Reviews for Caer Dallben
Freawaru chapter 1 . 8/20/2010
I'm very glad you've put this one up again. I'm really fond of it.
adaon45 chapter 1 . 7/19/2010
How did I miss this? Please don't succumb to self-doubt about your stories-this is great!

I've thought myself about writing of Taran's guilt and grief for Adaon (and Ellidyr too, for that matter) in the aftermath of The Black Cauldron (but now that you've done it so well, I scarcely need to). It makes so much sense that Taran would be haunted in the way you describe. May I say that you do a splendid job depicting both his, and Eilonwy's, response. It's so in character that he would mope and she would snap at him-though from a vantage point of underlying concern and anxiety about him.

I adore the description of Kaw's memory of Adaon's face after the waypost episode-the "clean pride of an airborne creature"-beautiful! Also, I think the Kaw perspective works very well here. I love the moment where Kaw reflects that sometimes not having the capacity for speech can be useful.

Great details about Caer Dallben, by the way-I agree with CW about the vividness here, and I also join in urging you to keep up the great work on your Prydain stories!
CompanionWanderer chapter 1 . 6/29/2010
Tarsh! I've missed you. Glad to see something of yours up here again. I've always thought this was one of your best.

It's such a neat idea, seeing something from Kaw's perspective. I love how you describe his perception of skies and winds - beautiful prose in that second paragraph in particular - and then contrast that with his somewhat puzzled and amused thoughts about the humans and their interactions. He's remarkably astute, for a bird!

Beautiful details...Taran's dark hair, the ivory slices of bread, the clattering wooden tableware. You really put me in the moment.

I have not given much thought to the aftermath of the events in Black Cauldron, but it makes sense that, once the excitement of the adventure was over, Taran would deal with a lot of guilt and grief over Adaon's death. Totally in character and believable, as is Eilonwy's response to it. And nicely ended, with just that glimpse of hopefulness, and the tying back in with the sky and wind metaphor. It makes you realize why Kaw loves his new family so much.

Welcome back!