Reviews for To Soar into the Sunset: A Night Fury's Odd Memoir
mordreek chapter 6 . 2/28/2015
I was intrigued by Stormthrill's attempt to triangulate where his fellow Nightfuries were being lost. If it weren't for Hiccup, he's still be chasing his tail mentally I think. A frame of reference helps out tremendously. Stormthrill's assertion that HE is merely training Hiccup and not the other way around is funny as watching someone in denial always is.

Stormthrill's reaction to "Toothless" was a riot, you could almost see the mental *facepalm* as Stormthrill figures it out. And we see more proof here that Stormthrill is slowly flexing the "telepathy" part of Hiccup's brain as he tries to communicate. Hiccup wouldn't be picking up information otherwise. The "bless you" response to Hiccups name in Norsk was worth another giggle, that is a timeless joke right there.

Ah the bonding of the geekdom, there is nothing like it. Further reinforces their common bond in the eyes of the readers. "I must remember to dream of big baskets of fish..." Hey, Stormthrill, nice try buddy :P

You did a very excellent job dissecting the way Hiccup was being treated by Stoick and the village via Stormthrill.
mordreek chapter 5 . 2/28/2015
You did an epic job of giving life to this scene from Toothless' side of things. From the slow bonding to the "walking the walls" this is one of the best renditions of this moment I have ever read.

Nice touch with the touching of the muzzle (no pun intended) breaking down the language barrier.
mordreek chapter 4 . 2/28/2015
It's rare to find a well-told story in the first person perspective, and so finding one like this which almost puts the reader in the skin of the character is even more enjoyable.

The bit where Toothless (or Stormthrill) heard Hiccup's thought gives credence to the idea that humans used to have that ability but either stopped teaching it or forgot it. Wonder if Hiccup will regain the ability in time.
mordreek chapter 3 . 2/28/2015
You did an excellent job of research here, with the Turkmene horses and the general time period as well. I like the to and fro between Toothless and the "dragon" he was journeying with, outside of his family that was probably his first friendship.

Thank you for making the effing distinction of the raiders/conquerors and the settlers/traders of Scandinavia. And for pointing out that the people of that time (and now, let's be honest -_-) kept lumping them together.
mordreek chapter 2 . 2/28/2015
So the Night Furies are from the Tibet region huh? I like it, makes sense. It also matches with their wanderlust and need to explore, keeping the numbers manageable.

I love the idea that Toothless was a trickster growing up, matches the little bits of mischief that you see in the movies and the shows. That and the way you painted his family life was easy to picture in the mind's eye, giving me a sense of nostalgia as I read.
mordreek chapter 1 . 2/28/2015
As an avid Heinlein fan, I am really enjoying this story already. You have managed to do justice to his style of writing, presentation, and emotional conveyance.

I think one of my favorite part is Toothless and the lynx-ii, their social dynamic would look like fighting to any outsiders that happened by but they just see it as common courtesy.

I love Toothless' reaction to finding out Hiccup made the ropes that snared him, "Holy shit, this guy is their greatest! Of course it'd be my human counterpart that'd take me down!"
Kate chapter 14 . 2/21/2015
This was such a fantastic story! You should totally write a sequal. Also, this was such a great story that I stayed awake until 2:30am to finish reading it 3
Great T'Phon chapter 6 . 12/31/2014
Hmm... Adora Bell. Is that a reference to Adora Bell Dearheart, from Going Postal, by Terry Pratchett? Either way, this is incredibly well done.
neverred chapter 14 . 12/30/2014
I loved this story :D, listened to the Dragons soundtrack while reading.
I think I'll try out some of those books.

Much love, and many thanks
Aurora
neverred chapter 8 . 12/30/2014
Aww, poor Toothless. Bastard thunderbutts.
neverred chapter 6 . 12/30/2014
I absolutely loved the culture and history in this chapter! I like Hiccups name (Though 'Hlyri' translated as 'warmer' not Haddock like 'Ysa' - in Islandic, which is what the rest of his name is.)

And his conversation, herbal and cooking skills is a nice touch, as well as the depth with his injuries...

Amazing chapter! Hiksti-Tannlaus BFFL!
Nocte Furorem chapter 2 . 11/28/2014
From the description of his home, including the humans that live there and how they dress, I'd guess that Toothless came from somewhere in the Himalayas, probably Nepal or Tibet.
demon edge chapter 14 . 11/12/2014
I never did try to read your works. Couldn't understand the lore, felt like the story kept jumping and all they unpleasant jazz. Turns out I was reading the sequel first and since I tend to avoid oc-centric fanfics I kept clear of your works. Now I feel so ashamed that I ever thought ill of your writings. Sorry, awesome story already starting up on the next
Crysist chapter 1 . 10/27/2014
I had to give this yet another read through so I could finally post a review on it.

The first chapter of this story is simply amazing. I have no other words for it. I love the introduction, it's probably the strongest hook I've ever read to start a story. Beyond it, this chapter is made great through its main character's personality, for one. Toothless has many traits that make "him" a gripping narrator: his confidence, his sarcastic tone, his hilarious concept of 'manners', his cool and cocky attitude ("Han Solo"!).

I also simply cannot get over how well-written I feel this story is. It is written so smoothly; everything seems so well described and flows so well from words to word, sentence to sentence, paragraph to paragraph. I simply love this style very much and I enjoy it a lot every time.
godlet chapter 14 . 9/5/2014
I love disabled characters.
This story filled me with so much joy. It truly is beautiful.
295 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 .. Last Next »