Reviews for Sulphur & Silver
AmazingWriter123 chapter 1 . 5/25/2013
Nice
Sauron Gorthaur chapter 1 . 2/19/2013
That was very beautifully done. I always love a good Dustfinger and Resa story, and this was an excellent version of their first meeting. You write very well, and you did an excellent job of portraying both Dustfinger and Resa in this lovely one-shot.

It isn’t often that I run across stories as well written as this one. Not only did I not catch any mistakes, which is rare enough on this website, but your writing style is captivating, elegant, and clear, in many ways like Funke’s writing style in the actual books. As I was reading, I could totally imagine this being a missing chapter from Inkheart. It seems a lot of writers on this website like to rush their stories, but you don’t do that, which was refreshing. You took time to develop the story, the descriptions, the atmosphere, in a way that I really enjoyed. While it certainly wasn’t too slow or boring, it didn’t have the careless, rushed quality that many fanfictions seem to have. It felt like you actually enjoyed writing this and spending time on it to make it as good as you could. And it really was very good. I loved your similes and descriptions that sounded so much like Funke’s, like “her touch like the brush of faerie wings on his skin” and “She'd been a rebellious little bird from the start,” both of which sounded like they could have come straight out of Inkheart.

You also did a beautiful job with all the characters. I liked how you portrayed the Black Jackets at the beginning with their story, especially the description of how they both fear Basta and enjoy making fun of him when he’s not around. The Magpie locking Gwin up in a birdcage sounded exactly like something she’d do. And you did a great job with both Dustfinger and Resa. It was in character for Dustfinger to be sneaking and lurking throughout the whole story, first hiding in the shadows listening to the Black Jacket’s story, then sneaking around at night looking for the key. His admiration of her bold spirit, but also his warnings to her about disobeying, were in character for him. And then I could totally feel his frustration as he’s trying to figure out what Resa’s telling him with her written letters. I also thought it was a nice touch about him being so self-conscious about his scars, and I loved the way you described him being able to feel them. His bitter line about being too mangled for Resa was great, and he had the sad, sarcastic personality throughout, evident in a lot of his lines, that is so much a part of him while he’s in this world. I especially heard it in his introduction of himself to Resa as Capricorn’s pet and entertainer.

Resa was well portrayed also. Her wariness toward Dustfinger initially but not being afraid to strike his hand away when she thinks he’s overstepped his boundaries was appropriate for her, and throughout, you definitely showed her fighting spirit. Even in the fact that she is resolved to deliver her message to Dustfinger, despite his poor reading skills and reluctance, showed her determined spirit. And I thought it was an interesting detail, and one that I’d not thought of before, that Dustfinger would want to become close to her because she’s someone he can trust because she can’t give away any of his secrets. It’s a bit self-centered on Dustfinger’s part, but then, Dustfinger’s a pretty self-centered character, so it made sense and was fitting.

Very, very good work. I was much impressed with your writing skills, as well as your storytelling and characterizing abilities, and I enjoyed the story a lot. Keep on writing!

-Sauron Gorthaur
Snuffbox chapter 1 . 9/2/2012
So beatifully written, one of the best fanfics I have ever read! The Dustfinger-Resa romance vibes are so convincing! Like reading straight out of Inkheart. I loved it!
Goldencity chapter 1 . 11/29/2011
I liked this quite a lot... Thanks for writing this, I really enjoyed it.
Rivergift chapter 1 . 6/19/2011
Good detail in this! Their interaction was pretty believable, and really fit with who they are... or maybe I'm just a hopeless fan of Dustfinger/Resa friendship, but regardless, good work!
Abject Tears chapter 1 . 12/21/2010
I'm not sure if this is complete, but either way, I loved it! The detail in description of their meeting was great, and also their reactions. Wonderful (:
Welcome2DaHouseOfFun chapter 1 . 6/12/2010
Ooh, great, loved it! Please update soon!