Reviews for Secondhand Rose
LovelyLadyMindings chapter 1 . 4/27/2016
Wow, this is a wonderful depiction of Emmett and his relationship with Rosalie. Just wonderful. I've often been frustrated with Stephanie Meyer's seemingly simplistic and static characterization of Emmett as this happy-go-lucky, funny guy. But you brought so much depth to him in this piece. So much maturity and understanding underpin his relationship with Rose, it's absolutely wonderful to read.

And your Rose. I really liked the way you depicted her, being connected to her past and never quite being able to let Emmett in completely. I especially loved the whole mirrors bit. That scene spoke volumes about Rose, despite the lack of explicit character description. Wonderful.

And your Edward. I quite liked your take on him - him being slightly immature and boy-ish despite his 'age.' And his similarities with Rose that you highlighed were great as well. As were the parallels between Emmett and Bella.

Just a wonderful piece really. Well done!
Jessica314 chapter 1 . 8/19/2014
This was absolutely perfect! You always get all the characters down in writing just right, and Emmett is no exception here. And I loved the comparison between Edward and Rosalie- I never once thought of that before. But you're absolutely right, and also about the way that Bella and Emmett will never be quite "let in" fully by their mates. Though I still hope that Edward is capable of changing, just a bit more, than Rosalie ever did.

I also loved the part where Emmett found out about why Rosalie got changed. I'm actually in the middle of writing a chapter where Rosalie finds out the awkward truth about that- though I conveniently have Emmett being elsewhere at the time, because I couldn't for the life of me figure out how he would respond to it himself. But this helps thank you!

Very well done, as always! (by the way I generally don't read M, and never slash, but I am very much enjoying your canon K-T stuff :)
Sheryl's Sphere chapter 1 . 7/18/2014
I loved it. The insight was truly inspiring and absolutely spot on. Great job.
Guest chapter 1 . 1/5/2014
Oh my God...I'm up.
her illusion chapter 1 . 7/29/2013
aww,how nice :)
geophf chapter 1 . 7/1/2013
Dear giselle-lx,

Thank you for this story. What I liked about it is that you were honest to every character mentioned here. You breathed life into Emmett, so much more so than the sporty caricature he's often relegated to, and you breathed life into Rose in ways I haven't seen. The image of her smashing every mirror because of the curse of her beauty ... yes, I know she hates herself, her privilege, because she worked so hard to earn what she so wanted, but it was the very thing that opened the door to her happy ending was also the very thing that slammed it in her face forever ... I know this, but I've never felt so vividly her rage boiling up as she regards herself critically, then coolly, then coldly and then becoming an ecstasy of violence as she lashes out at everything that shows her her curse: her beauty.

What I like, also, is your Edward, and that he's a self-conceited, smirking little ... boy. And, here, he's still Edward. He's not punished for being what he is and what he's done, like elsewhere, no: he's accepted. Yes, he murdered, knowingly, person after person, yes, he's the reason Rose is eternally here, and cursed to be so, yes, he's an arrogant pr!ck, but he always was, and everywhere so. Here, it's okay, though, because that's what he is. He's Edward.

And I loved your two seconds of Bella. Bella and Emmett are the same. They love their angel, beyond all reason, and want to spend forever with them. It says so, right in the books. And Bella is so new to all this, she doesn't know how to articulate this, because she doesn't know what 'this' is ... she just knows she wants 'it' forever.

But Emmett knows. He's been with Rosalie Lillian Hale for 80 years. He knows the good, the bad, and the ugly, and he chooses his Rose, his secondhand Rose, his Angel, forever and no matter what, and his regret, his big, throat-choking regret, is that he can't choose her hard enough to make it all better.

Because she won't let him. And she never will. Rosalie is unforgiving, an avenging angel, and the one person she'll never forgive is herself.

I liked this story. I like seeing the Cullens, and the One Real Hale, through his understanding, experienced and wise eyes. I liked Emmett being a manly man, a strong man, and angry man, an intelligent, thoughtful man, and a compassionate man.

Compassion: that we suffer with the ones who suffers.

Rosalie suffers, and Emmett loves her, suffering along with her, and being there, being strong, being silent, being understanding, being loving, with her, in her suffering, no matter what, until the end.

Forever.

p.s. my one regret? That I can only write one review to this story. When I come back to it, and reread it ten years later, I'll have something else to say, and how can I say what I saw in it ten years later, when I've learned and grown, when I have this review here already. Forever is an indelible mark. I hope this mark was good enough, perhaps just as Emmett hopes his mark, his self, is good enough for his Rose, when he knows, so terribly sadly, that it never will be for her, not because of him and who he is, but because of her, and who she'll never be again.
meelee72 chapter 1 . 6/8/2013
Aww, what a very sweet & insightful glimpse into Emmett's vast feelings, & his mind. I really enjoyed it, & loved the voice you gave him (one of ur many talents). I heard it well.
He is a gentle giant.
Helvetica Black chapter 1 . 5/15/2013
Brought me to tears. FF needs more quality fics like this one.
no cure for crazy chapter 1 . 5/10/2013
Wow. That was amazing and perfect and beautiful and awesome and everything else(: I love the way you wrote Emmett and I can see him thinking this and I think that he was perfectly in character(:
Tish the Dish chapter 1 . 3/14/2013
I love this story. It was so Emmett. I love the language you used for him, his simple logic was clearly evident. His painful yet poignant view of his Rose was beautiful. I loved it.

Love the line: "But when you love a broken person, you don't get to choose when they're ready for you."
Mrs. SRE Snape chapter 1 . 11/24/2012
i have never read anything like this but i think you did a great job and wrote emmett perfectly.
DishclothRioter chapter 1 . 10/10/2012
Wow. I loved it. I don't agree completely with Em's characterization of Edward, but there is truth in it. I am moved.

I am excited to read your other fics.
Belkatya chapter 1 . 9/23/2012
what a perfect portrayal of my favourite character! It does him great justice, something that one rarely sees in twific. Thank you for such a beautiful piece!
k1942 chapter 1 . 8/23/2012
Some of us have always known that Emmett is not simple-minded, just a simple man, with simple wants and needs. Mostly, just his angel, Rose.
Thinkingaboutnothing chapter 1 . 7/16/2012
A beautiful insight into a relationship which is often oversimplified. I love the comparison between Emmett and Bella. I've seen Edward and Rosalie compared, and I've read about their similarities, but this is the first time I've seen Bella and Emmett to be in similar situations. Always on the outside, loving someone who's broken. It's poignant, and certainly a thought to mull over. Congratulations on being true to the depth of characters in only a one-shot.