Reviews for Chrysalis
23DrarryIsLove22 chapter 15 . 10/7
I'm loving the bromance. RenIchi as bffs awesomeness
KC chapter 35 . 6/2
D :
: D
This is thekurosakiconundrum from AO3, and I finally read the last ten chapters of this story. I binge-read the first twenty-five one day last week and then couldn't bring myself to finish it because I knew from the sequel's summary on your works page that it would have a sad ending. I'm glad I did, and I'm very much looking forward to the next part!

This is a great fanfic. I don't like high school AUs (or even no powers AUs in general) as a rule, but I'm very glad I read this one. I love it when Ichigo gets to be the teenage boy he actually is, and I thought that was really the most stand-out feature of this story, with reference to both our boys-how well it captured the seventeen-ness of them. How keenly they felt everything; all that joy and pain and love and lust and having no fucking idea whatsoever what they are doing. This is even reflected in the title-a chrysalis is a thing unfinished, and I applaud your choice in that regard.

Ichigo and Grimmjow were both very much themselves, and I thought Grimmjow's transformation throughout the story was very well done and believable. In the earlier part of the story, his struggles with addiction were sensitively and accurately portrayed-I say this as an actual IRL former heroin addict. When that was first introduced in the story, I was like "oh, no," because it is often not well done, but you definitely proved me wrong. In the later part of the story, he managed to hang on to a lot of what makes him interesting as a character even while gradually becoming a good person, which is a hard line to walk with him. I did like that he ended up with a good relationship with his dad, too, because although romantic love can be a powerful agent of change in a person's life, it is ultimately not enough to build a self on. People need more than one other person in their lives, and family is just a good thing to have.

Ultimately, I'm not sure whether this is a more a story about the transformative power of love or more straightforwardly a coming-of-age story, which is kind of cool because in life those lines are not so clear. On that note, here's one thing that I think might have improved this story a bit: In the very beginning, it feels like it's going to be Ichigo's story-which of course, it is, to a degree. But really, on the whole, it comes off as more a story about Grimmjow. Ichigo does grow and change throughout the story, but Grimmjow is really the one who undergoes the massive shift into a whole different kind of thing that the title looks to refer to. So I'm wondering if perhaps the address-to-the-reader right at the very beginning mightn't have been better coming from him? Some early foreshadowing that this was going to end with a total sucker-punch might have been good too. (Although it's possible that that was there and I forgot it because I already knew that because summaries). The fact that it opened with Ichigo and ended with Grimmjow made it feel a little asymmetrical and the ending a bit abrupt, I think, although perhaps that was what you were going for.

An abrupt ending is less a problem if the sequel is not so much a sequel as part two; i.e. if this story was never meant to stand alone. I have not yet read it, so I can't speak to that. Of course, as I'm learning right now, long fanfics have a tendency to grow and change as they come along even if they're pretty far along when posting begins, so I get that it's hard to say what should have been in the beginning from what's in the end.

All in all, this was a tremendously enjoyable (if pretty brutal, at times, which I do not mean at all to be a bad thing) ride. Thanks so much for writing it and sharing it with us!
alicia.jen.havens chapter 35 . 3/21
Is there suppose to be more? It feels incomplete.
Copperscript chapter 35 . 1/23
Hey Nikki, finally got around to finishing this one!

Ch. 30:

-sigh- These kids are wiser than high school students generally are. Renji and Rukia—I am sad they’re splitting, but it’s only realistic. I mean, high school loves hardly ever last.

The backwards timeline of this chapter was nice, but would have been better suited to a one shot, rather than placed in the middle of a long, multi chapter story. Still, I can see why you experimented with the narrative style (I suspect it’s to do with the love confessions between Grimm and Ichi, and you wanted to place that at the end), so though misplaced imo, it was a good risk.

[His heart, beating furiously like mine. I wanted to think that they were in time with each other, but they probably weren't. Whatever, I could still dream.]

Haha. Even the sappy romantic thoughts are in character to Ichigo’s brusque nature.

Ch. 31:
Fuuuuuck youuuuu Grimmjow

Ch. 32:
What did Shinji tell him?

Ch. 33:
Not super fond of the sudden shift to present tense in the first scene. Though I realize the shift to 3rd person POV was necessary.

Wondering how Grimmjow was able to fake the bodies looking like him and his dad though. Since I know he’s not really dead.

This chapter seriously bummed me out and I hate you a little.

Ch. 34:
The daydream/dream sequence early in this chapter was excellent. The narrative was a little confusing in treading between what was real and what was in Ichigo’s head, which is exactly how drifting off into a daydream turned dream should feel.

Ch. 35:
I’m still wondering who were the dead bodies in Grimmjow and his dad’s car in the ‘accident’

Ichigo’s last night with his family was incredibly depressing. I've decided that a theme of this fic is change and moving forward, of letting go of past things (both joyful and not) and looking to the future.

They both kept a picture of themselves together in happier times. Ugh. And Ichigo’s bitter, angry thoughts about how he would never be that happy again? Heartbreaking.

Fuuuuuck. I’m glad I never found this story before now, because if I had read and finished it before knowing there is a sequel I might have hated you forever.
Copperscript chapter 15 . 12/31/2015
I had a hard time getting into this story at first. I’m not too big on real life AUs and high school AUs in particular tend to put me off because I’ve seen probably a million of them and have tightly associated them in my head with the same tired adolescent writing. I started reading this because you commented on my fic and I was curious what this 170k behemoth of a story was about.

But the writing here was good. I enjoyed the voices of both Grimmjow and Ichigo and their conflicts (both personal and interpersonal) right from the beginning were so visceral it hurt. Here were two little kids with big people problems and it hurt so much I stopped and restarted reading several times in the first few chapters. It took me maybe 3 weeks to get through seven chapters.

But then after chapter 7 something changed and I got sucked in. I’ve now read 8 chapters in one afternoon and am stopping here to write a review.

I haven’t read a ton of Bleach fanfic, and even fewer that have pulled an emotional response from me deep enough to write a lengthy review for.

Both Ichi and Grimm’s voices are so perfect in this story. So true to their canon selves and I fucking love that. Every vulgarity, every nuance of anger, guilt, fear, and regret is exactly how I imagined. Thank god you haven’t made either of them weak, as so many GrimmIchi writers do. You made them lose fights and fall without ever making them weak.

The description of Grimmjow with the baseball bat was so vivid I could see it all playing out in my head. And the slow turn of his relationship with Ichigo from enmity to casual alliance was gradual and natural. Isshin’s clinic turned out to be a very useful plot tool as the scene of this change.

I don’t usually like first person narratives, especially in fanfic. It tends to get bogged down with an abundance of lengthy inner monologues and dense introspective telling of a character’s mental process. But here the inner thoughts are kept at a healthy pace and so much of the character development is played out by actions. It’s great.

In this chapter, this line feels out of place:

You can't think, you're just a voice in my head, I replied snappishly. It sounded painfully stupid, even to me. I decided to stop debating with myself and just do it.

It seems weirdly petty in an otherwise serious inner monologue.

I’m also not super into the quotes being used as scene change dividers, but whatever. It’s easy enough to overlook in an otherwise good story.

That’s it for now.
Dvel732732 chapter 35 . 12/13/2015
OH MY GOD I WANT TO KILL SOMETHING! I FREAKING CANNOT FATHOM HOW MUCH HURT I'M EXPERIENCING RIGHT NOW. MY HEART IS...MY HEAD IS...I'M JUST...UGH! YOU HAVE KILLED ME, I HOPE YOU REALIZE THIS! NOW I GOTTA START THE SECOND PART AND HOPE I HAVEN'T GOTTEN MYSELF INTO SOMETHING THAT'LL KILL ME IN THE END! MY GOD YOUR STORY WAS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD AND AWESOME AND EVERYTHING WORTH PRAISE BUT I'M JUST SO SAD AND UGH! I DON'T WANNA START THE SECOND PART, BUT NOW I HAVE TO AND IT PAINS ME. IT PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY AND EMOTIONALLY PAINS ME, BUT I MUST ENDURE! *dies* *thank you so much for this story I'm legit crying of both happiness and sadness that both know no bounds like you have no idea omg...ok rant over XD*
Midori no Kaori chapter 35 . 11/12/2015
I CANT BREAATHHEEE SOME ONE CALL CAN AMBULANCE!
omggg I just, i caaannttt TTTT You, YOU have me at a loss of words! This story is pure goolddd. I wanna cry till i run dry but at the same time I wanna laugh my guts out and destry something! This neeeds to be published.
But really, this story is exellence itself. I love it. I read a lot of smut, but I'm actaully really glad that they never really did it, or it was written explicitly. Every little detail, the small things and how each little reaction and emotion, it just swept me away and i feel like I'm there. Whenever the POV changes, I feel like im grimm or ichigo. I just don't have enough words!
Sorry, that I didn't review in each chapter OTL I literally couldn't stop myself from reading unless I needed to eat, piss or sleep (haha grimm is rubbing off XP). But, i can't express how much this story just moves me. And I am VERY looking forward to going to the sequel now!
just let me say this.
Thank you so much for writing this fic and making it exist. It really did, sincerely make my life feel better.
Sorry for the wordy review, but I hope you'll keep writing. This is God sent talent, I can't describe how well this is written. Its got its hand around my kokoro the whole time!
Once again, thank you!
Guest chapter 35 . 8/21/2015
THIS MADE ME CRY SO FUCKING HARD
l'obsidienne chapter 35 . 6/25/2015
OKAY.

I don't know how to start.

Well at first, pardon my mistakes : I'm French and I guess that's why I've never post a review before. But like we say in France "mieux vaut tard que jamais" (better late than never, thanks wiki) aaand now I'm here. I'm not really new in this fandom because I mostly read Drarry (Harry/Draco) but the Grimmichi thing re-started to obsess me with the return of Grimmjow in Bleach. I didn't find good fics in french and I looked for english fictions AND THEN I SAW CHRYSALIS. AND MY LIFE WAS OVER. I'm kidding but yeah I was really really really obsessed with the characterization of Grimmjow and Ichigo, they were so fab and your writing skills are excellent. I think I've read Chrysalis non-stop until chapter 26 but I remember, the end broke my heart because Aizen find out about their relationship and I KNEW deep inside me that the ending was sad (I'm stupid because I spoiled myself by reading reviews). At first I thought that they would escape together like Trevor and Zach in Drawing Blood (by Poppy Z. Brite) somewhere like... Jamaica or France (we have stinky cheese huhu). But no, Grimmjow "died" and it was painfully beautiful. Fuck it, i love your story.

It took me... two weeks, I think, to continue the story and finish it. I was so sad, you can't imagine. But the sequel worth it and I'm so happy that you write again fefrrgthybyhbgf (yeah it's a word). Chrysalis is my fav grimmichi fiction, I don't have enough words to thank you so... merci infiniement, du fond du coeur, pour avoir écrit cette histoire.

Hope everything works out for you ! (so we can have another chapter of the sequel... yes i'm selfish, i know)
Brassica chapter 35 . 6/23/2015
I'm crying SO fucking much because of this.
I mean... the whole 'grimmjow-is-dead' thing was very sad to me because I really believed just for a second that he was dead... I mean, for real! but the thing that hurted me was that Ichigo never cried. It was like... he was so damn hurt that crying never crossed his mind. Or like he never could because the pain was so much that he just... he could not cry. And it broke me. Madly.
I don't know if I'm going to read the sequel until it's finished (I can't start reading something that it's not finished because I go crazy waiting for updates) but I'll tell you: I WILL READ IT! each every word of it because this is a piece of art, all this story. Not today, not tomorrow, but I promise I will.

Now if you excuse me, I'm gonna cry all alone over there because this... omg. Thank you, thank you for this, really.
(PD: sorry for my english, i'm venezuelan. -I speak spanish, lol-).
EveIyapo chapter 35 . 6/9/2015
I'm not entirely sure where to start with this review since it's been over a year since you've updated anything... but... just in case you still check your fanfic emails, here goes.
My sister has been on me for MONTHS to read this fic of yours after getting me to finally sit down and watch Bleach. It was shortly after we reached the episodes of Ichigo and Grimmjow's final battle that she first mentioned Chrysalis. I kept saying okay, okay I'll get to it. And I certainly meant to do so but days, weeks, months passed where my mainstay (wrestling fanfiction) took, precedence.

Then, finally, this sunday night I read the first chapter. Thought, "Hmmm, I'm intrigued... let's see where this goes." Where didn't it go?! I spent all day yesterday reading this fic! Started around 10 am and in between little things like bathing, eating, drinking and being moderately social with my family my eyes were glued to my laptop screen. Probably not healthy in retrospect but I'm the same way with a good book and it's been a long time since I was compelled to finish ANY writings, novel or fanfic.

I was enthralled! The characterizations were so completely spot on that I could literally hear every person in this fic as if I were watching the anime. Fantastic. But that tragic past between Ichigo and Grimmjow slowly over so much time blossoming into romance? Magnificent. I'm a huge fan of the slow burn when it's written well and you absolutely went above and beyond any expectations I may have had from my sister's enthusiastic recommendation. If I could applaud you a thousand times I would! Thank you for this wonderful fic. I imagine it must have been a beast to write and keep up the quality past 100,000 words but you managed beautifully.

I can only speculate as to why you haven't completed the sequel. Life gets in the way sometimes and it's completely understandable. I'm not going to beg and plead with you to finish it. I'm sure you've gotten enough of that already *laughs* (and I intend to read through others previous reviews some other time). But should you plan to do so, you have one more fan waiting.
Setia Prenn chapter 35 . 5/29/2015
okay first of all HOW DARE YOU. you DID have to end it like that huh. you just HAD to. i read this stupid thing in like two days straight and i fucking loved it and so i thought i made a nice start for my weekend BUT NO IT HAD TO HAVE TO HAVE THAT ENDING. i almost trew my phone through the room. fuck its been hours since i finished it and i am still upset what have you done to me
Kantarera chapter 22 . 2/4/2015
I get so much feels from this chapter, and Imma gladly drown in them. Argh... I feel like screaming down from the top of a building somewhere, yeah that's what you made me feel. Yep, I'm this extreme of a person. Super awesome chappie XD
Pumagal chapter 35 . 10/14/2014
Fucking son of a bitch, that made me cry at the end there!
BashfulMangaka chapter 35 . 9/30/2014
This story was beautiful but sad. I loved it but did you have to end on a sad note? I know that you tried to make the story as realistic as possible and I liked the fact that the character were angsty but not overly so, and that their emotions were so clearly and beautifully written that it felt as if you were the one experiencing them.
1,745 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »