Reviews for The Lady, or the Tiger?
2mrklr chapter 2 . 10/14/2012
Excellent! Personally I think he goes through with it. Nice story!
gnbrules chapter 2 . 6/7/2011
Yeah, I agreed with Wash. Serenity is no place for a baby, not with Reavers and people like Niska and constant gunfire. Zoe was insensible, probably almost *because* of the danger and wanting a lasting legacy... maybe a little piece of Wash, too, considering the way things went. In my mind I like to think the series ended with her being pregnant but subsequently leaving Serenity. Anyway, you did a great job at showing his fear. Those dreams were downright distressing, but also a legitimate possibility for the crew. Excellent work!
rijane chapter 2 . 5/1/2011
I love the intro - the absolute helplessness of a new parent followed by the grim desperation. And holy hell is that a dire line: "A grim certainty restored, Wash moves quickly towards their bunk, to help his precious girl stop crying."

/Zoë going mad, silent and efficient as Death, slaughtering the intruders without mercy despite her wound. /

Wow, fantastic scene - but I feel like it should be named seven times Wash gets his heart destroyed.

/That rigor mortis grin/

LOVE that description!

/But these nightmares, each one so gorram plausible./

Never have I been happier to hear it's all just a dream.

Wow. That's an amazing chapter - I think you've nailed the situation perfectly. Wash knows the score better than anyone here, Zoe included. Zoe wants to be a mother and a soldier. Wash wants to be a father and a husband. Serenity is home but it's no place to raise a child. Someone here is going to lose and lose hard. All these factors tossed and spun together lead narrowly to Wash's decision. But such potential for trouble if Zoe finds out her husband's choice.

This is a deliciously dark and deep piece and one of the best Zoe-Wash stories I've read. That said, I could live without the second chapter. Maybe because I like sorrow and ambiguity. I'm most comfortable with Wash's middle of the night crisis and rash decisions. Maybe I'm rooting for the tiger...

Now, off to read some fluff!
The Great Space Hobo chapter 1 . 12/21/2010
I loved this story! I like to see this deeper, more worried side of Wash we dont get to see much. Tho I was a bit lost in the beginning, I didnt know they where dreams at first.. then again it was prob just me. I'd like to think they had a baby, just cuz it would be the cutest thing every and Wash would be a great Daddy!
meridian-rose chapter 2 . 9/23/2010
Great look at the dilemma. We had a discussion after a team rewatch of "Heart of Gold" and my sentiment was that Zoe is wrong. She might think it's better to have a child and lose it but she'd probably feel differently if her infant ended up dead following an attack on Serenity. And in series canon (pre the movie) the attack could have come from the Alliance, making River and Simon partly responsible - which would shatter the crew-as-family.

I'm childfree but not in a relationship so I've never sought to be sterilised, but others who are in a relationship and don't want children or who have completed their families often find it hard to get sterilised because of this belief that everyone wants/should have either kids/more kids. But I agreed with Simon here, because Wash was not in his right mind when he made the request.

Wash was asking for something permanent, like a tattoo, while intoxicated. And Simon was right to refuse under those circumstances. Wash needed to talk to Simon in a calm, rational manner - and ideally, explain things to Zoe. Because this is a make/break deal and if you can't talk to your spouse about it, you've got problems.

Finally, thank you for introducing me to a classic tale I wasn't aware of. Fandom is awesome for the myriad sources we draw from and make others aware of :)
MusicMagicMurder chapter 1 . 8/3/2010
GREAT! Personally, I think Wash will give in to Zoe's 'charms' and realize that a beautiful Washburn baby is exactly what Serenity needs.
Spurlunk chapter 2 . 7/28/2010
Echoing the comments of others who have gone before me, I've got to say that this is pretty amazing. Of course I'm not the happiest that you've left us hanging, but I've read The Lady or the Tiger so I get what you're trying to do.

I think that neither Wash nor Zoe is ready to have a child yet. But I think they will, in the future, just not...yet. I think that though it would be dangerous to raise a child on Serenity, it wouldn't be *impossible. With so many people protecting it and loving it - I mean look at Kaylee! She's pretty much *helpless* in that aspect and she only got shot once. I don't know.

Have you seen the movie Serenity and read the comics? That might shed some light on this piece and the ideas in it.
Thescarredman chapter 2 . 7/6/2010
Another marvelous Wsh story that has my teeth clenching in anticipation as I await the decision in the next chapter - oh, wait, omigawd, it's marked COMPLETE!

In typical series episode style, you've given us an ending that isn't happy, or really even an ending. Well done!
Bytemite chapter 2 . 6/25/2010
"She says… she says she's not so afraid of losing something that she won't try to have it."

You know, now that you bring this up, this really is a HORRIBLE thing for Zoe to say about a baby. I never really gave it that much thought before, but to bring a kid into the world with this sentiment?

Hi, I'm self-defeating. I believe inevitably people around me're gonna die, but I'll subject my kid to getting shot and bleeding out anyway just to have them around for a while.

Maybe I'm not being very coherent, but it just kinda hit me. And considering Zoe's initial reaction when Wash died (not her later "shove the feelings down deep" moment at the end of the movie), this is a load of /pi hua/.

If Wash doesn't have a child, he might risk losing Zoe along with it. But I think here, clearly neither of them are ready to have a kid, for all Zoe wants one. Your Wash is scared, doesn't want to commit, and Zoe isn't doing this for the sake of the child they might have. It's all wrong.
CarrieVS chapter 1 . 6/20/2010
Can't comment on how like it is to Fireflt in style, or whether the characters are in character, 'cos I've never seen Firefly.

But it's really well written, none of the characters are flat, and it kept me interested even though I'd no idea what it was about.

I like to give constructive criticism, but I can't think of any.
Jadzia Bear chapter 2 . 6/12/2010
I can’t say enough how much I ADORE the interaction between Simon and Wash. We know that Simon isn’t very good at talking to people, yet he does an amazing job of comforting Wash while staying perfectly in character. The part where he finishes Wash’s sentence is just beautiful, I really love it. And of course Simon would understand, he must worry about River’s safety in the face of that same violence on a daily basis.

I appreciated Simon’s musings about his own father. Thank you for conveying both Simon and Gabriel with the complexity they deserve. I think Gabriel and Regan would have shed many tears for their lost children, and would be horrified and wracked with guilt if they knew what the Alliance had put River through. I love Simon’s medical metaphors, by the way (‘the therapeutic equivalent of aspirin’ etc).

When you write you give us incredible insight into exactly what’s going through a character’s mind at any given moment. I don’t know how you do it, but you convey so much information without the story getting bogged down.

The brilliant humour, perfectly handled amongst the angst, continues in this chapter – The first rule of medicine is 'do no harm,' not 'the customer's always right.' XD

Like the original ‘The Lady, or the Tiger?’ this story is a study of the human heart. What can Wash bear to live with, or without?

As for what he decides, well, I can’t see him going through with the vasectomy (and he already knows it’s not the right decision – “Wash is disappointed he'll have to revisit his idiotic plan, particularly the going-through-with-it part”). But I also don’t see him being talked round on the idea of having a baby on the ship (at least, I hope he doesn’t get talked round – because he’s right!).

As much as I disagree with Zoe’s position, the decision to have a baby is always an irrational one, driven more by biological urge than logic, which I think is perfectly conveyed by the line: “She says she's not so afraid of losing something that she won't try to have it." He shakes his head in disbelief. When did he become the sensible one?

Even though I don’t have the answers, I’m grateful that you’ve given me reason to go and read the original ‘The Lady, or the Tiger?’ and to have the mental debate about it! Thank you once again for making me think, and for another intriguing and beautifully written story.
Jadzia Bear chapter 1 . 6/12/2010
Like everything else you write, this is a piece of pure brilliance. The nightmare scenes are beautifully done, descriptive and dark and chilling. You handled the implied violence with incredible skill. You didn’t have to say too much, but what you have written is, I think, open to a little bit of personal interpretation, depending on how dark the reader wants to go. For instance, to my mind, the end of the first nightmare goes to very confronting places, and the image of Niska walking away with the baby in his arms sends shivers down my spine. While he’s capable of any number of abominable things, I think my biggest fear would be that he’d raise the child as his own and turn it into some sort of terrible monster like himself.

Lines that struck me in particular:

“teach him bird whistles that echo off the hull” really spoke to me for some reason.

“He's such a bad liar, and he married such a good lie-detector.” I always love your Wash, this is such a wonderful line.

“That rigor mortis grin” – so chilling

There were some incredibly poignant lines in this chapter. The one about the gentle herbivore was heartbreaking, and only Zoe could go mad with silent efficiency.

While some writers seem to use present tense just for the fun of it, the way you’ve used it here really adds to the mood of this story.

I must agree with Wash, each one of those nightmare scenarios is so gorram plausible. In my opinion Serenity is no place for a baby, although the ‘Mal factor’ is a tricky one. Wash’s thought process regarding how he would feel if Zoe COULD cope with losing their baby is interesting (and right on the money, IMO).

By the way, I loved Uncle Mal and Auntie Jayne! You handle the humour amongst the darkness so very well, and I love that even in his sleep, Wash manages to get in a joke at Jayne’s expense!
Mary Kroll chapter 2 . 6/11/2010
Good on ya, well done.
Enfleurage chapter 1 . 6/10/2010
I loved Zoe's insight that "when her almost compulsively verbal man needs quiet, best to leave him be, she thinks. He'll speak in his own time" and the way that she doesn't push him because she knows him so well.
Mokibobolink chapter 2 . 6/9/2010
Great story and a wonderful look into what must be such a hard dilemma for poor Wash. Very well written.