Reviews for Tied for Last
Jennieb89 chapter 14 . 2/16
Hey, i downloaded this the other day! Just started reading it yesterday, i absolutely love it! Its SO GOOD! I was kinda heartbroken about RJ.

I love all your characters and the story too!
Thepeanutgallery1 chapter 33 . 1/27
It is pretty obvious why this story is one of the first few that pop up for this pairing when you search by rating. Out of all the tomione stories out there very few of them are full redemption arcs and that is because it not a undertaking for the weak writer. The ending of this story while sad was still truly beautiful. This story while told mainly from hermiones perspective was not about her at all. This story was about Tom and how remorse can heal the soul. I implore you to write more of this pairing maybe even a volmione with similar themes it would be amazing.
cheyennebaswell122 chapter 1 . 1/16
It’s been 10 years since this beautiful piece was posted. I was 14 when I first read it, in a dark place and this story was my escape back then. I’ve read it many times over the years, I’m very glad you decided not to delete it
Inga chapter 33 . 12/8/2020
I liked, thank you! P.S. Sometimes it's good not to have sex scenes in detail - it was good taste
EmeraldGoddess52 chapter 4 . 11/13/2020
Eternally bored in quarantine, I've found my way back to old fanfics and needed to reread this one - one of my absolute loves as a teen. Now in my twenties, I find that this fanfic is just as compelling and riveting as it was years ago when I first read and reread it.

As a sucker for happily-ever-afters, I admit I loved the old ending. It was fluffy and sweet and made my heart happy, as happy endings tend to do. But there's no contention that the new ending is more fitting for the story from a literature standpoint. It wraps up Riddle's arc perfectly and also completes the parallels between him and Lily.

This story, in its essence, is a story about Tom Riddle's redemption arc. He starts off as a young, genocidal serial killer with no morals. But in falling for Hermione, he learns humility and shame and remorse. He gets past his traumatic childhood and learns how to love.

However, love isn't real love when it's only there when it's easy. For most of the story, it's Hermione forgiving unforgivable acts by Riddle, overcoming his failings because of her love for him. Her love is unconditional and all-consuming (and pretty questionable, but it's a fanfic so we allow it). But it's pretty easy for Riddle to fall for an infinitely patient, beautiful, powerful, brave, incredible witch, right? We see him struggle with how infatuated he is with her, but his love really isn't tested at all, until the final few chapters of the book, when Tom Riddle completes his arc of learning to love by making the ultimate sacrifice.

And we know that it is the ultimate sacrifice because we know two things about Tom Riddle. 1) He fears death more than anything else. He fears it so much it's the motivation for pretty much everything he does prior to meeting Hermione. and 2) He'd be giving up the one thing that he's recently learned how to love - Hermione. He's incredibly possessive of her and wouldn't want to leave her or give her to anyone else.

Knowing this, his decision is monumental. This decision is a complete 180 from everything he represented at the beginning of the story. He cares about her more than himself and loves her to the extent that he is willing to confront his worst fear - death. From a man who could literally not comprehend caring about anything other than himself, he evolved throughout this story to be the kind of person that he was previously unable to understand (which would prove to be his downfall): the kind of person who would give their life to save the ones that they loved. And as Lily did this to cause Voldemort's first defeat, Tom Riddle now does the same to kill Voldemort once and for all. Voldemort, again and again, was destroyed by the one thing he didn't understand - love. And Tom Riddle? He spent the final moments of his life living a fuller one than most of the rest, and he committed his final act of bravery in confronting death. Through love, Tom Riddle was redeemed and he was freed.
Huckleberry648 chapter 1 . 11/13/2020
excellent
draco lover 1012 chapter 33 . 10/26/2020
THIS STORY IS PHENOMENAL! i just want to thank you for writing this story, you managed to make me me really care about tom riddle and i am so in live with this story. your writing was beautiful and i can not get over how many emotions you made me feel while reading this. amazing work!
MissTrixxie chapter 33 . 10/22/2020
I am was in tears as I was reading the last chapter. It wasn’t the typical happy ending, but Tom finally redeemed his soul. This is such an amazing story. Thank you!
AABibliophile chapter 33 . 10/17/2020
It’s almost one in the morning and I am in tears after finishing this absolute masterpiece! Thank you so much for creating and sharing this with the world
Queengi chapter 1 . 10/8/2020
This story is so unpredictable! I loved it. I felt so many emotions reading it, and the ending was sad, yet beautiful.
Luvtalism chapter 1 . 9/25/2020
I was so dumb to not paying attention for the information. I FRICKIN READ IT FIRST BEFORE THE ORIGINAL BOOK, WTH. I’m crying stg
InsideTheFridge chapter 33 . 8/30/2020
Your story was fascinating and beautifully written. Heartbreaking. Amazing job!
Guest chapter 33 . 8/28/2020
good sor
adorning-morning chapter 33 . 8/23/2020
This was beautiful. I wasn’t sure where you were going with it but was pleasantly surprised! Crazy to me that you were only 16 when you wrote this— you’re extremely talented with a great imagination!

Your character building is phenomenal, too. I went from liking Tom, to HATING him, to liking him, despising him again, and then loving him. How the heck do you do that?! Oddly enough, you somehow got me to like that girl (I forget her name but she was the bully all over Tom). I thought the ending was extremely beautiful. I wish there was more though! I was hoping he would come back, or Hermione would immediately meet him in death. Waa waa waa!

Hermione’s friends turning their backs on her was a little annoying in both worlds (but it was more understandable in the living-world). I had hoped Hermione would befriend shimmer-world bully girl, as well as shimmer-Dumbledore! HONESTLY though, great work on characters like RJ. Abraxas was fantastic and I had really hoped he would come back to the alive-world too! I missed him a lot!

Also in the alive world, when Ron was like “I WAITED FOR YOU FOR 7 MONTHS” to Hermione I wish she was just like “RON I WAS DEAD” lol.

Anyway, Riddle in the shimmer-world was so abusive and manipulative, I was like Hermione, get away from him, girl! But once his soul clicked back together... damn, you’re a talented writer. I can’t remember EVER reading a story that could so drastically change my views on characters. I give you all the gold-stars possible! Thank you!
The Tweed river flows chapter 1 . 8/10/2020