Reviews for A Game of Chess
shallowness chapter 1 . 12/16/2004
This is completely beguiling and adorable. Faramir's voice is so perfect (you wield he formal words so simply and truthfully.) I loved the thread of gentle humour and moments of deep feeling. You mix the human moments with the full weight of ceremonial meaning delightfully, and it's altogether joyous.
Emeraldstargazer chapter 22 . 12/6/2004
There are few words to describe this fic but I think magnificent is a good place to start!

I really enjoyed this and certainly think that it is one of the best Faramir/Eowyn pairings that I have read. It is unusual too because so many people choose to make their fics fluffy rather than angsty so it is nice to read a change in genre for the pair!

You do such as good job of creating character and Faramir and Eowyn are both perfectly written. The plot is believable and I like that you have chosen to focus upon an internal, marital problem - it's unusual to find a post-LOTR fic that doesn't deal with another dark lord or evil plot. And it does such a good job of dealing with the problems of living after war in a world where everything has changed.

So, well done you! This is excellent fanfiction and I really hope that you continue to write more excellent LOTR fiction - and soon! Keep Writing - Emeraldstargazer ;)
nim-mag chapter 22 . 11/18/2004
I dont know what I love more: that you too think Persuasion is Austens best novel or that you wrote one of the best stories I read lately.
satismagic chapter 1 . 11/2/2004
What a beautiful beginning.I don't know what to say!
Leslie Lady of Light chapter 8 . 9/3/2004
Wow! This is one of the BEST Faramir/Eowyn fics I've read so far! I love your characterizations and the language! - too many LotR fics don't have the right degree of feeling and eloquence that Tolkien has but YOU DO! Great job! After this's done, I'll have to check out some of your other stories.

I think that your characterization of Faramir in this chapter is extremely appropriate...the idea that he could be 'shell-shocked' is very realistic and the fear of what Eowyn, a warrior-princess, would say very real. I also CAN see Eowyn being a bad mother! She is a little impatient and not being able to ride for 9 months probably vexes her!

I felt so sad to see what had happened to them! I do think that the whole thing was Eowyn's fault, for embarrassing him, etc. in front of the Council for what seems a silly reason. Also, I CAN sort of see Faramir able to become his father's son, though it's so sad that it should be EOWYN that drove him to it! I've always LOVED the pair and this is a rather angsty fic but still good.

I hope he TELLS her, soon! How bratty of him to tell his uncle off! Do we EVER find out the uncle's NAME? It's always "my uncle," isn't it? Or i may have missed it.

Anyway, also wanted to mention that this is getting very like "Aldarion and Erendis" or the "mariner's wife" from unfinished tales. Have you read it? it's awesome.

Ciao for now!

~ Leslie
RavenNat chapter 22 . 8/11/2004
This is one of those stories I meant to read for so long but was slightly frightened by the length of. But, yesterday, I summoned the courage to read the first chapter and got hooked. I've read some of your other stuff over at HA, but this is my favorite thus far. You are a highly talented writer and your characterizations and overall character interactions are wonderfully crafted. You should be very proud of this beautiful prose you made! :) I look forward to reading more from you and discovering other inventive and new plots that you create!
Reillu chapter 4 . 7/22/2004
I truly love your style of writing, because it is unusually formal, and not at all stilted. Mostly fanfiction is written very casually, and while there is nothing wrong with that it is a nice, and enjoyable, change to read something that is more 'graceful' so to speak.

Perhaps it's because you are writing your thesis at the same time? :)
wildrose509 chapter 22 . 7/19/2004
I just finished reading your story, Game of Chess, and I just had to tell you how well written it was and how you portrayed the different characters as truthfully as any other author I have read. I think you did an excellent job at making the different aspects apparent and handled the emotions very well. I hope you don't mind my rambling on, I just would like to know if there are any other stories like this that you have written and where they are archived? I truly appreciate it,

wildrose
smilesnob chapter 22 . 7/16/2004
I truly think your story is a work of art. It took me forever to read it, but it was worth it. I'm one of those Eowyn and Faramir romantics, so it was kind of hard to read the parts when their marriage is falling apart, but at least the story has a happy ending! I thought it was very creative that you kept switching the point of view between Faramir, Eowyn, and the Prince, which really gave depth to the story. I did wish you could have elaborated more on more of the physical suffering Faramir endured at the hands of Denethor, but that's just me. I appreciate all the work you put into this, you have a novel on your hands! :)
smilesnob chapter 22 . 7/16/2004
Laurelin at Weathertop chapter 21 . 6/8/2004
I'm not sure this will still get to you as I noticed the story was posted rather long ago now but I want to tell you that I LOVED IT. It made perfect sense with Tolkien's experiences of WW1 and the horrible emotional damage he saw it did to the soldiers. It was always a question in my mind...how did Faramir deal with the emotional abuse, grief and anger? You did a heck of a job on the writing too. I especially liked the voice of the Uncle, the description of the renewed Minas Tirith and Faramir the architect! Way to evolve, Faramir! Way to go, Altariel! Thanks!
Resurrectra chapter 1 . 5/13/2004
Dear Altariel
As it is my favourite fanfic I'm asking for your permission to translate it to russian and share it with my friends and other fans. In fact I already translated a couple of chapters but didn't publish it anywhere.
If you let me do that, I promise, I won't forget to credit you.
The people will know who their hero is)
Altariel chapter 21 . 3/29/2004
Hi wellduh, and thanks for the reviews. Elboron's name is given in 'The History of Middle-earth', Vol. XII, 'The Peoples of Middle-earth'. So it's not strictly canonical, but I used it because Tolkien had used it somewhere in his writings. Morwen and Leof are my own inventions.
wellduh chapter 16 . 3/28/2004
You wrote Aragorn well. It's interesting- he sounds very much like Gandalf at times. Must have spent too much time around old Mithrandir. Was it intentional? Good work!
wellduh chapter 21 . 3/28/2004
I don't expect to get an answer here, but is Elboron canonical? If so, where is he mentioned?
454 | « Prev Page 1 .. 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 .. Last Next »