Reviews for Punch Drunk Love
Tally624 chapter 27 . 2/21
I discovered this story only a week or two ago, and already I've reread it at least a dozen times. Everything is perfect. The pace, the imagery, the character development- holy fuck, you guys. You've created a masterpiece and I am so thankful I found this. Thank you for the countless hours you undoubtedly put into creating this. Although I'm craving an ending, I'm still feeling so satisfied with being tugged into this world you have brought to life. Just... thank you.
Carottal chapter 27 . 10/31/2015
If I manage to review like this, it means I never left a review for this last chapter. So first, I'm sorry about that. I can't believe I didn't review given the love I have for this fic. Now, you may wonder why I'm reviewing now. And thus, I will start the story of what goes on through my mind those days. Hopefully, you'll find it somewhat entertaining. If not, just skim through it directly to the love declarations to this fic.

There's something incredible about websites such as this one. Well, there are many incredible things but right now, only two matters and the second one will come later if I want to keep this text a tiny bit structured. So, as I was saying, there's something incredible about this site. That is, anonymity. We all have fake names, and even if I used my real name, people should first assume it's a fake one. Because if I start going as Adèle Blancsec, which looks like a very legit French name, I'm only using the name of a character in a French comic. The joy of global internet! Anyway, thanks to anonymity and stable fake names, we have a different identity here, one that other people may know. Depending on the kind of person we are, we may completely cross our two identities so they become one, but we could create a different one all together. Or, we can just be the same person, without giving any real information about ourselves. That's how I deal with it. Carottal and the girl behind it overlap. Same gender, same age, same nationality, same values, same tastes, and same personality. But they don't live in the same world, and defining who Carottal is means understanding her vision of fanfictions and writing, her personality, her tastes,... But knowing the girl behind it means knowing all that, plus the friends she has, the things she does, her name, her story... Carottal is not a tangible entity, it's just a virtual being, a part of the mind of a girl who is pretty secretive about her hobbies and don't like to make her different worlds overlap.
All that to say, if you may know who Carottal is, you don't know all that I am. Same as if I know who Leather and Stripes is, well, are, I don't know what you do outside of this website and unless we talk together, I can't even know if you're still around FF. All I know is that you're this great duo whose stories I love.

But let's go back to what led me to review right now, and why you're reading this nonsense right now... After I make sure you notice what a relative word "now is", as the two "right now I'm using in the same sentence don't mean the same moment at all. The first one is already in the past, my past, the second one may remain in an eternal future, if you never come upon this review. Even better, it may refer to more than one moment if you read it more than once, which should be the case as you are two people. And let's not add the bystanders that may decide to read what people said in their review for this story... Poor bystander... So bystander, if you enjoy reading this, maybe having a look at my profile will provide you with fun too. Yeah, I'm shamelessly advertising my profile... And maybe in years, someone will read this, go on my profile, and see an empty page. Though I think it's very unlikely. But that's the other great thing about this site that is needed to understand all that led to this text here. Time doesn't have the same value. In real life, things come and go. Some things are instantaneous, other are lasting. But here, it's mixed. Fanfictions rely a lot on Cliff hangers and making your readers wait. But at the same time, readers come after and may read the whole thing a lot. And they may comment it as if it was published on the same day they read it. And that, is wonderful. And will come handy later on if I ever get to tell you my story!

So, as I was saying before, I don't know how involved you are on this website now. But if you're not actively following it, you may not know that this fandom is getting smaller and smaller. I don't want to say that it is dying, but it sure looks like it. Before, there were multiple updates a day. Now, it seems we're lucky to have 10 updates a week. And you're reading this from someone who reads in different languages. And sadly, the fewer updates doesn't mean the published texts are good. Some are, but others are not great at all.

However, thanks to the way time works here, a dying fandom doesn't mean no more things to read. It just mean less new things to read. So I find myself reading older fics from the golden age of this fandom, when the anime was airing, the manga was getting published, and libraries had the LABB case in their stalls. And I find myself thinking of some moments in fics.
So, two days ago, I thought about the double date. And here I am, reading this fic, even though it's uncomplete, because god, that shit is good!

The fun thing is, I think that when I first read it, I didn't understand some things, or didn't notice them. Reading is a process in which you don't necessarily focus on every word that is written. And when you read in a foreign language, you get used to not necessarily understanding every thing that is happening, or assume things because of the context to fill in the blank. Thankfully, with years of reading fics in English, I got better, understand more, assume less. (I wasn't that bad to begin with, don't get me wrong). So I think it's the first time I understood why Matt was so surprised the first time he saw Mello's torso. But maybe I just forgot about it, really. However, I think I assumed it was the first signs of attraction and didn't say attention to the bullet scars. They surprised me this time. I still saw lingering attraction, of course, but I also understood it was the first clue as to what Mello was. Nice! I also notice you too have the usual problem with dialogues and co authoring but I don't care that much because I freaking love this story!

But here we are, two years later, and I'm reviewing, and I hope you'll continue it one day so we have a real end to the story, see how they'll be able to survive if you plan for them to. I just love this story. I see it in two parts and you just got into the second one. The first one is them getting closer and end when they get to know exactly who the other is, the second just begun and would be more action filled as they get to run away from the past they now know. The first one is very fulfilling in itself so I don't feel cheated on when I get to this last published chapter and don't know what happened yet. But still, I'd love to know. I'd love to know more about what Near is to Mello as he seems to know him. I want to see how they fake Matt's death. I want to see Matt fucking Yotsuba. I want to see how Matsuba lives through Matt's apparent death, and his firm's troubles. Simply put, I want more. More of your story but also of your writing. I've still not lost hope on Vending chocolate... Yeah, I'm a hopeless disillusioned optimist!

So thank you for the story, and thank you for reading my long rant. You guys are great and I hope to read from you again one of those days.
Guest chapter 27 . 11/2/2014
Cough. Well.

Well. Jesus. Excuse me while I go just curl up-shit, I can't even do that; I think I'm frozen with ALL THESE FEELINGS. Anyways.

I was going to go curl up in a ball and try to sort out this wild cacophony of emotions and shit right now, but I don't think I can move. Like. I keep making typos; I can't think properly. Because of this story. Holy shit. Not sure if I want to cry or laugh or both or just grab both of you and never let you go.

BECAUSE YOU ARE SO FUCKING AMAZING. YES. FUCKING AMAZING. AND I LOVE YOU AND YOUR STORY AND THERE IS LITERALLY NOTHING ELSE THAT I CAN THINK OF NOW AND I JUST READ THIS IS ONE SITTING AND HOLY SHIT MY EMOTIONS HAVE JUST CURLED UP AND STARTED DYIIIIIING AND I KNEW READING THIS WAS A BAD CHOICE BECAUSE NOW I'M GOING TO CHECK FOR AN UPDATE EVERY DAY BUT YOU HAVEN'T UPDATED FOR MORE THAN A YEAR AND MY HEART IS BREAKING-OH, GOD, WHY, LEATHER AND STRIPES?

Heh. But your Tumblr says that you're working on a chapter? Please? Please please please please indulge us, your greedy little readers and let us read it and just DIE of all your wonderful, glorious, Matt and Mello feelings?

PLOT TWIST ANYWAYS LET ME FANGIRL ABOUT THIS THAT MELLO WON'T KILL MATT BUT OH MY GOD THE ANGST AND JUST I CAN FEEL MATT'S HEART SHATTERING AND BEING ALL WARPED AND TWISTED AND OH GOD, MY POOR BABY. LET ME LOVE YOU.

(And like holy shit you make me want to just grab Matt and never let him go and hold him and just be like "Shh, baby, shhh, it's gonna be okay. I'm here to watch Doctor Who with you." And as for Mello, well, damn, that is one fine piece of very sexy blond Russian. Like hello, fictional-boyfriend-that-I-totally-ship-with-another-male-character-who-is-my-other-boyfriend?)

Damn. Polygamy. This is what you do to me.
Guest chapter 1 . 8/29/2014
Please dear gods above update. I have been a very large fan of this story for years, check it at least once a month and have told many people about it. The way you both write and your portrayal of the characters is just amazing. It's killing me every time I reach the end that there isn't more just yet. :( I've read it easily six times and it hands down is my favorite MattxMello story!
starkidheather chapter 1 . 8/6/2014
um, hello, yes this is perfection. i knew i really shouldnt have started it, when it wasnt finished and hadnt been updated in a year, but i just couldn't help myself. and now? i'm emotionally attatched and probably too hopeful for my own good. i saw through the author notes that this story has gone through hiatuses before, so i'm gonna keep it in my app library and check up on it now and again. (:

i just really hope this will be updated again soon. this Matt and Mello are just too perfect, completely true to their characters, and the plot is never dull or unrealistic. this story gave me hope again for MattxMello fics.
Akid5 chapter 27 . 7/9/2014
I totally just read this in one sitting. Usually I don't read incomplete stories but the comment section was saying how you made mello and Matt's personalities just like in the anime/manga and i have to agree! This is extremely well written and I really loved this!
Lamperouge93 chapter 27 . 1/29/2014
UUUPPPDAAATTTEEE PLEASE!
regen chapter 27 . 11/9/2013
please make more of this soon. it's an amazing novel esque :)
Kosskille chapter 27 . 10/23/2013
Wow, just finished reading the whole thing.. I really hope you're going to continue writing this!

I guess I can't say anything that everyone else haven't already said but I'm really impressed that you got exactly how I imagine Mello's and Matt's personalities in the manga/anime but put them in an AU. It's not often authors manage to keep it true to the original when they write AU, but how they act and aspects of their life - for instance their family history and what they do for a living, both officially and unofficially ( ;) ) - is completely credibleDD Well done!

Oh and btw, I just waited for Near to show up, I'm glad you found an equally credible place for him in this story, it isn't quite a Matt/Mello fic without Near in it, implicitly or explicitly Also smooth how you found a place for Matsuda - again: what Matt and Mello do for a living in this fic is exactly what I would think they'd do in an AU like this!

Hahahah I'm definitely going to reread the whole thing while I wait for the next chapter, it's been too long since I started reading it and it will be fun to really be able to see all the places you hint to their "real" jobs.

Thanks again for a good read!)
Frozen Meatballs chapter 26 . 9/26/2013
an update! wow thank you verymuch! :DDDD
My Little Gamerboy chapter 27 . 9/7/2013
This is amazing I love this story its just so damn cute ! But at the same time its serious ! You guys are amazing ! I love you too pieces ! (I am going to an anime convention dressed as Matt its going to be fun)
ShinigamiMailJeevas chapter 27 . 8/17/2013
*keeps trying to click the invisible next button* :( i need moreeeeee awesomeness.
QuinnSilver chapter 27 . 8/14/2013
I dont review because I am too lazy, but this story, this is just too good not to, seriously, Im unpatiently waiting for more!
BlooKisses chapter 27 . 8/13/2013
why did it take me 2 days to read this chapter?
S'moresForMooses chapter 27 . 8/13/2013
YAAAY Thank you thank you thank you! I loved this brilliant chapter and all the progress and new information that was revealed. Can't believe you guys updated, I was thrilled to see this update pop up in my email.