Reviews for To Soar into the Sunset: A Night Fury's Odd Memoir
Kinkor the Knight chapter 14 . 11/20/2011
Great story. A wonderful depiction of Toothless's side of things with a slight sci-fi edge added in. Manages to add to the original HTTYD story without rewriting it or changing the themes. I liked how you wove in the whole Night Fury/Lighting People culture and the Dreampaths segments. It even makes the battle with Red Death a bit more personal and thus more memorable.

I have to read your other stuff when I get the chance.
SpiderAppleCider chapter 14 . 11/8/2011
I loved Toothless POV, and the details! It was like I was reading Black Beauty, Dragon style! :) I find this story to be very deep, rich in words and spirit, and all in all wonderful! You wrote one of the few stories I just had to read to the end! I loved ever bit in it. I just can't say enough about that story. :) Thanks again!
Khilari chapter 14 . 10/27/2011
This was brilliant. I especially liked the weaving in of real Viking customs - and the explanations for why Hiccup's tribe don't always follow them. And Toothless thinking the human name for his species was nightfurygetdown.

The storyline and dragon society was fascinating, and the whole thing was very touching. Well done :)
Ophidias chapter 14 . 9/10/2011
very well done. i don't think i need to say anymore, your story speaks for itself.
Gumdrop Boo - Ch4rms chapter 1 . 8/9/2011
I'm sorry I never got to this. I think I clicked it once long ago but immediately drew back because of my bad experiences trying to read fics with:

A) Fist person narration

B) Toothless's POV

They always seemed to fall so far and I just couldn't take it anymore but now I'm slightly healed and ready to get back into it at the recommendation of Whitefang. He was very passionate about it and I know you put a lot of thought into your reasoning and writing so I trust!

You definitely have given Toothless a personality without making him a 'person' if you know what I mean. I appreciate so much how he observes things a little bit different than a human, that gives him a dragon-edge and keeps him intelligent. I also like how you format their communications so it's not the same as 'speaking' like a human and I love that Hiccup's talk isn't understandable to him and us at the same time though we know what he is saying. [is it real Icelandic?] it adds a bit of dimension around this illusion that Toothless is telling his story AND he's a dragon.

I love Toothlesses inner thoughts on things that we already have seen from the movie, and his assumptions about Hiccup and a neat way for him to realize Hiccup had brought him down by gleaning his scent.

Technical and format-wise it's perfect and it has a good variety of words that send you deep and take you back out. No flowery, bogged down type stuff or too shallow of words to skim over everything. :)

One thing that jarrs me out of the illusion throughout this chapter is the often use of the word 'people' to describe his own species or other dragon species.

People, to me denotes the human species and when Toothless is likening his describing his kind as 'people' it throws bumps into an otherwise smooth imagery. I would suggest substitute words such as 'folk, kind, comrades, tribe," in all these places 'people' is used for the dragon-kind.

"relaying directions to my people {comrades?]flying..."

"Her people[kind] get caught in traps"

"I am a Lightning Person[folk], what they call a Nightfurygetdown, the most hated of the People[tribe]"

"These People[folk] have been doing it for hundreds of years, raiding the Firemakers"

"The first of my people[folk, kind]to be captured!"

"I helped protect my People[kind] while gathering some useful intelligence"

Well you get the idea of what I'm saying and sorry if it's really picky but I'm dedicated to always try and suggest ways to create tighter chapters in any field.
RoseWild chapter 14 . 8/4/2011
Fjord Mustang, I really liked your story. It was well written, and the characters felt really real. The first half of the story was my favourite - I'm kind of a sucker for human/animal bonding and or interaction. I thought it was rather inventive for Toothless to call fellow dragons people; it makes sense somehow, and I could still understand the story despite things being renamed.

I too like Heinlein, so I did understand some of the time concepts you introduced, and it was easier to make sense of than some of his stuff.

Overall a great story, and wonderful retelling. Keep writing.

RoseWild
RamenKnight chapter 14 . 7/27/2011
Soooooo glad you have a sequel.
RamenKnight chapter 13 . 7/27/2011
Best remake of the fight i have seen. Great job.
RamenKnight chapter 11 . 7/27/2011
nice chapter. And one thing i noticed about a lot of lullaby, at lest American ones, they are truly horrible if you think about whats going on. it give me the lolz
RamenKnight chapter 10 . 7/27/2011
ANd i still dont see how you have so few reviews. You fill in so much missed story line that the movie just couldn't cover, and make it your own in an AWESOME way.
RamenKnight chapter 7 . 7/26/2011
Another great chapter, but it looks like ti is getting late (. Bed time it is for me. Just glad ill get to sleep tonight. BTW, adding you to favorites mean i view this story as better than 99.99% of fanfics.
RamenKnight chapter 6 . 7/26/2011
another chapter well done.
RamenKnight chapter 4 . 7/26/2011
Wow, awesome way to make him as accepting as he was in the movie. Love how you seem to take the movie as a general outline while still following it close. Dont know how you do that.
RamenKnight chapter 3 . 7/26/2011
Very good job with the back story. I dont know how you have so few reviews. I also love how you write. Im on the edge or writing a HTTYD fanfic myself but not sure if i can take it on, my last fanfic failed. Think i tried to take an idea past where it ended. If it do I think i may use this writing style.
RamenKnight chapter 1 . 7/26/2011
holy crap this is the best toothless point of view EVER. You got down the fear they would have of humans down pat.
295 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 .. Last Next »