Reviews for The Pain is Worth the Thunder
Sparkiebunny chapter 1 . 9/18/2010
Is it possible to be so utterly blown-away that you can hardly breathe?

I wish I could find the words to describe how amazing, how enlightening, how intense, how damn POWERFUL this story was, but I'm honestly too shell-shocked to say anything even mildly adequate.

Some of my absolute favorite quotes:

"This life will kill him, and Sam knows now that the real monsters aren't the things that go bump in the night, but the day to day tasks that keep him confined to a box he could never fit."

...Wow. Not only did you manage to apply this PERFECTLY to Sam, but you also made it so relatable that I got shivers down my spine.

"Save him or kill him. Just don't trust him to do it for himself."

...Very simply said, and perfectly put.

"Family isn't something that makes you happy, it's something that completes you. Peace isn't something you find, it's something you choose. Control isn't something you take, it's something you maintain. Freedom isn't something you're granted, it's something you discover on your own. And anger...anger isn't something you ignore. It's not something you conquer. It's not something you can even control. It's something you let go."

...Ties in with the theme flawlesly, and again creates a paragraph that applies to EVERYONE'S life. I have a document which I call "Favorite Quotes", and every so often, I'll hear something that strikes me, and add it. I'm proud to say that yours (this) is the first Fan Fiction quote I've ever put into the file. The way it was written and the simplicity of the statement affected me in a way I can't fully explain.

This whole story was not only well-written, in-character, and one of the most intriguing and best introspections I've ever read...It was also one of the most personal fics I've ever had the honor to read, and through reading it, I discovered some truths about myself and my life. I completely related to Sam, and read this fic at the perfect time, as it was exactly what I needed in my life right now.

So thank you for sharing your phenomenal writing. It's benefited me in ways that even I could never have imagined. Keep up the amazing work! :)
May Eve chapter 1 . 8/9/2010
This is absolutely perfect. Well done.
Hunnique chapter 1 . 7/30/2010
This was beautiful and thoughtful and very well written. Thank you.
cold kagome chapter 1 . 7/11/2010
AWWWE.. SOO SAD..
Zara Zee chapter 1 . 7/7/2010
An excellent and truly moving character study. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Thank you.
gidgetgal9 chapter 1 . 6/30/2010
Wow, I really like you're inside into Sam on this. That was a hard episode to watch but so rewarding. :)
Jen-2b chapter 1 . 6/13/2010
Hello Faye Dartmouth,

wow, this is an amazig story and I loved every part of it- thank you so much for writing it.

The way you really understood Sam's Charakter is amazing and fascinating.

Keep up this great work!

Greetings from Germany

Jen
rahne2 chapter 1 . 6/12/2010
Faye

This was worth the wait, and I'm glad you came to an understanding with the Sam we've watched grow up these past five years. (He 'owns my soul' too.) I've never had trouble understanding Sam's anger. Raised by a father who couldn't let his fierce love show for fear of falling apart and never pulling himself together again, a man like John who was so desperately afraid of losing the rest of his family that he had to obsessively control everything around him-how could a boy like Sam NOT rebel? Sam, smart and driven, needing to excel to prove his worth to himself and his family, wanting to learn everything his mind could hold and make new connections, longing for safety and stability as all children do, yet forced to fail over and over. Sam was born to question, it's how he made sense of his world, and John couldn't handle or even understand that. And Sam wasn't mature or worldly enough to read the love and fear John hid so well.

Then on top of so much frustration and anger his attempt to forge a new life for himself was ripped away, and he was forced with loss after loss to understand that his life would never be his own, that he would never be safe, that eventually he would lose everything, even Dean. Can you blame him for his rage? Sometimes it must have been the only thing that got him out of bed in the morning. And like his father, he needed it, couldn't let it go. What has always been so quintessentially Sam is his ability to hold onto his gentleness and compassion, his basic goodness. Even at his lowest point, he never lost his desire to do what was right, and it took Dean too damn long to seeit,in my opinion. But in the end he was able to give Sam what he needed most, his unconditional love and trust. And Sam, knowing that Lucifer wanted his pain and rage, finally knew what he had to do. And he let it go. A year before, he was ready to sacrifice his soul. But what was asked of him was to sacrifice his pain, his justified anger, his hard won power. And he let it go. Beautiful. Heartwrenching. Thanks for giving us the Sam we love so much in your thoughtful prose. Looking forward to more.
fearlessgoddess2 chapter 1 . 6/11/2010
Beautiful and awesome. :) Loved it.
x.lizzy.x chapter 1 . 6/11/2010
wow...you always know how to hit it right on...

great job! :D
Psychee chapter 1 . 6/10/2010
That was wonderful. It was insightful and made me reconsidering some of my conceptualizations of Sam. I truly beleive it gave me a deeper understanding of the character. Thanks
Nana56 chapter 1 . 6/9/2010
It's so good to get this glimpse inside Sam's psyche over the years from very early until his thoughts and realizations at the last moments.

Enjoyed this a great deal.

Nicely done. :)
anka-x chapter 1 . 6/9/2010
Faye, I love the way you write Sam. Beautiful writing, one more time.
tigerlily-too chapter 1 . 6/9/2010
This is a beautiful and heartbreaking character study. There is no other character on television right now as complete, interesting and heart-wrenching as Sam Winchester, and my gosh, do you ever get him.

Thank you for sharing this.
BranchSuper chapter 1 . 6/8/2010
This is absolutely beautiful and very moving. Such wonderful insight into Sam's character and the anger that drove him, until he let it go. Exceedingly well written.
51 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »