Reviews for Shinji Ikari and the Academy of GEHIRN
Zexs chapter 2 . 4/27/2014
Naoko as Rei's mother is all kinds of creepy and Kozo playing the role Dumbledore is going to cause all kinds of trouble. Somehow I'm thinking that Shinji is going to pick up all the emotional and mental damage Harry somehow avoided.
RagnartheSemiGreen chapter 8 . 1/19/2013
Very interesting, and quite amusing, premise! I've had a great deal of fun reading this, so thank you for writing it!
Dessel Ordo chapter 8 . 11/12/2011
A most intriguing story, though I do wish it werent so corpsey. I really like wehre you seem to be going with it. I honestly love it when the Cthulhu mythos and Eva cross, and this story defianately has the potential to continue that awesome tradition.
kaztsar chapter 8 . 10/29/2011
I would have thought that Shinji would have been better suited for Huffenpuff, anyway, just found this story earlier today, and I hope that you continue it.
Judicar Deimos chapter 8 . 8/10/2011
The most intriguing part about this story is its universe* rather than the characters who are somewhat simplistic so far. The introduction of monsters who can mingle among humanity such as ghouls and the occasional shoggoth makes the segregation of wizard society from the "real one" more plausible than the original that destroyed its own aesop about equality between pure wizards and those of mixed ancestry by maintaning a clear separation between wizards and non-magic entities and made the wizards actally dangerously inept at dealing with the rest of the world.

(*It is always astounding to me how such throwaway lines like the one about the Vatican having wizards makes my imagination wander along paths I never believed to be so interesting.)

While the characters up to this point into the story serve their purpose, I feel that Shinji is a little bit too mallelable and quick to adopt his heritage. Especially when considering how socially stunted he must be when he lived on the countryside for almost 16 years and never visited a normal school and thus should have had limited contact with his own age group. At best that would make him simiarly weak-willed to the influences of other people who are coming into his life like in the main series, at worst he would be irrepably damaged to the point of limited functioning within the normal world.

Apropos shoggoths, to combine Lovecraftion touches with that of Terry Pratchett in form of the librarian and a character I am sure to be able to identify as Rincewind makes for an interesting attempt to balance humour and darker themes. To continue this would perhaps prove to be an interesting challenge for an aspiring author.
Gomjibar22 chapter 8 . 7/16/2011
This is a very good story! I hope you continue it!
TheWizardMighty chapter 8 . 5/18/2011
Wow. What a fusion. Well written too!

Extremely interesting, though also extremely under-reviewed.

Here's hoping for more!
Canticles chapter 8 . 11/2/2010
I'm guessing that with the beginning of the school year, you're probably going to update more slowly, that is if you are a student. I'm not going to assume anything, but I really like this story. While most may comment on the HP elements, which I feel is really well done, I personally like the Lovecraftian additions. So, Keel Lorenz is an Old One or at least an emissary? Can't wait for the next chapter.
evilballoon chapter 8 . 9/1/2010
Very awesome, you had me chuckling about Rei and the bagpipes. Please write more. One question in ch8 the line "Prof? As in, Professor? Professor Ikari? Was there a faculty change when I wasn't looking?" is used, did you mean to say Ikari in front of Kensuke and Touji?
TJG1 chapter 8 . 8/21/2010
An interesting fusion.

The mention of the lack of use of magical techniques to make perpetual motion machines is just part of the holes in the Harry Potter story (especially for those who have to face prejudice, one would think they could just leave the "magic world" and become captains of industry and just have the magical engines and devices under casings and so forth and using the concept of "proprietary trade secrets" to not say how they really work). Instead of the heat and cold charms, it could also be simply electrical discharges (static shock to lighting spells) to animation spells to spin the axle/turbine/motor). This could include simple magical batteries to vehicles that do not need fuel.

In some ways the characters between the series have similar illogical failings. Sort of like why did not one question what really happen with Sirius Black given that heheld Harry for time and handed Harry over to Hagrid when if he was a Death Eater then why would he not have simply killed Harry when he supposedly attacked Peter shortly afterwards. The same thing happened this story though at later time. In a similar manner people who supposedly have considerable political and social power just spin around with the information for themselves and not do anything productive with it or even share the information with others to consider and investigate. Also in a similar way, instead of using the fame to help bind everyone together and prepare for a later fight, they just let it rot and shut out those who would have helped.

Another aspect is regarding Rei and Shinji, why did not the powers that be have them undergo thorough medical and magical exams twice per year to make sure that they are healthy and to check that they have no "surprises" and to defuse or eliminate and malignant "surprises". Instead they seem to have left Rei as a prisoner and Shinji as stunted. Instead of leaving Shinji's testing for later, they should have had him thoroughly tested beforehand and when he came to the geo-front if nothing else it would prevent any surprises later. In a similar way, they should require everyone (no exceptions) entering or leaving the Geo-Front to undergo testing (not necessarily all noticeable) with any anomalies noted and treated as necessary. This means anyone with a strange mystical mark associated with evil forces may be required to have the marks removed or have an number of binding wards placed on them. These were also failures in the original Harry Potter story.

Maybe all positions of power should require including one clean muggle and one clean magical raised as a non-magical as the magical ones apparently have suffered insanity with a loss of common sense and need someone who can anchor their decisions to reality. Maybe Shinji would be well served to keep his thoughts private, the full extent of his abilities beyond average secret from those in power, and have a similar belief in keeping secret any action that might be above average (like the Prince in enemy territory). Perhaps with such paranoia, Shinji could eventually check himself and his friends and properties for any abnormalities (whether magical "mutations", "pranks", or others) and how to counter them both proactively and as needed.
Phorcys chapter 8 . 8/20/2010
interesting
NamelessHeretic chapter 8 . 8/19/2010
Rei with bagpipes?

I am most intrigued.
Devil Boss chapter 8 . 8/19/2010
Well finally classes have started. I can't help but pity Shinji, having to witness so much strange stuff and being unable to do anything yet. But what itches me most is how Fuyutsuki and Naoko plan to use him in the future to fight their war. Now that's an interesting arc. I wonder what will Shinji do: he's being used without even knowing it. In his place, I'd be royally pissed when I found out, and probably send them to hell.

Still, great story. I do believe this is the first one of its kind. Good job.

Devil Boss
Fight-of-the-Irish chapter 8 . 8/19/2010
Another great chapter! I can't wait to read more!
Phantom 4 Life chapter 7 . 8/17/2010
Rei and Shinji are adorable together. I hope to see a lot more of that. The fact that Shinji already has armies gathering under his banner is AWESOME! Misato's behavior both worries and annoys me because I love kind Canon!Misato who genuinely cared for the children, even if she did have ulterior motives. Actually, I'm REALLY annoyed by her. Misato is one my favorite characters in FICTION, and her relationship with Shinji is a big part of why I like her so much. But perhaps it is too early to be making any such judgments. Anyways, I would like to congratulate you for making an entertaining story with what is, honestly, a ridiculous premise. Your dialogue varies, but for the most part it is witty and convincing. Admirable sentence flow and I don't recall spotting any spelling or grammar errors, though I can't be sure. Your characterizations, apart from Misato, have me very intrigued. Rei is so Moe it's painful. Ta-ta for now!

-P4L