Reviews for A Day in the Life of a Gladiator
FelicityQueen23 chapter 1 . 3/11/2014
Please write some more. I really like your story.
Nightshroud chapter 1 . 6/18/2011
Hey, nicely done fic so far. ) I like the journal style, especially because when I played the game I envisioned stuff like this, how the characters would react in battle and after winning and when I'd have to give them the boot. Am I strange for always feeling guilty about it? Lol, they almost set it up that way with, "Master, I've served the school well. Must I really leave?" They wanted to make you feel like an a-hole lol. I should also note that it was cool to see you used quite a few of the gladiators that I picked up. Well anyway, keep up the good work! It's a shame more people don't write for Gladius.
Lord of the Buizels chapter 1 . 6/23/2010
Well, this is a most excellent start to what I am sure is going to be a fantastic series. Valens, Ludo, and Usus all share strong similarities to the in-game counterparts, but we get to see more into their personalities here than in the game. The secondary characters like Laina and Donata are also very interesting and fairly well developed for having little-no basis for their in-game personalities. In total it was well written and I enjoyed it and can't wait for the next one. However, in my opinion, I think there are some things that could be modified. I think you could add more to the journal entries and have more journal entries overall. Day 4 Lampolo was a very short journal entry in which Lampolo stated his dislike for Ludo and Valens. I think that you could have expanded more on why he thought they were incompetent. Mailie has one journal entry and is mentioned only once before her journal. We get almost nothing about her. All we know about her is that she is a channeler, she is not used often, and she's gloomy according to Ludo. You could have had an entry or two from her giving her feelings about being in the school, first her joy and then her descent into depression over not being used in battle and her feeling that the other gladiators are making fun of her. Before the Day 13-Valens entry we hear nothing about Bertha and Furdain who suddenly leave. We never hear from them in a journal entry nor do we hear from someone else that they joined. Georgius didn't have a journal entry at all so we know next to nothing about him. Jehan has some light shed on how he acts by Laina but we don't get to know him. I also think that you advanced through Imperia way too fast. From some of the entries we hear a bit about a few battles and a few places, but we really don't get much sense of the battles and places. You could have more entries from various people giving thoughts on the locations. In Orus we could have someone worrying that the place seems too dangerous of difficult, or that they find it amazing. We could have someone like Ludo complaining about the mongrels and other beasties in Cro Beska compared with another person like Georgius admiring them for creating their own city. We could have more thoughts on the histories of the cities and the gladiator bouts. We could actually have people talking about what the inside of the cities outside of the gladiator ring are like! Is Syrna an elegant place with women weaving beautiful tapestries and sculptors crafting magnificent statues? Or is it a place run by priests? How about the shopkeepers? The insane pyromaniac in Orus to the woman who wants you to kill Priam the Murmillo in Trikata. Does Jehan prefers Swords or Hammers? How do the gladiators feel about eachother? We have some with Ludo and Valens as well as between Laina and Donata, but we don't get much from the others. How does Usus feel about the gladiators the Valens and Ludo let into the school? Does he think that Georgius is a bad warrior and they should have recruited Leentje or Waleryjan? What do all the Gladiators do in their spare time? Do they enjoy watching the Games as well as competing in them? Do any of them have secret skills or talents? There are so many things you could add to this story and the characters. More information on the battles would be interesting. How do they feel as they walk into the Arena? When they defeat the first opponent? Or the Last? Is there any reason why they became a gladiator? Maybe one of them became a gladiator to prove that they were strong, or maybe to defeat a powerful gladiator who killed a loved one. Sorry, I tend to ramble excessively on things or to be too short, but I believe that these things could improve the work. I really enjoyed it and can't wait for the next one! I wonder what will happen in Nordagh, the Windward Steppes, and the Expanse! I do have one question though, do you think that we might also have journal entries from the gladiators who left as well as the ones who stayed? What does Lampolo think of Mutuus and his school? Does Mailie enjoy life at the Channelers' Temple? What happened to Bertha and Furdain after leaving Munio's School? Thanks for reading this! Sorry if it's a bit long! This is my first review so I'm sorry if I seem cold or like a moron who knows little.