Reviews for Witness
excessivelyperky chapter 2 . 7/15/2011
Oh, how wonderful. I loved the scene where they were the most loving the best, of course. And the scene where they got away.

Here's hoping the leaving incantation actually took them somewhere they were allowed to live, too, and not to the closest Soylent Green Processing Facility.

Well done.
excessivelyperky chapter 1 . 6/29/2011
Very good start; it would be nice to think Snape survived the Battle of Hogwarts, even as a harried refugee. And this time McGonagall is with him, where Gryffindor privilege carries no weight.
Guest chapter 2 . 2/7/2011
Beautifully done! Still, I am curious what happened to them
frozenfiery chapter 2 . 12/31/2010
this is very interesting and very well written. It was shocking at how well you portrayed it. thank you for this great story.
yamikinoko chapter 2 . 12/14/2010
I'm beginning to get more and more astonished that your fics don't have more reviews-they're so original and powerful in their creativity that I have to wonder whether or not you're a published author. [You aren't, are you? I would have to go out and buy every single one of your books, otherwise.]

I find it amazing, frankly, that you were able to use OC's so effectively in fanfiction. I particularly enjoyed the bits of dialogue between McGonnagal and Snape-they were perfectly charged with emotion so as not to be overbearing, and the tension between them is what truly makes good writing. This was a fantastic read.
machshefa chapter 2 . 12/14/2010
Wow. This was so powerfully written. I love Ivo's narrative voice and unique POV. You've beautifully illustrated the terror of war and being a refugee... the forced intimacy and difficulty hanging on to hope and to one another. I love that Severus and Minerva are still themselves even here, and how they need one another so deeply.
Squibstress chapter 2 . 12/3/2010
I simply adore this story.

The third-person perspective works so wonderfully here, especially as you've written Ivo; a man whose age and experience has given him extra perspective on the events. It makes for a much more intimate story than would the omniscient narrator I always seem to write.

You've drawn these characters so economically and yet so vividly-even Miss Morris. [/envy]

I especially loved this: "Because that's what people did in a refugee camp. They fucked. They weren't "intimate," except in the sense that the whole damned camp was "intimate," everyone living cheek by jowl, no solitude, precious little dignity."

Beautifully done.

Cheers!
Shadowed Heart chapter 2 . 10/10/2010
Found the link for this on livejournal via Close Contrast, and I absolutely adored it! You had me falling in love with the SS/MM pairing all over again. The characterization of both professors is perfect, and Ivo is a very likable OC (something that I don't find very often). Any plans for a continuation? I'm dying to know what happened after they left the camp.
Swallow B chapter 2 . 9/4/2010
I see you write good historical fiction too. This rings eerily true in its details, both in Ivo's interview and in the description of the camp.

I like the way Snape and McGonagall are merely glimpsed : we don't know exactly how they got there or where they are going, at least not from this story. And this is exactly how it is during wars : people seem to appear from nowhere and disappear into the unknown.

And the frightening mystery of what is to become of the Muggle-born.

I just wanted to make one remark, that may not really have to do with the story : about the fact that Ivo worries about his son not knowing about the war. My experience is that though the war generation did not speak of it much to their children, the children (for WWII, that is my generation) were very aware of it, in some cases even traumatised, though they had not seen it. It is only now, when the third generation is coming of age and a fourth generation is beginning to appear, while the war veterans and survivors are dying out, that the first two generations are worried about preserving the memories. Thirty years is not long enough to forget.

But I understand you didn't want to extrapolate too far into the future and this is the wizarding world, after all.
BlueEyes444 chapter 2 . 8/20/2010
That postivally fantastic! :D
BlueEyes444 chapter 1 . 8/20/2010
This is just wonderful! :D
SensiblyScrewy chapter 2 . 7/20/2010
Wow. Really, wow. Very, /very/ well done. The way you looked into Ivo's life at the camp was... excellent. You found and described the feelings of the inhabitants of Vanda, the void of privacy, the pure, raw essence of emotion that people coveted. I'm not sure my words give it justice. You're a wonderful writer. I went looking for a Snape and McGonnagall fic, and found this little masterpiece. I'm using up all my luck on fanfiction. And I will mention, because I thoroughly enjoyed reading about them, your great skill at writing my favorite professors. Well done! Thank you for writing it. ;)_
whitehound chapter 2 . 6/23/2010
Beautiful, although it made me think, irreverently, of a couple of quotations. One by Angela Carter, whoever *she* is: "She looked a million dollars, I must admit, even if in well-used notes."

The other by Ogden Nash:

"...of defining Anglo-Saxon reserve I despair,

But I think it consists of assuming that nobody else is there,

And I shudder to think where Anglo-Saxon reserve ends when I consider where it begins,

Which is in a few high-pitched statements of what one's income is and just what foods give one a rash and whether one and one's husband or wife sleep in a double bed or twins."

And it does in part consist in assuming that nobody else is there - if a couple are having sex in some out of the way corner they can reasonably expect that if someone sees them (as I've done a couple of times), they will pass on by and pretend not to have noticed...

...and not do what a friend of mine and a bunch of his mates in the English Civil War Society did when they came on a couple having sex in a cornfield, and the rotten buggers crouched down and hid all around them until they'd finished, and then suddenly stood up in the corn in full 17th C gear and gave them marks out of ten.

Btw, if the reference to Severus bneing marked since he was fifteen refers to the Dark Mark that would mean he'd already been a Death Eater for five months when he had the row with Lily, and I don;t think that's likely. JKR said he joined the DEs in part in the hope of impressing Lily, yet of he's already a DE at that point she clearly doesn't know it. What little evidence we do have - and it's extremely tenuous - suggests he joined when he was nineteen.
the real snape chapter 2 . 6/22/2010
It was such a delight to read this story again!

And Walford has become quite a favourite of mine. He's so spot-on in his utter disbelief that *teachers*, of all people, could have a sex-life.

/"So are you saying. . .? Oh, god, you are. You are. You're saying that Snape and McGonagall are, like, together? You know, likeā€¦lovers and shit? That's what you mean, isn't it? God. That is just massively disgusting."/ Poor, dear, innocent Walford (who luckily will never know that I called him 'innocent', mature man-of-the-world he no doubt thinks himself.

/Life there was too elemental for euphemisms. You took your food and your sleep and your shits and your pleasures when and where you could, often in full view of anyone not too dazed or depressed to watch. Privacy wasn't a luxury - most of the time, it wasn't even a possibility./ Such a great description of the camp life.

And Valkyrie!Minerva is inspired.

/and through the gate took their solitary way./ Great ending.
WindOnTheWater chapter 2 . 6/21/2010
Its nice to read a beautiful, well written piece of fanfiction for a change.

An original idea too, which I loved. Thank you, please write more soon!