Reviews for Tentative Friendships
Redd chapter 2 . 3/21/2011
Only just found this - and it was awonderful read. It's been a while since the update, but I'd really love to see more of it. You've seem to have TJ and Rush pretty figured out. And I loved that TJ got to go and see her family. If this is it, then it was amazing, and if it's not, then I hope I review again soon!
Soten-ni-zase chapter 2 . 10/10/2010
Update please and thank you.

Now excuse me while I finally crawl into bed and rid myself of the sleep deprivation induced headache. (I need to stop staying up so late before I end up like Rush. It's a proven fact that not sleeping enough will turn you into a grouchy Scot's man...even if you're a woman XD)
carolann chapter 2 . 8/21/2010
Nice chapter. The scientific talk was a bit too detailed for my taste so I skipped over some of it. Very interesting having TJ visit a sister back home and use her as her confidant. I'm still not really clear if on the show the rank and file on destiny know that the baby she's carrying is Col Young's.

I agree that she should have been eating more since she's pregnant. I also don't think that anyone on the ship would begrudge her the extra food.

One problem I had with the show when they're trying to imply that there wasn't that much food on board Destiny is that some of the cast aren't thin so it's not believable to me when they try to show that they have a huge lack of food when those members of the cast look like in real life that they could shed a few pounds. Robert Carlyle and some others look thin in real life so their characters not having access to adequate food seems believable. For some of the cast though they look overfed to me.
carolann chapter 1 . 8/20/2010
Great chapter. I feel sorry for TJ since she's only a medic but is expected to function as doctor for everyone on Destiny without any real trained assistance and without hardly any diagnostic devices. I can't imagine that they were able to take very many medical supplies with them and unfortunately so many of our medical supplies these days are disposible. I've wondered how they still have any left after all of the injuries they've had.
Mr Evil 37 chapter 2 . 6/27/2010
Hey Jen, I'm back :D get ready for another long review...

It was absolutely brilliant. Not that I'm surprised, but still. Your SGU stories never cease to enthral me completely, and I love reading them.

You seem to just have a way of GETTING characters. Whether it's Rush, or Young, or a secondary character like James, you always write them completely in character and with complete realism and faithfulness. TJ is no exception, and her attitudes towards things in this chapter were exactly the sort of attitudes that she would have.

I lover the scenes with Rush, and how he simultaneously comforts and frustrates her. He is a character like no other, but I think that he helps TJ when she needs it most.

While helping myself to understand it all, the explanation if the events in "Time" also featured so many unspoken/unmentioned words between TJ and Rush. Not sure if this was intentional, but there is obviously some kind of tension between them in that scene. Whether it is sexual, loving, curious or whatever, I don't know, but it works well nonetheless.

I loved Burges care for TJ. She needs someone who cares and van actually help her in a very real, physical way. I wonder if he knows about the pregnancy though. Bit coincidental that she needs more food for her baby and he is giving her more. Looking forward to seeing where you take this relationship.

The scene where TJ broke down in her room was heart wrenching, and truly showed how flawed and human she is. And yet her amazing ability to over cone her problems and over come her problems shows an incredible strength that not many people have. This is the main area where your writing excels, and I would like to commend you on that :D

I also loved the communication stones scene. We haven't learnt enough about TJs family and past in the series, so it was great to see this area explored. You took what little info we have about her family and created a completely believable and realistic family; something that TJ desperatly needs.

I am finally up to date with your stories, and I am loving every word. Considering my doubt over whether I will ever finish "Asteroids", it's great that you have this on going AU that will grow alongside the show and yet in it's own way. That and your writing is far superior to mine :D

You had better post a new AaC soon, or a new Tentative Friendships. I need my Lilandriel fix! Haha.

Talk to you soon,

Evil.
Mr Evil 37 chapter 1 . 6/19/2010
That was brilliant! As always :P

I liked TJ is finally losing it at the beginning. Throughout the whole series we have never seen her lose it, she just seems to keep all her stress inside her and bottle it up, occasionally breaking down in tears. But never trembling in rage! You just love putting the characters through bad shit don't you? :P

I liked her conversations with the science team, and how she disapproves of the "nerd bench". That speaks volumes about her maturity when compared to the rest of the crew. I think that Eli seeds happiness in everyone. That's one of his great qualities, but he doesn't know when to stop and that's why he is annoying sometimes. I can imagine TJ getting annoyed at them for not wanting to do anything without Young's say so. And the science team themselves were also perfectly written as usual :D

Now, onto the meat of the chapter: the encounter with Rush. I really loved this scene, and I was not expecting Rush to turn up in the infirmary at that time of night. And I also thought that his lack of sleep would make him very irritable at TJ for messing up the console. Guess I don't know him as well as I thought I did :P But I loved the interactions between them, and I can see that you were exploring your own thoughts about Rush through TJ. That was a great idea and gave us an insight into Rush, but also into TJ as well.

The scene where TJ is creating the cure for the disease from the ice planet was very interesting because it showed that her job does stress her out a lot, but she can overcome it and get on with it when necessary. She had been up for, what, thirty hours and had the prospect of the deaths of everyone aboard Destiny hanging over her, and yet she was remarkably calm. This is one of the things I admire about TJ, and something that makes her a very different and interesting character.

I also liked the couple of lines between TJ and James, which emphasised their friendship and I guess laid some of the foundation for when they both have to restrain Rush in AaC. That was cool :P

Since your story is an alternate universe, perhaps you could write a one shot set during "Time", maybe on the planet or about the crew watching a third Kino. Because of all the messing around with time, you could give this as the reason why your universe is different than the TV series, because something strange happened in your "Time" which didn't happen in the series "Time". If that makes sense. Haha even talking about time (both the episode and the thing itself) is confusing! :P But yeah, that's just an idea.

I'll get round to reading the next chapter real soon, but I am loving this story! I am loving all your stories, you're an amazing writer. Can't wait for more :D
angelfire east 24 chapter 2 . 6/17/2010
Another awesome chapter! I love bit about TJ wanted to heal Rush so badly. And TJ's sister is just awesome. Telling her to steal. It's right in way, she does have baby to think of and she is the only medic there. Who else is going to look after everyone else? I really like your characterizations so far. I can't wait for more!

I'm not sure about Rush's accent. I'll have to rewatch some of early episodes again. I know Robert tones it down the show but I'm not sure if he's done more as series went on.
Swedish SGU fan chapter 2 . 6/16/2010
Great job! Please write more :-)
Edwina B. Karch chapter 2 . 6/15/2010
WOW that was awesome Lilandriel. I love the inneraction between Dr. Rush and TJ, Esp the sleeping ordeal. I can't wait to rad what you have in store for these two in the next chapter. I think that Dr. Rush just dosn't form lasting friendships because of possibly having to later deal with loss. He is capable of being gentle and caring esp. with TJ where he has nothing to prove. Thanks for the great story and please update soon.
coldqueen chapter 1 . 6/14/2010
I really liked this story, I thought you wrote the two characters, TJ and Rush, very well.
Becca chapter 1 . 6/8/2010
Very well written!
Edwina B. Karch chapter 1 . 6/8/2010
Awwww thanks Lilandriel. I would hunt you down but I wouldn't hurt you, you give me fixes when the withdrawls get intense. Sorry the PM'ING was off it's on now. Now to the story, as always you have done a wonderful job with the story and I enjoyed it. Thanks so much. I can't wait for an update on AaC or another story.
CelticLady00 chapter 1 . 6/8/2010
Another great story! I love the interaction (or rather non-interaction) between TJ and Rush. Nice to hear TJ's thoughts (POV) on Rush and the rest of the crew.

I like how you have this story tieing in with the kino Time episode. Your one comment, "Even the image of Doctor Rush holding up what turned out to be his own skull was terrible in it's own way; she'd caught the fleeting look of nausea on his face as he watched the video..." actually gave me shivers up my spine. That 'was' his own skull wasn't it. Talk about a creepy effect.

Now back to Actions and Consequences! :-D I can't wait to read more on that story as well.

Good job.

~~ Celtic Lady
Shorty McGee chapter 1 . 6/8/2010
That was good. I think there is more to Rush than meets the eye. He seems to hold all people at arms length.
angelfire east 24 chapter 1 . 6/8/2010