Reviews for Age of Consent
Mell C chapter 1 . 2/22/2015
Poignant story. Thanks.
harkie5 chapter 1 . 10/3/2014
Great story! Thanks for sharing!
Col. Rage-Shadow Dragon Leader chapter 1 . 1/4/2014
So beautiful :3
TwiHard01TeamEdward chapter 1 . 5/5/2013
really long chapter, but very good
Twiolic chapter 1 . 7/15/2011
Great story! I was very anxious about how it would end. No one could say she hadn't thoroughly thought about the pros and cons of her final decision. Whew - you had me worried.
Renee Aubin chapter 1 . 5/26/2011
This is such a great fic! It’s the first thing of yours I’ve read, which means I have a whole new list of promising stories to check out. You probably don’t want a review that’s almost as long as your story, so I will limit myself to telling you my very favorite things about it.

•There are hardly any stories that are this thoroughly thought out, including multi-chapter fics – let alone one-shots. Your Bella and Edward consider every possibility, every fork in the road. I loved how you confronted all the complexities of their choices. We certainly never saw this kind of grownup analysis and clear consideration in the books!

•With neither explicit lemons or tons of emo dialog, you nonetheless convince us of the depth and solidity of their connection. They have made it through more than a decade of challenges that would have sunk a less committed pair. He says things like "Bella, tell me what you're thinking”, and he means it, and she does. Shocking when he eventually admits “I think we made a mistake arranging our life this way." They both learn! Surprising too that she seriously considers whether her continued aging with break them apart: ‘But love changes as people do…’ And per SM’s vampire mythology, they’re the only ones that don’t change.

•I enjoyed your emphasis on how their secrets isolate them from everyone around them. Edward has a century of experience with staying detached, but it’s poignant how Bella craves real connection with the humans around her – and can’t have it. ‘I want to have all these new conversations with my husband at my side, not my 'nephew.'’ And ‘It's ridiculous, and often painful, that we have to lie about something so beautiful.’ Really it’s surprising that they managed to cope for 13 years without damaging their relationship.

•There’s a subtle surprise that Bella is able to successfully complete the bar exam for her new state. I kept having to remind myself that this was an ordinary human, not a century-old, perfect-memory vampire, taking on this challenge. It was admirable, too, that she found work that she could take so seriously, that makes a contribution to the world.

•This made me snicker: ‘Our summer was actually quite peaceful thanks to Alice and Jasper, who had quietly and efficiently dispatched Victoria to the great beyond during the Easter break instead of letting the situation build up to some big, unnecessary production.’ Makes a lot of sense!

•This is a great bargain: more time as a human in exchange for not being badgered to get married a sexual relationship. It never seemed to occur to book Edward that there’s nothing romantic about getting married when one partner has to be bullied into it. Also, I always thought that while it was emotionally appealing, it was irresponsible of the other Cullens to vote that someone barely 18 – who has been sheltered from key aspects of vampire life - should be allowed to make that choice right away. Edward was right that she should wait a few years. Rosalie’s “no” vote might be the only time I ever agreed with her.

•This was unexpected: Charlie stops speaking to Bella when she becomes a defense attorney! (Having a peace officer father, I can really see this happening.) Such an irony that Charlie makes the choice that separates them forever. Great conclusion that ‘Mom left Charlie for a reason.’ Wow, seeing Renee’s side of things – can’t remember any other fic that did that.

•Loved that when Bella was ready she surprised Edward with a wedding, and in Las Vegas rather than the endless wedding planning nonsense of the books (even if Alice was the surrogate Bridezilla). ‘Edward was so happy, it actually hurt—all those years I had denied him such joy…’ Sniffle.

•I appreciated how Bella had enough time to learn that having a mission in life is important – the most luxurious and exciting vacations eventually turn into “nothing to do”. An important lesson before making truly eternal choices.

•‘Without the threat of impending disasters over our heads, Edward is ten shades more laid back and content than he once was.’ Thank goodness! He seems to have gotten over the worst of his control issues – impossible to imagine that as this Bella grows up she would put up with that. Lots of fics give us a more grown up Bella, but your Edward seems to have matured too.

•Your family dynamics were insightful and fun. Especially nice that Bella turned into an adult friend for Esme. Realistic and a little sad that while she still loves Alice, they drift apart a bit as Alice stays frozen in high school. Wonderful discussion with the whole family about where to go from here. Loved this little Alice touch, too: ‘meeting her human sister's Alice-faced great-grandchildren (one of whom was somehow not surprised to see her)…’

•Great conversation with Esme. "But there's one thing I can't bear to lose, Esme, and that's the last thirteen years with Edward." Oh, heartclench! So that’s the bottom line on why she’s hesitating to be changed! And of course Esme points out how self-sacrificing Edward has been, which was a lovely thing to see, but Esme's right, it's time to consider what he wants.

•OMG, the way she springs it on him: "Will you love me when my skin is cold and hard," I say, my own voice shaking, "and my heart doesn't beat anymore?"

•And best of all, I loved that Bella was the one to initiate her own change! That’s sensational on so many levels: taking the burden of guilt off Edward, making her own choice, and somehow tremendously intimate.

Can you tell how much I liked your story?
love bite chapter 1 . 4/8/2011
Beautiful. But, ouch, kind of not the most pleasant way to introduce venom-the tongue is very sensitive!

Lovely writing.
LJ Summers chapter 1 . 3/23/2011
Oh my. Thank you. This is a beautiful story and it's given me goosebumps. I like it, so much. I love how Bella ane Edward come to an early agreement about marriage and how they work up to sex. I like that she doesn't throw a hissy fit about changing, but lives and is HUMAN.

Your depiction of the ups and downs of her aging is carefully handled. In this context, there isn't room for minute examinations, but you show us the social aspects and the personal ones and you do it all so matter-of-factly that I have no sense that no one is agonizing.

When she's talking to Esme...that was so beautiful. The perfect person to talk to, the one who would understand. I loved that. So affirming.

And at the end, Bella's questions are perfect for Edward.

I just ... this is flawless. :)
Djanga chapter 1 . 1/9/2011
Beautiful.
miaokuancha chapter 1 . 12/1/2010
I saw this rec'd on ADF. What a GEM!

Beautiful, balanced, mature, with just the right measure of uncertainty, and willingness to act even with uncertain outcome. Just a wonderful story, wonderfully told!
Changedbyreading chapter 1 . 8/24/2010
You should get paid to write. You have taken characters from a fairy tale and made them into real, complex people. This story actually moved me to tears exactly because Bella took a hard, honest look at her options. I can't wait to read the rest of your Twilight-based work. Wow.
1853kaz chapter 1 . 8/1/2010
Wow, dose of reality. There is life beyond the fairytale, as confusing as it may be. Really great job at building the complexity of the situation, thank you :)
durwood chapter 1 . 6/22/2010
Nice. Esme considering Bella to be a peer was an eye opener. Seeing is believing. This was rich. Thank you.
mariela123 chapter 1 . 6/19/2010
It kind of looked like she tricked her change in the end although he agreed :D

I really liked some of your points. I never get Esmes point. She is still so young that she should need a mother, and the "kids" are not kids anymore! They were changed as teenagers or around 20 years old, but the only "kid" thing about them is their age, since they don't produce hormones anymore and some "kids" have more life experience than her. So while the "kids went around schools, and got degrees and socialize, she was what? Stay at home mom? Doing what all day?

I love how Bella isn't so airhead around Edward. All isn't in roses in life, she has grown up and see the flawes of being a vapire. (I hated how in books the "different/unusal/not vain" Bella spent half the book describing how beautiful Edward is and fell in love with him after two encounters?)

I wish this wasn't a one-shot, but can't wait for your other work.
Viridis73 chapter 1 . 6/18/2010
I truly love that you have written this. It's sort of the flip side of your one-shot. Also, it's a far more indepth look at what emotions, complications, etc. would come from Bella remaining human. I've not found another story written that way.

It's thoughtful and insightful. Excellent work.