Reviews for Relative Misery
Great writing, characterization and voices are on-point. The only issue I take with this is that comparing misery between yourself and others is really not a very healthy coping mechanism. Toph's parents are legitimately abusive, and the fact that Zuko's family is screwed up on a whole other plane should not detract from that. There are times when you need to learn to appreciate what you have, but abuse is abuse, and there are times when you need to act on the interest of your own wellbeing. I don't find that a visit to Ozai and Azula's cells necessitate a change in attitude towards her parents in Toph, just that she ought to have been more sensitive about how, and *whom* she was complaining to.
(On the other hand, Katara's heavy-handed forced reconciliation fantasy made me cringe so hard it's not even funny. I mean, it's not that it's terribly OOC, because I can see her doing that out of good intentions...it just strikes a chord, that's all. There's a good reason you shouldn't pressure your friends on how they should act regarding their family issues. It is their decision. You are not them, you have not experienced what they did, and you do not have that right. Good grief, Katara.)
achillius chapter 1 . 3/31
Aww, Zuko and Toph are my favs. I love all your work. Keep writing!
TheEdifier chapter 1 . 3/15
Ohmygoodness this is hilarious. Love the snarkiness. So funny XD

Thanks for sharing your hard work! Appreciated the laughs
TidePoolDevil chapter 1 . 11/16/2016
And Toph thought she had it bad.
MargotTenser chapter 1 . 8/31/2015
LOL! Yeah. Zuko isn't the best person to run to for sympathy about mean parents. His father is the worst father in the history of fathers...
InsanityIsClarity chapter 1 . 7/17/2015
Well, this was depressing. But nice anyways.
jcampbellohten chapter 1 . 6/3/2015
Present-tense aside, this is so... SO well-written! This prose is beautiful! Reading this has perhaps made my night.
CassandraPaige394 chapter 1 . 10/30/2014
A semi-strange mix of happy and sad that makes me wonder whether it would be okay for me to laugh or not. However, beautifully and eloquently written; The characters are enjoyably portrayed, and I thoroughly liked this short story.
BlatantBookworm chapter 1 . 10/24/2014
That's cute. Zuko definitely wins this one.
Mad Zia Magdalena chapter 1 . 10/7/2014
That was literally heartbreaking. :(
NeverTooMuchInspiration chapter 1 . 2/21/2014
Well, there is little doubt that Zuko would win any kind of commiseration contest that could come up among the canon characters. Not even Aang, stranded in time with his people a distant memory quite has those kind of "bruises." Thank you for writing and posting this!
theAsh0 chapter 1 . 2/20/2013
hehehe. yeah. :) Zuko wins. I dont think its a good thing :p
scorchedtrees chapter 1 . 2/2/2013
I really liked this! I love Toph and Zuko together, and you wrote them really well. I always thought they could talk about their families. The part with Ozai and Azula at the end was really funny and sad all at once.
Guest chapter 1 . 11/29/2012
LOVE. IT. Absolutely love it! That was a brilliant idea, I really like Zuko's attitude in this one: perfectly in character. Toph also was her typical self. Thank you very much for this excellent piece of fiction!
Always-Striving chapter 1 . 11/11/2012
Do you know how ironically funny that last part was? Pure perfection I swear, not much else to say about it.
48 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »