Reviews for Just a Nice, Private Affair
geordie grey chapter 1 . 6/11/2010
Another great story from St. Crispins.

"Just a Nice Private Affair" is a sly, somewhat quiet piece that limns the challenges of loving in the dark world of loss inhabited by the Men (and Women) of U.N.C.L.E. (Quiet, of course, is a relative term - the story contains physical combat, poisoning, and a hidden bomb.)

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. went off the air in 1968. While somewhat of a phenomenon in its first season, the quality of the show (and its popularity) faded as it descended into camp in its second and third seasons until it was finally (and to some, mercifully) laid to rest halfway through its fourth. That was 42 years ago. By all rights, it should now be forgotten. Anyone discovering it decades later should expect to be relegated to either rereading the few novels that were released, haunting ebay or garage sales for worn issues of the Man from U.N.C.L.E. magazine or other licensed material. (And be prepared for it to vary widely in quality, much like the show itself.)

It says something to the power of the original vision that fan fiction is still being created about it. However, we are incredibly lucky that there is someone out there like St. Crispins, choosing to invest their time, energy and talent into creating such interesting and compelling fiction. Crispins' stories don't just take us back to a world of pen communicators and Del Florio's, but somehow brings Napoleon, Illya and crew back to a more vivid life than they ever had onscreen.
Enfleurage chapter 1 . 6/10/2010
There are so many wonderful bits, it is difficult to pick out a few to mention. I loved the scene at the gun range between Napoleon and April, both very in character, task oriented, and yet insightful, and April's realization that "the skeletal globe and the little man poised protectively beside it, were positioned side by side, like the bride and groom dolls atop a wedding cake."

And how amusing is it that this wedding was held at Our Lady of Perpetual Peace? Attention to details like that one are one of the many reasons I truly love your writing.

And of course, the ending with Mark watching Napoleon and April dancing, a beautiful dangerous 'nice young couple' was just icing on the cake.
Aunt Debi chapter 1 . 6/9/2010
Snort ... and I thought the weddings for my coworkers were bad!

Fun piece.