Reviews for The Good FanFic Guide
percabeth2death chapter 1 . 5/27/2015
s/10894130/1/The-son-of-the-Huntress-I-Crip-moon

I have no idea if this is a crappy OC story. I did a few things you mentioned, unique name bad past and such but I haven't heard anything negative at all
Chicly chapter 2 . 6/16/2013
Something happened to my computer...
Anyways as I was saying how do you know if this was meant to be offensive to some people? That the author purposely wrote this for reviews, that they were trying to be mean to you? You don't. They probably meant for it to be FRIENDLY advice to f-authors and not come out as offensive for some people. So reviewers, think about that.
Chicly chapter 1 . 6/16/2013
Some of the people reviewing this story are not giving compliments or advice, you are giving flames. If this upset some people on fanfiction oh well. Suck it up. Who said you HAVE to pay attention to this guide, to DO EXACTLY what is says? No one. So if this hurt your feelings then just ignore it. And for all the people reviewing this, some of you are saying die, you suck, you have no right to tell us how to write, or you should quit fanfiction and never come back because you suck as an author. But some of you are saying that this fanfic, in a way, is telling other fanfic authors that it is ruining there hopes of becoming authors and they should quit, so the author of this story should quit to. The people writing this, do you not realize YOU are ALSO ruining another persons dream by telling them that THEY should quit because they hurt a few feelings? Your doing the exact same thing the author is doing.
Chicly chapter 2 . 6/16/2013
This is a good guide for fanfic guides to follow (although it doesn't really fit in the Sisters Grimm category) . Although I have a few things I didn't like. (1)The spelling errors. Like you, most of the fanfics I have read have spelling mistakes. But you really can't base a story off its spelling. If it has about 5 spelling mistakes in each chapter (or close to that) it's alright, after all, everybody makes a few mistakes in their fanfics. But! But if they are using chat speak, abbreviations for almost every word (like coconut cnt), and misspelling almost every single word THEN you can criticize the story. (2) I agree with on not calling you character something like Dret Sparkly Pee Pants Vasque. But what if the author is just doing that to try and make the story humorous and one of a kind instead of gloomy, boring, and serious? They want to make it entertaining and get lots of reviews about how funny and totally ridiculous the story is. See my point? And lastly (this is for all fanfiction writers) when you write a story you don't want flames. Nobody does. You want nice compliments on your story and advice on how to make your story better. Everybody wants that. And if you want that why are you bringing flames and insults to other stories when you know good as hell your story might not even be as good as theirs. My point? You want compliments, they want compliment. So why are you insulting their story when you both want the same thing. And if you we're the author of that story and you were reading all those nasty reviews on your story, you would be pissed off and ready to kill somebody. So to all those story insulters, don't do that.
zabchan chapter 2 . 1/12/2011
so far this guide is entertaining, straight forward and establishes a nice rapport with the reader that makes the reader actually consider the message and a changing of behavior that a more heavy-handed condemning snark-tastic guide would. The author is convincing in making me feel she wants to help me rather than make fun of my failed attempts at writing.

and while i personally don't write OCs, i do look forward to future chapters of this guide to see if you cover any areas I may be actively overlooking/mistaken about when i write fanfiction so i can improve.
Skadi 2. Marchking chapter 2 . 8/23/2010
I like the way you approach the suethor audience. I've read all to many guides that just flat out say the readers are stupid. You sort of...ease them into acknowledgment. It's very civil of you, I must say, and it get's your point across better. I'm going to be murdered in my sleep for this, but I honestly think your guide is much clearer and much better than the Veritas' Godly Guide to Fanfiction.

Au revoir,

-Skadi
algebraic.wonton chapter 2 . 8/10/2010
I like the point of this fic. A new attitude towards FanFiction.

But I have been a flamer/CC victim before. The criticism did confuse me a little bit though, just because the actual point of my fic was ignored. Basically the review was picking on parts of the grammar and things like that, which were admittedly not the greatest. I think the reviewer sort of missed the bigger picture. So just keep that in mind when you flame.

And perfection doesn't exist. Yeah, that sounds really cliche, but its true.

And so that I don't contradict myself and make me look like a huge hypocrite, I'll comment on your actual fic. It flows nicely. It was funny. It was put together and polished. And your research was there. Good job.
The Literature Dragon chapter 2 . 7/20/2010
Generally I don't review stories, but I felt that yours needed a bit of "constructive criticism."

I do understand that many stories out there aren't well written with pretty bad grammer and spelling, but I know this story, many of your reviews, and your community really hurt a few of my friends feelings. It's a little below the belt if you know what I mean.

Fanfiction is a place for young people like me, to express themselves. They may mix up their your and you're..s but they do it as an outlet to express their creativity.

Really all I'm saying is, there is a line between flames and constructive advice. I fell that you've crossed it, Especially with the community. It's not nice to generalize stories based on a few spelling errors.

Anyway, I just wanted to get my thoughts out.
killian chapter 2 . 7/5/2010
Thank God there's someone out there who thought of writting this.

I hope you got lots of people reading this.

BTW there are a few Mary-Sue tests out there, the best I have found is the one by katfeete.
Blue-Eyed-Lily chapter 1 . 6/28/2010
Sorry, interactive stories aren't allowed. I have to report this.
GunnN chapter 2 . 6/26/2010
Thanks for this, i don't think i have the OC problem but a tad bit of the OOCness problem lol so i'm waiting for that next guide! have a good one.

-Nick
My Poppy Is Here1232 chapter 2 . 6/26/2010
Hey there! I think this guide is a great idea to help improve people's stories. While some think it's mean, it's clearly only published to help people improve and make it in the FanFiction world.

Humm.. ther isn't really much to add! Great idea, and I really think oits jolly that you put it in the SG section...

because it doesnt really matter. Lulz anyway awsome job!

-My Poppy Is Here1232
Ayns and Sky chapter 1 . 6/26/2010
Sky: First of all, I laughed my ass off at your comments on the Mary Sues for the most part. And talking about the 1/2 vampire 1/2 princess 1/2 demigod (talk about redundant for chrissakes XD) thing. I think I scared my brother at how hard I laughed.

But.

You started getting a little pushy with your views on what an OC can or cannot be. Now don't get me wrong, I'm the first person to despise an OC with a passion, especially when they're thrown in without so much as an explanation but they're suddenly best friends with a main canon character... Of all things to nag on though, why nag on unusual names? Personally I feel like you should name your OCs whatever you want to name them. (And not just because my author name is Sky lol)

It's not to say that a character with an unusual name is automatically a Sue or such. You sound a bit like my friend's over-conservative mother, who thought our other friend naming her baby 'Lilian' was a bad idea and not 'traditional, like Mary or Alice'. My IRL name is very unusual, and so are several of my friends. Not that I agree with names like 'Button' or 'Sparkle' either XD

Last thing here I wanna touch on... Why is this in the Sisters Grimm category? I mean I know there are many bad fics for SG that make my eyes bleed (and I offer constructive criticism that usually offends the writher) but your 'guideline' had nothing to do with this section specifically. Why not post this in the PJO section?
elligoat chapter 2 . 6/25/2010
Not a real fic. Authors Notes not aloud. Reported. :) Hypocrite.

A lot of people on this site are, what, 10? They're not going to take this fic lightly.

It would be very helpful, not only for yourself, but for other people if you stopped reporting peoples stories. I mean, fanfiction is a place where people write because they love to. So it's a big put down when someone comes and ruins not only the writers fun, but the readers by killing the story. I'm sorry to have reported you, but at least now you might see our side. You know that saying? What goes around comes around? Yep. :)

I hope you can learn from this,

-Elligoat
Curlscat chapter 1 . 6/25/2010
Hi. THis is a good idea, but it's not a fic. Just thought I

'd point that out, since you seem to be a stickler for the rules. Did you go review every story that had challenge as the name? Or just mine? SOrry if I seem a little pissed at you, but you reviewed the first two chapters of my story with entirely negative feedback, and that can get a person a little upset. I also find it kind of annoying that you just came into this category as a writer to tell people how to be better and started 'spreading your wisom around' in a brusque way. I'm not saying that you should stop trying to help people improve, just be a little nicer about it.
49 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »