Reviews for Rest
Madame Minuit12 chapter 1 . 11/18/2011
wow intense...
PhoenixFire55 chapter 1 . 9/6/2010
That was so sad, but so good. I loved the last three paragraphs.

I've always admired Speirs, but I've wondered whether or not the rumors were true. Now I don't think it really matters. Your story managed to change my opinion, which is amazing. (Not because I have rigid opinions or anything, but because your story was so good that it made me think differently). And redemption is a key piece in most of my stories, and I've always found it challenging to try and write redemption in a poignant way that also makes sense, so that you could capture it so well is amazing. You wrote the perfect backdrop for Speirs to redeem himself, and I also liked the flashback of him talking to his mother. It gave him a much more human substance. And I loved the paragraph where he starts to cry, because it outlined the contrast between his weaknesses and his barrier against emotion. Another great story!
ber1719 chapter 1 . 6/10/2010
Okay so I personally thought that this was one of the best short stories about the emotional and physcial aspects of the work camp at Landsberg. Speirs breaking down was just the icing on the cake I thought too. Of course he's probably my favorite BoB guy. He's just too delicious for words but I'm getting off track...I loved that the guys also gained a lot more respect after seeing that Speirs has a heart and can actually feel behind that cold, steely exterior he likes to put off.

I can't wait to read more of your short stories to be honest because they're such a breath of fresh air from a lot of the short stories I read in this fandom.
H.J. Bender chapter 1 . 6/9/2010
The discovery of the camp is always a tough topic to broach, but you did a good job of describing Speirs' feelings of anger, disgust and revulsion toward the Nazis. I'm always amazed at the sight of Speirs' face during this scene in the film; for the first time it looks like he's fighting back tears, and I'm glad you chose this scene to elaborate. It was an excellent choice that I'm sure few have considered, so hats off to you! I would watch your use of ellipses, though, especially within the non-dialogue parts of the story. They're great for adding emphasis or a dramatic pause, but too many can break up the flow of your story and make it difficult for readers to follow. I can tell you're a writer with a flair for style, and you seem to know exactly how the characters sound-which is great! Keep the stories coming-it only gets better from here.

P.S. If you're ever unsure about how your story is shaping up, there's quite a few beta readers here whom you can ask for a second opinion; ber1719 is one, I believe. It's always good to have a fresh set of eyes look over your work, and it'll help you become an even better writer. :)
captain ty chapter 1 . 6/9/2010
Wow, you are well on your way. This was deep and thoughtful. I like the idea of you making him more human while he remembered the conversation with his mother...then letting Webster see and comment. Very nicely done. Keep going.