Reviews for A Game of Chess
Taryn Streambattle chapter 22 . 11/30/2009
Beautifully crafted, well done!
HeadbangGirl chapter 22 . 7/10/2009
Beautiful!

Really, one of the best stories I've read :)

I read A Game Of Chess on Emyn Arnen-fanfiction first, so I was glad to find it on FanFiction as well.

Great you put in Bron as epilogue :)

x
duj chapter 22 . 6/1/2009
Excellent work. Thoughtful, plangent, compelling.
Cariad-je chapter 22 . 5/31/2009
You are an amazing writer... infusing meaning on so many levels I don't believe I'm aware of them all. I must come back to read this in a 'lit student' mode (unaccustomed as it may be), it seems I'm missing much :) but gaining a great deal all the same.

This story is absolutely incredible, even, perhaps especially because it's so painful to watch people tear themselves and each other up so easily. But I'm so glad you saw this story through to its happy conclusion - that it is a story ultimately of triumphant love and hope is what seems to me most important.

Your assessment of people, and how they feel and what makes them feel and how they can hurt... it's so believable and riveting, and it makes me feel so young. Young in the sense that there's so much of life and love and living that I don't understand, and might not ever even as I feel and live myself. (I mean no offense - only that you write with penetrating depth of insight and a sort of wisdom.) You have such an ability to see and capture dual perspectives so vastly distinct as to be bound only by the reality of the observance...

This was so well crafted I can find nothing that bears criticism, only minor points I disagree with. IMHO, Denethor would not ever have been a man to repeatedly hit his wife nor strike his sons - but an upright man whom happier circumstance would have made a magnificent Steward. But that's just my opinion, and your portrayal of Denethor works so well in this story, gives so much to it, I could not envision it otherwise.

Too many stories try so hard to find some appropriate villain, and I really admire you for hitting on the one source of conflict that's so natural as to seem almost inevitable, and pulling it off so well, when a physical hurt is so much less difficult to face (and, I imagine, to write :). You wrote it so well as to make that sense of connection and (common) humanity seem stronger than the concept of earth or Arda... I couldn't help but start pinning modern names on this illness or that malady :)

In rambling on like this though the heart of what I mean to say is this: you touched me to the core. You seem to do that with all your stories in any case, but with this you had me on the verge of tears for much of the ride. Many emotions seemed too familiar, struck so very close to home... I don't know how to put it, but it made for an intense read, and the effort and time you took then to put into writing this is very, very much appreciated.
Jazzcat chapter 22 . 5/4/2009
What a beautiful, beautiful - and incredibly insightful - tale. Thank you so much for sharing this. Faramir and Eowyn both had a boatload of baggage to bring into a marriage - even with a love as deep and intense as that of Eowyn and Faramir's had been in the beginning. These issues were bound to crop up over time. Charmingly written and carefully woven. It was definitely time well spent - even away from writing the thesis!

I'm delighted to have stumbled across this. It was a heartwarming story.

Thank you again, and write on!

Jazzcat
Hunchbook chapter 22 . 10/19/2008
Having spent a large portion of the past weekend reading through not only this story but the few preceeding it, (although I don't believe you wrote them in that order, they come out like that) I have to say: WHY HAVEN'T YOU PUBLISHED ANYTHING YET? Although I guess if you did, I would have to go out and buy it and since I am a) a poor student and b) horrible at selecting books that aren't in the young adult section or my housemate's bookshelf, I much prefer this method.

This is all to say that you are a fabulous writer, and aside from a little pronoun confusion in one or two sections, I have absolutely nothing constructive to say because there is nothing that renders criticism. (although that may be because it's 1am and i just spent the last 4 hours reading this... maybe more)

Thank you so much for writing. Faramir was always one of my favourite characters, and I was very glad to hear more about him.

Oh! I did have a comment, I notice that Eowyn did not seem to do much by way of well, anything other than "womanly" occupations (taking care of children, shopping, um...) until the end (with the exception of a brief mention at the beginning of Faramir going to her for advice). Not that you could change it now, just something I noticed.

I also have to say that I loved how the story was told in first person. I truly felt, thoughout the story that the character was talking to me the day or a couple of days after the event. It was marvelous to see not only how the characters in the story changed, but how the narrative changed with the story. Adding that feel of realism that occasionally gets lost in first person.

Thank you for writing something that I can only poorly comment upon. :) (and yes I've read some of your newer stuff as well)
Raksha The Demon chapter 2 . 9/28/2008
Nice interplay and dialogue between the newlyweds here! And the line about Faramir's gift for making everything around him peaceful makes a lot of sense.

And it's quite believable that Eowyn would want to see the stables before checking out her new home!
Raksha The Demon chapter 1 . 9/28/2008
I love Faramir's attitude here, he is bemused and melancholy and then slowly lets himself relax and enjoy his own wedding. Good job on the description of the wedding ceremony and vows!
Raksha The Demon chapter 13 . 3/13/2008
So Eowyn finally knows much of what has troubled Faramir. A nice way of relating it to her own experience. I like the bit about the same thing being known, and compassionately accepted, among the Rohirrim, and Eowyn's having known and admired a "war-fettered" veteran in her youth.

And of course, Eomer would insist that little Elboron start learning to ride!
Raksha The Demon chapter 10 . 3/11/2008
A harrowing chapter, starting out gradually, in melancholy, and building to a sharply divisive and emotionally cataclysmic finish.

Faramir's meditations on suicide as a solution are heart-breaking. He is so painfully lonely, and conditioned to loneliness; and cannot recognize that he, (like Denethor in my opinion) has at this point contributed to that state by isolating himself from even his wife.

I would dispute that there was a direct trade of Theoden's life for Faramir's; since even Gandalf could not have been certain that Theoden wouldn't have fallen on the Pelennor if the wizard hadn't been preoccupied in saving Faramir; but I do concur that Theoden's death had a sobering connection to Faramir's life (which I blame on Denethor, whose folly held Gandalf back from the Pelennor and probably the saving of many men).

The final quarrel is brilliantly written here; Faramir is over-wrought, but still strong enough not to repeat his father's mistake (in the Altarielverse) and deliberately harm his wife, yet he does injure her inadvertantly and thereby, unneccessarily, dooms himself to much misery, not to mention scare the heck out of Eowyn Wraithbane. Poor kids; they really need a good marriage counselor, or at least some space; actually both.
Raksha The Demon chapter 9 . 3/11/2008
"His first tactic seemed to be to command sternly, which might have worked from a man that I respected more. The second was to beseech tearfully, which made me respect him even less." -

I have trouble seeing Faramir as someone who would, even during a strain upon the marriage, tearfully beseech his wife; but otherwise this chapter is excellent, as usual; an account of a relationship on very rocky ground and getting worse. I liked Arwen's mentoring Eowyn; I have always thought they would be drawn together in being foreign-born great ladies in the White City.
RowenaR chapter 1 . 2/5/2008
I'm not sure if I ever reviewed this before, but, following my own resolution to write a review to every story I read (so that I can bitch about every reader who doesn't review MY stories :D), I will do so with this, as well.

I do think I've read it about three times now, and I loved it every time. Your style is so fitting for the fandom, yet not simply imitating Tolkien, and your characterizations are so very beautiful and accurate. I just love all the psychological drama and the angst. In short: This is THE Faramir/Eowyn-story for me.
Larner chapter 21 . 8/17/2007
So, this was finished on my 52nd birthday. I don't know how much you still write, but hope you're continuing to do so. I know you read some of my works and commented on them, and that I appreciated the comments you left me with.

A most satisfying ending, and a promising beginning as well. The second wedding reminds me of the Elvish wedding requirements-mutual desire and acceptance and commitment, spiritual and physical. I think they will do well enough now.
Larner chapter 20 . 8/17/2007
Oh, why not? I have the Hobbits finding a stand of mushrooms in the Sixth Circle that is empty when they dwell in the city after the Coronation but inhabited in a later visit. Why shouldn't Faramir have his secret place where he's enjoyed stolen apples, too? Probably the householders have been aware of his visits since his adolescence at least, and are secretly glad of them.
Larner chapter 19 . 8/17/2007
And hooray now for both of them! New memories of it indeed-her home and his, and soon theirs as well. The joy of each city is restored and renewed, and the night-terrors diminished.
445 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »