Reviews for A Game of Chess
Deborah Judge chapter 4 . 2/18/2002
Superb as always. You manage to make two quite delightful characters show their weaknesses - how they think they can't talk to each other about their fears when they are really the ones best suited to understand each other. A game of chess is right! I have no idea how you write this much, I can only bless you with an understanding advisor ;-)
Isabeau chapter 4 . 2/18/2002
Oh, poor Faramir! And poor Eowyn! Each with their own problem, and unable to tell the other. Eowyn's loneliness and misery was very well depicted, as was her relief when she realized the truth about her illness. And Faramir's joy about the baby makes you happy for him and wanting to knock him up side of the head for avoiding the other issue at the same time. I liked the description of how they did not talk all that much with each other, and the quality of the silence in Emyn Arnyn when he was there, and when he was not. Sniff! Much lovely angst!
Deborah Judge chapter 2 . 2/17/2002
Well, thank you! :-) I like the sound of your Eowyn voice, different from Faramir's but still compelling, and close enough that one can imagine them talking. The bit about the swear word was especially nice - glad to see that happiness hasn't tamed her too much. I was also glad to see in chapter 3 that Faramir's men still see her as a model of millitary heroism. I'm sure she'd just love to be leading those rangers in his place, and I can't help hoping she gets a chance.
Dora Mugworts chapter 3 . 2/17/2002
Finally, someone's posted an Eowyn/Faramir story! Those two are my fav LotR couple of all.

I really like your style, and your knack of getting inside the character's minds. Poor Faramir!

Please continue soon. :-)
Soledad chapter 3 . 2/17/2002
Getting angsty again, aren't we? Anyway, I find this chapter absolutely wonderful! Faramir's anguish, his longing to be allowed a life in peace at least, and the discussion with Mablung who seems to understand him so well - absolutely perfect. I love stores where supporting characters like Mablung are fleshed out (and so well!), andI'm really curious how Éowyn would react to these events. She went through something similar than Faramir, after all.
Ricco Ragazza chapter 2 . 2/16/2002
I love it! Sweet and I'm already so in love with Faramir _ I'd say something worht while, but its late, and I can't think...
Soledad chapter 2 . 2/16/2002
Very nice! I especially loved how you turned to Éowyn's POV. Her thoughts are so very different from Faramir's and yet so perfectly matching the personality we might have figured out from the books. After all that evil and suffering, I am truly glad to see them happy. Maybe it comes with my old age, but I *do* like happy endings. More so when the people had to suffer a little before.
Isabeau of Greenlea chapter 2 . 2/16/2002
A very sweet depiction of the morning after. I loved the fact that Faramir just can't quite get a handle on the language of Rohan, and the fact that he can't offends him. The image of Eomer laughing his head off is also quite memorable. An interesting observation about Eowyn missing Edoras as well, when she felt trapped there for so long. Poor girl, she's had a confusing couple of years. The description of their house is interesting-I had assumed there would be fortifications of some sort, but I know Faramir would prefer to do without if he could. A lovely piece, as usual, and the combinaton of the first two chapters was a good idea.
Isabelle Carter chapter 2 . 2/16/2002
That's great! I love the way you talked about the entier drinking thing. I'm from Russia and trust me I can really picture it. Russian men drink Vodka like we drink water.
Kedi-Aerin chapter 2 . 2/16/2002
Wai a minute, you're not done? COOL! This was so happy1 It just made my four-in-the-morning internet jaunt much brighter! Hey! Framir drunk! sd the mighty have fallen! Your writing style shins through gloriously even thriugh this non-ngsty piece. It has at least temporarily brightened my outlook on life (now if only I could find Faramir...)
Miss Padfoot chapter 2 . 2/15/2002
This is beautiful! I love the way you describe Faramir's initial anxiety, and the wedding ceremony is lovely! I am very curious where this will go...I am wondering what their marriage will be like.

And are those stories about the violent and morally ambiguous people on spaceships posted anywhere online? I am curious...
Kayla Anasazi chapter 2 . 2/15/2002
HOW ROMANTIC! This is so cool! one of your best works. I can't wait for more.
Kenzie chapter 2 . 2/15/2002
My two favorite characters, much too often neglected in fanfic. I loved this story!
Isabeau chapter 2 . 2/14/2002
"..On this occaision too, I might not have been entirely sober." A perfectly beautiful depiction of pre-wedding nerves, particularly when his uncle has to push him towards the tree. And to see Faramir reduced to going "mmmmm"! I almost wish he had gotten a hold of Aragorn for his post wedding love-fest!

Honest-to-God Anglo Saxon, and really nifty wedding customs, and beautiful writing. I am going to go crawl into a hole somewhere with my inadequacies now!
misscam chapter 2 . 2/14/2002
It's moving forward kinda slowly, but it's nice.. has a reflective feel to it, and lovely characterisations and inner thoughts. Definitely worth checking out future chapters - I'm curious where you will take this.
445 | « Prev Page 1 .. 19 26 27 28 29 30 Next »