and your Faramir, and this entire creation. Thank you so much for writing it, and I am worry that I am so blown away by it that I am somewhat inarticulate!
Cerisabeth chapter 22 . 9/6/2012
I loved it! It made me cry so much and then it had such a sweet ending! I hope it flatters you that I was late to school because of this fic! w
Nimloth9 chapter 22 . 5/28/2012
I remember reading this story before but have not submitted a review then.

I admire your amazing writing, and how you portray the characters so splendidly. I especially like your Aragorn/Faramir relationship as it is not "bromancely" as I find in quite a number of other fanfictions. It's more like how I imagine their relationship to be. They love and respect the other, but they also keep a certain amount of distance as befit a lord and liege IMO.

The verbal spars (the friendly ones) were just wonderful too.

I admit I have a few qualms regarding the story, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and am thankful for being able to read it. Again, your writing is awesome.
WargishBoromirFan chapter 11 . 5/9/2012
I am the first to admit that I'm a Denethor Defender almost to an OOC extent, (the man's the furthest thing from a fluffy-bunny romantic hero, but he's got brains and dedication to back up that massive ego, if not enough to weather the emotional wreck at the end of his life,) and having seen the after-effects of mental/emotional abuse without direct violence thrown in, I find most stories that heap physical abuse on top of it tend to cheapen all subjects involved, so I gotta admit I was cringing at this part for more than just the fallout between Faramir and Eowyn.

But you know what? For Faramir's loyalty, for Eowyn's uwillingness to take any guff, for Imrahil trying (and not quite succeeding) to stay rational, for the way the group stumbles toward a new normal, by the end, it all works. Once again, great job.
WargishBoromirFan chapter 8 . 2/28/2012
If you will excuse a horrible, horrible pun in honor of a very moving and well-written story, that was a second-degree burn right there from Imrahil. My own twisted sense of humor aside, I love the three-dimensional characterization you put into your stories.
Equilly chapter 14 . 5/20/2011
Love it!

geekmama chapter 1 . 3/12/2011
Sent here by azalaisdep (on LJ) when I told her I'd always wanted to read some good Eowyn/Faramir. This is every bit as wonderful as she said it was, beautifully written, just the right tone, and with a touch of humor. I am almost teary with happiness. I love your Faramir voice, and the research you've done to make every detail just right. Beautiful work!
Eryndil chapter 22 . 2/13/2011
Truly extraordinary. At times, difficult to read as it becomes so bleak, but impossible to stop reading all the same. Beautifully written, with a sensitive and well thought out exploration of the effects of war on those who survive the battle. A very fitting subject given Tolkien's own influences. The style is exactly right and you have captured the speech patterns in a way that very few fanfiction writers manage to do. This is now the first LOTR story to go on my favourites list and I will be reading more of your fics.
Scila chapter 22 . 1/23/2011
I just want to say that, well, I read and reread this story many times trough out the years, since 2003, I think. It's 2011 and here I am finishing up another read, and it's still beautiful and touching as it was. More so now, I think, because I'm a different person, with more experience in life, and mostly, experience with relationships (not all mine, but of people close to me). Faramir's distress and post-traumatic stress thanks to war are now more understandable to me, I can finally really appreciate how you approached the subject with care and honesty. As was the way you wrote Éowyn doubts as a mother. Also Faramir childhood and Denethor abuse were... Well, I can say that while I'm fortunately never experienced such things, but I know of people who did and I can relate to his suffering very much. I was especially moved by their marriage troubles, because it felt real and it's was dealt with care and no need for overly dramatics, just two people talking and loving each other. Truly beautiful. Anyway, I don't know if you will still read this review, but I was struck by the need to write this after being suddenly afraid of what would happen one day if wouldn't find it anymore on the net. I felt the need show a little gratitude after enjoying it so much so many times. So, thank you for this story that made such impression on me, and will stay in my memory for many, many years. I hope to enjoy another read of it soon. You have incredible talent for writing, thank you!
Darkover chapter 22 . 12/29/2010
Dear Altariel: This was an emotional wringer of a story, but at least all was happiness in the end. More or less, as I get the impression there are a few issues, or maybe a few issues developing, between Faramir and Elboron. Or maybe that is just because Elboron is fourteen years old. Sort of like Mark Twain's observation; "When I was fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. Then I left home, and didn't come back until I was twenty-one. It was amazing how much he had learned in just seven years." Not that I believe things are that bad between Elboron and Faramir, but I suspect that it will be awhile before Faramir's oldest son truly understands about his father's illness, and before he truly understands Faramir's bravery and his family history. Elboron can't be expected to understand it all now, of course. As for "A Game of Chess," it is a magnificent story, mostly about the importance of learning to communicate! IMHO, that was something both Faramir and Eowyn had to learn, but learn it they did, happily. In Faramir's defense, though, I can understand why he did not want to tell Eowyn what he had been going through. Frankly, considering what she was like at the beginning of this story, she was not the sort of person I would want to bare my soul to, either. And concerning the infamous incident in which Faramir put his fist through the glass: Eowyn seemed conveniently to forget that she was about to strike him just seconds before that happened. I am *not* saying that she deserved to be hit, because she did not, but she had no right to hit him, either. As always, you did a masterful job of portraying these characters, including the secondary characters, such as Imrahil, Aragorn, and Arwen. And I thought your emphasis on how the same incidents can be seen and comprehended very differently from another's POV was nothing short of brilliant. Thanks so much for writing and posting this. Sincerely, Darkover
Starshinedown chapter 2 . 12/6/2009
This is lovely. The language is exquisite and wonderfully appropriate in a way that so many LotR (and other period writers) try but don't quite achieve.

I'm excited to see how this story plays out!
445 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »