Reviews for Bitter Escape
SimGurl chapter 33 . 9/10
Hello, first off I wanted to say how much I love this story. It's refreshing to find a well written, unique take on this series. I particularly enjoy that Lucius is a character that you can relate with. He's well balanced in personality and in knowledge, yet it's obvious you can still make him grow quite a bit without making him over powered or bland.

You also write all the characters very well, but I'll admit I really don't like the Anarchs. I remember I used to like them quite a bit, but then they also appealed to my more rebellious side when I was younger. Personally, I prefer the Tremere or the Toreador (they can be quite interesting and fearsome if played correctly). I've realized they're just as horrid as the rest of the vampires, despite what they try to make themselves out to be. I think his best chance would be with Strauss when it comes down to it. He's going to need someone in the end, especially when he finds out the truth about his sire.

I say Strauss because from the vibe I got from him when I first played is that yes, he is manipulative, but not in a cruel way. With his intelligence and age I believe his manipulations would be like that of an adult to a child. Say what you need to them to get the job done, but don't abuse the child to do so. I hope that makes sense.

I haven't finished reading all the chapters yet, so this might have changed, but I do hope that Lucius stops being a doormat for every vampire he speaks with. I understand that he's a fairly submissive person, but after the trauma he's experienced I had hoped he'd be more... abrasive. He's stayed a good guy despite the circumstances he's been forced into, but he's too wishy washy when it comes to making decisions. I'm not criticizing though! As I said I really enjoy this story.

One last question, is there any chance for a relationship, or at least a friendship between Lucius and Velvet Velour? If I remember correctly she was surprisingly kind, and if you're good to her she does genuinely fall in love with you. Her distaste for violence and cruelty could be good for him.

Sorry for this review being so long, I hope this doesn't bug you, and sorry for any misspelling. I'm a bit dyslexic and don't notices mistakes very well.
agd888 chapter 39 . 8/26
only you can make LaCroix a likeable character. Great updates, keep going
Pyryp chapter 18 . 8/12
I wish Lucius wouldn't ne quite as much of a bitch as he is.
Wubwub chapter 39 . 8/4
Lucius is back to Santa Monica! Yay! Hopefully he won't see that annoying bum again, the guy can be a potential masquerade breach.
Neoalfa chapter 39 . 6/19
I missed this story. Your characterization has gotten deeper and I like what you did with Mercurio's and Lacroix's backstory.

Needeless to say, I hope to see more frequent updates, but I take what I can get.
kanemi chapter 36 . 4/8
Just found this story, and I am really enjoying it. For one thing, I appreciate that it is neither a retread of the game nor is the main character an overpowered badass who gives everyone lip. While you are following the main quests, things like Skelter accompanying the main character on the Plaguebearers' quest, or Paul helping him make it unique and interesting. Also, the explanations you give for Lucius' abilities make sense rather than coming out of nowhere.

And can I say how refreshing it is for a character who is not awesomesauce incarnate? Things like Lucius reflecting that he looks like a complete creep to Venus or how he is immediately cowed when faced with a homicidal Therese to being manipulated over and over again by everyone and their dog keep him from being boringly overpowered, while his pet the dog moments (ah Patty, who would have thought I would ever pity you) and refusal to give in keep you rooting for him.

The only nitpicks I have are really only regarding formatting. The centered text in the first part was a little distracting, but I think that that was only the first chapter. Other than that, there have been times where there have been visions or flashbacks where at first I didn't realize what was going on. Some way of events that are not actually happening would help me personally to distinguish, but, like I said, this is more of a nitpick than a genuine concern or issue.

Anyways, just wanted to take a moment to give a review and favorite this. I will be looking forward to future updates.
Utuu chapter 36 . 3/20
I'm so happy you're writing again. I can't wait for the next chapter.
Neoalfa chapter 36 . 3/11
I'm both happy and disappointed with this story. Happy because it's amazing, disappointed because it contains so many elements and plot decives from the story I was planning to write that I can no longer use them without it looking like I'm plagiarizing your work.

I'll probably still go along with my Tremere Necromancer main character (and I'll be using Confession as haven, although I'll be taking the crypt).

On a different note, I want to praise your characterization. Although I don't like Lucius all that much, I admit that you painted him realistically in context. The same goes for the other characters. They have been extremely expanded from the original material but without them losing their own genuine vibe. As a writer, this is worthy of praise. The world building is slow but steady and fulfilling and I'll be eagerly waiting for more. All in all this story is worth 8/10 to me.
Keep up the good work.
agd888 chapter 36 . 2/22
finally got around to reading this story and i love it, i think you have adapted the story really well and really like how you weave "Wraith" in to it. Look forward to the next.
invinoveri chapter 35 . 2/19
I would make a suggestion that you fix the formatting of your first couple chapters. People might get turned off the story when they see that. Also, there were some formatting problems in some earlier chapters when you wrote in italics; there were no spaces between words.
invinoveri chapter 34 . 2/19
Skimmed over the Paul stuff.

It really looks like Lucius is going to help some random Anarch vampire for no reason.. I understand Lucius has some mental problems or whatever but you have to realize 200,000 words about pathetic!lucius that never learns his lesson gets tedious to read about. I'm all for Lucius not being a political animal right out the gate but that's no excuse for being stupid. As realistic as you want to portray Lucius you also have to make him likeable.
invinoveri chapter 33 . 2/19
Yes Independent!Lucius. And if Lucius teaches that anarch how to raise a spirit he deserves to be killed. I would be fine with right after he teaches her she kills him.
invinoveri chapter 32 . 2/19
Liking how Lucius is getting more politically aware; he hardly made any mistakes here.
invinoveri chapter 30 . 2/18
Yes! Lucius is becoming a badass! His decent into becoming a menacing vampire seems slow but in reality this is his 5th day being a vampire so it's actually pretty quick.
invinoveri chapter 28 . 2/18
Wow. This was a really good chapter. You are getting good.