Reviews for To Soar into the Sunset: A Night Fury's Odd Memoir
Demonic girl111 chapter 14 . 7/17/2015
(SCREAMS IN FANTASTIC DELIGHT) I LOVED THIS STORY SOOOOOO VERY MUCH! THIS WAS AWESOMELY WRITTEN AND WAS NOT RUSHED, AND I LOVED THAT TEN TIMES OVER! GREAT JOB!
Demonic girl111 chapter 5 . 7/16/2015
Huh, I can't wait to find out how that happened. I'm excited, and this is exciting. I especially love the part where he thinks the humans call him "NIGHTFURYGETDOWN." Now that was hilarious. Awesome so far, can't wait to read more.
Alethro chapter 14 . 7/12/2015
Hello,

I ( u/Plailect) am the unofficial fanfiction reviewer for the r/httyd subreddit. I read an httyd fanfiction every couple weeks and write a review to talk about my thoughts and opinions. Each post includes a link to the next thing I'm reading so people can follow along and share their thoughts and the previous posts for people unfamiliar with my posts. I am going through the process of linking old posts to the authors as feedback. These are old and may be outdated now.

You can find your post here: r/httyd/comments/2lfgd7/to_soar_into_the_sunset_fanfiction_part_3/

Thanks for your time,
~Plailect
Mada-Scarpath chapter 14 . 5/16/2015
You are evil. Now I will have to go read some of those books. Grr...
CatGirlFireflare chapter 2 . 4/21/2015
This is one of the best 'How To Train Your Dragon' stories in EXISTENCE, in the entire Universe. (I hadn't even finished the 1st chapter before I was begging my sister to read it too.) The narration style is as professional, detailed, and beautiful as any I've ever read in any novel. And there are no curse words! Yahoo! I LOVE the fact that Toothless is narrating, and I love the way he and other People are named- it's beautiful and so perfectly fitting. The word 'brilliant' is not enough to describe this, but it's the best I have. This! Is! Brilliant!
Guest chapter 13 . 4/10/2015
It is actually "Helheim's Gates", Helheim being the Scandenavian afterlife, and Hel being the goddess of it.
Trudemaethien chapter 5 . 3/3/2015
Ch5 I get a craving for sushi as well; isn't that curious. :) Just not vomit-flavored. If you're sick then so am I. I am impressed by the amount of research that has obviously gone into this story. And thanks for the story rec for Whitefang333, I'm going to check it out.
mordreek chapter 14 . 2/28/2015
A very excellent conclusion to an even better story.

I really enjoyed the detail you went into in regards to the recovery process. Lot's of detail to help us get a picture of what had to be glossed over in the movie. The little touches like Astrid being there for them and Stoick acknowledging their sacrifice fleshed it out superbly.

The alternate time lines/hot springs part felt half Heinlein and half Doctor Who. Both used the alternate time paths bit very well and sometimes in the same manner. Since I am a fan of both, I had no issues with that explanation.

The part where the Night Furies own up to their mistakes was another cheering moment, especially the "Kill Ring 5" standing up for their friend. Oakheart has really grown on me, Hel, all of them have. Good to see the 4 who exiled Toothless received a taste of their own medicine. To all things there is a price, and this is theirs...particularly that little bully.

I loved this story from top to bottom and I will most definitely recommend it to those who share this fandom. Thank you for the hard work and great depth of your story.
mordreek chapter 13 . 2/28/2015
What a chapter, this really set the bar for your writing.

I have to admit, the dream sequence was beautifully done. But if you know what to look for, it's fairly easy to tell that it's the "Lady" trying to control the dream. First hint for me that something was off was when Toothless' "mother" kept insulting the saddle. You did a great job of making a "something's not quite right" moment without spelling it out. That being said, you did a good enough job that I felt myself starting to get taken in. At least until Toothless called her on it, then it was "HAH! I knew it!" time.

The flirtation scene was particularly nice as well, I may steal the general bit of it as I have a few places I could use it in. But gave off this "razor's edge" ambiance, that if Toothless was an inch too careless, he'd die instantly. That kind of adrenaline rush is addictive in it's way.

The dragons running in front of the "Lady" reminded me of the krill from finding nemo in this scene "SWIM AWAY!" And the way the "Lady" toyed with the vikings reminded me of the White Witch from The Chronicles of Narnia (she did the entire time but this is where it really shone).

I have to admit, I both cheered and teared up from being moved by your telling of when the "riders of Berk" flew in to the rescue. It's hard to put into words why these scenes, when done right, hit me right at the heart. But I was choking up from the little Irish spitfire's (literally!) explanation as to how they came to be there, to the Welsh Gronkle's running monologue and "curse" as he squashed Fishlegs. (I kept hearing the scholar from Dragonheart in him) You did a masterful job of showing their commitment to each other and their determination to go down fighting if they had to.

And the final fight between them and the Red Death, I could hear them and see them in my mind's eye as if I were watching the movie. The bit about how much damage Hiccup's left leg took was a good way of showing why he had to lose it.
mordreek chapter 12 . 2/28/2015
Nice take on a scene we really don't see much of in the movie. I can sympathize with how hard this moment would be, I tend to skip it while watching myself.

I particularly enjoyed how you portrayed the various "kill ring dragons" the Welsh scholar of a Gronkle was a nice touch.
mordreek chapter 11 . 2/28/2015
I love Toothless accepting the compliment from Astrid with the mental proviso "Just as long as you don't hold a grudge for me kidnapping you".

The twisted lullaby was a nice touch, as was making the Red Death sounds like an elegant, cruel lady. Gave her a certain horrific beauty that made her all the more sinister. The 2 dragons getting eaten in this scene were made all the more tragic by their being friends with Toothless. Good way to add a sense of loss to this chapter.
mordreek chapter 10 . 2/28/2015
This has got to be one of my favorite chapters in the story. The sarcasm and wit displayed by Toothless had me laughing hard enough to cry. "The pleasure is all mine, you silly mammal" and the "flight announcement" bit were particularly good.

I also liked the idea as to why they couldn't find the entrance to Helheimsgate. Made sense and provided additional reasons why Toothless would follow the dragons.

I have to admit your take on Astrid does explain a lot and adds to her character. "More Catholic than the Pope" is a saying for a reason.
mordreek chapter 9 . 2/28/2015
I felt bad for Toothless here, having your whole world ripped from you will do a number on anyone. He handled it well though, focusing on things with Hiccup and making a clean separation into his new life.

The drop in confidence really added a sense of danger and breathlessness to the "final flight" scene from the movie. And when Toothless finally made a mental connection with Hiccup, that really sang, the perfection of flying and of being one.

Giving the Terrible Terrors a latin accent was a nice touch. I had fun laughing at their antics and Toothless spanking them like redheaded stepchildren.
mordreek chapter 8 . 2/28/2015
Horsebutt and Gatalas are good people, at least they are trying to do something. Not to mention it's hard to dislike people with such healthy senses of humor.

The explanation for the horned helmets was pretty good actually. That kind of ego show would fit the world they are in. I also like the touches like their literacy and acknowledging their cleanliness, shows good research and dedication to the story. And it's fun to watch ANY boy with a crush.

It's also funny to watch a dragon suffer through a Viking boy with a crush. You'd think he was getting his retracted teeth pulled the way he carries on :P Only to be distracted by new thoughts and smells, yeah he isn't like a cat at ALL.

Hmm, bureaucrats and fools, would rather watch the world burn than do anything to stop it. I was right about it being a sacrifice play, just not about the nature of the sacrifice.
mordreek chapter 7 . 2/28/2015
Long chapters are good, in my humble opinion. So I had a lovely time reading this one.

Hiccup healing the damage done to Stormthrill was good to see, we really don't get the impression that he was badly injured beyond losing the tail-wing in the movie. The game of tag was cute too, nice bit of bonding.

The saddle arc was appropriately tense and stressful as both sides were having trouble seeing the pov of the other. It took a bit for them to reach common ground, Stormthrill nearly killing Hiccup and Hiccup realizing he was approaching the riding from the wrong tact, but they made it.

The Dreampaths were a different approach that I wasn't expecting. The basic concept of "stronger together than apart" was well conveyed and fits the story context with no issues. The Turkmene's question about why the sector is dark makes me wonder if this isn't some kind of sacrifice play by the other Night Furies.
295 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »