Reviews for Code Geass: Mao of the Deliverance
The Anguished One chapter 28 . 1/31
Incredible story, truly. Mao has always been a fascinating character to me, and I love how you wrote his story. While I disagree with you saying Lelouch was romantically in love with his sister, that does not damper my opinion on your tale. Bravo.
Caimthehero chapter 28 . 3/23/2013
I was a little surprised to find actual content in the 2 chapters following the final showdown of Mao against Lelouch. Honestly I wish chapter 26 would've been the ending. Yes some readers might have complained about a downer ending but that's the way it happened. Mao was never a hero. He was a psychopathic man child obsessed with the love of a woman he could never have. He doesn't even really know what love is in all honesty. CC was the only person he thought of as human and loved her by default. Answer this who else could Mao have fallen in love with? No one that's who. He didn't truly care about who CC was, her past, her dreams, her likes and dislikes. He didn't even know about her love of PIZZA! The ending reeks of preferential treatment given to the protagonist that it outright mocks canon while still supposing to be similar enough that you could actually interject it into. I for one believe that the story would've been ten times better if it had ended two chapters earlier. I'm sorry to say this but the ending elevates Mao to Mary Sue levels. He was essentially a villain protagonist that was a slave to his own desire for a woman. In other portrayals he would be seen as a creepy stalker (a little like Edward from twilight). At least Bella returns his affections though unlike CC with Mao. To finish my rant if you really think about it, the ending you gave him might be worse than canon. You've essentially doomed him to spend forever in CC's memory being tortured by her presence yet unable to actually be with her. To make it even worse no matter what you believe on Lelouch living or dying in the finale it is worse for Mao. If Lelouch dies CC sees meaning in life and carries on with her immortality not seeing it as a curse anymore. If Lelouch lives it gets even worse because not only has Mao lost CC forever to Lelouch (who now has Charles Code) but he is stuck in CC's memory bank where undoubtedly new memories of her with Lelouch will haunt Mao in every waking moment of his life. Probably the ones of him making love to CC would be the worst. So in conclusion your supposed "Happy" ending is worse for Mao than the peace death would bring.
P.S. If anyone thinks I'm hating on Mao I would just like to state that out of all the villains in Code Geass he was my favorite. Schneizel was too much of an Anti-villain. The Emperor wasn't inspiring. Clovis was decent but a hot head. VV was a creepy kid that looked like he belonged in the shining. Finally Cornelia was a good villain but just couldn't go toe to toe with Lelouch mentally like Mao could via mindreading. After all the only person that might outsmart Lelouch was Lelouch.
Maybe I was a little harsh in this review and I apologize for that but I see so much potential in your writing future that I just couldn't help but be as blunt as possible.
Caimthehero chapter 26 . 3/23/2013
More black against black morality. I like the idea that the bomb malfunctioned instead of Suzaku being a physical god. It was a good story despite the moments of OOC from Lelouch, CC, and Mao. Lelouch with pointlessly cruel (at least thoughts), CC with her connection with Mao which she views as her biggest mistake, Mao with his intelligence he really wasn't that bright in canon and you seemed to try and give him every advantage when writing. It might have been just for this story but the protagonist should never be that overpowered like how he basically lost in this chapter because canon demanded it rather than him actually getting beat like in canon. Although he was overpowered in canon as well which was why he only lasted 3 episodes. Someone that strong couldn't be left alone he would cause too many problems. It was a fantastic story and I hope to read more of yours.
Caimthehero chapter 24 . 3/23/2013
A great chapter exposing Nunnally. I like your idea about how Nunnally could be so corrupt in canon and it makes more sense to me then the saint Nunnally they try to portray. People are human and act in their own desires and you've done a great job showing that.
Caimthehero chapter 21 . 3/23/2013
Okay you gave Lelouch a little bit of a god complex. I disagree with it a bit. Just because he likes to lead doesn't mean he thinks he's the greatest thing in the world. In fact it's shown that Lelouch has a massive guilt complex for subjugating people under Geass as well as the atrocities he commits for the greater good. So if anything the only part of the god complex he has is his guilt over failing everyone. Also I'm not sure if its just me but I found myself rooting for Lelouch despite the fact that Mao is the protagonist. Maybe it's because he seems a little OOC in this chapter.
P.S. I don't think Mao ever had sex with CC. You can kind of tell with his pure rage when Lelouch says he has seen every part of CC. Like he hates him for being closer to CC than he ever was. Also I doubt CC would have sex with Mao considering she practically raised him.
Caimthehero chapter 20 . 3/23/2013
Was this chapter really necessary. I'm guessing its some kind of delusion of Mao's but still I don't understand why you would dedicate a whole chapter to it.
Caimthehero chapter 18 . 3/23/2013
Epic seeing the scene from Mao's point of view.
Caimthehero chapter 17 . 3/23/2013
You like to reference music a lot while writing don't you. A great chapter and insight into Mao's mind. I approve of the way you handle the limitations of his Geass. Most people don't understand that if you put Mao into a normal type of fight where training and muscle memory take precedent he would lose horribly. It was the main reason why he had to wait for Sayoko to leave before he could target Nunnally.
Caimthehero chapter 2 . 3/22/2013
A great beginning so far. I like how you had a Gundam Seed reference like Code Geass didn't have enough in common with Gundam already ;)
RagnartheSemiGreen chapter 28 . 1/12/2013
Great story! I always thought that Mao got short-changed by the authors, a far too fascinating character disposed of far too soon. Other fics haven't done well by him either, so I am happy to finally have found a good, quality, Mao-centric fic!

Thank you!
CelticKawaii chapter 28 . 8/27/2012
So did Mao finally come to realize that Lelouch isn't as evil and vile as he originally believed? Are you going to do a sequel? Is Lulu going to live in this? You never cease to torture me in this, but it was utterly beautiful. What you have is truly a gift for writing, and this was a wonderful look into a minor character and his brief appearance in the story of Code Geass, which you managed to expand into its own story, deep and complex as the original.
I look forward to a sequel if you ever plan on writing one, and want to read more of your stories. As for this, it was amazing. Thank you.
CelticKawaii chapter 27 . 8/27/2012
I'm fine with the way Mao and C.C. broke his Geass - in fact, it wouldn't be such an awesome scene without that epic moment. Whenever someone breaks through a Geass, it's awesome! Besides, what kind of ending would it be for Mao if he were stuck in C's world and never able to voice aloud his love for C.C.? And as for the 'not really killing Mao' part, I'm fine with that because first, I hate it when my favorite character dies, and two, it's Code Geass - you can never be sure just who will live or die by the end. It'll always keep you guessing. :) This chapter was utterly beautiful, by the way.
CelticKawaii chapter 26 . 8/26/2012
I have an explanation as to why Suzaku could match his movements EXACTLY to the bomb; he is the son of Chuck Norris. There, that trumps physics entirely. XD
But seriously, it's intense, seeing the way both Lelouch and Mao go from pitiful and begging, at the mercy of their own worst enemy, to grinning and standing over their prey smugly and victoriously - it's things like that that make them such complex characters! And C.C...she finally said it! Though I do think Lelouch would carry out a threat like that - if you hurt Nunally, even indirectly, you WILL get buried alive.
CelticKawaii chapter 25 . 8/26/2012
Aha, very true - plus, we're talking about Lelouch, right? I just doubt that someone in remedial PE could cover well over 500 meters without being dead by the time he reached the chapel! (You know it's true) XD But then you'd assume Mao's a very good actor...that is, if he already knew Lelouch was under his own Geass and all - but that too isn't a far stretch for Mao. He puts on a near-perpetual act of smugness and superiority when he's really a deeply hurt child...dammit TV Tropes. Dammit to hell! Can't wait to see where this goes...
CelticKawaii chapter 24 . 8/26/2012
Hm, took a lot of twists in this chapter...well, while I don't agree with the idea that the relationship between Lelouch and Nunally is incestuous, I can't say it isn't canonically supported. A lot of fan theory surrounds that scene in R2 though - Nunally has psychic powers, Lelouch (if we're to assume he's gained a Code from Charles) affecting Nunally via contact, or just a desperate attempt at a Really Dead Montage. Still, I find your interpretation interesting, though I always assumed it was just being a living lie detector, not an outright mind reader! But really, I'd say even without psychic powers, Nunners would've figured that Zero sounds just like her older brother! I mean, to a blind girl, it's just Clark Kenting. XD
Anyway, still amusing how she was able to turn Mao's attempted mind rape on HIM! Seriously, she's definitely Lulu's sister! :P