Reviews for Love is Not a Victory March
TheKittyRin chapter 1 . 10/13/2010
Wonderful! I just loved how you portrayed Autor's character. In the anime, he has less of an important character and we don't learn too much about him except that he idolizes Fakir for being Drosselmeyer's descendant and loving Rue, but this... it made him feel so real, so right! Wonderful job! :)
Valen96 chapter 1 . 9/18/2010
how cute, lovely and sad T-T please keep writing! ;-)
Thyme In Her Eyes chapter 1 . 8/27/2010
I love this, and you're very right to be proud of it! This is such a great idea (I love it in fics when attention is devoted to the offscreen goings-on and examining the relationships we don't see so much of, particularly in the case of secondary characters like Autor).

You handled Autor's transference of attention and affection from Rue (romantic, idealized, and a bit hopeless) to Duck (platonic, but absolutely real and deep) beautifully, and you framed it perfectly by using the eleven times Autor accompanied the ballet students on piano. It's one of those ideas that's both really creative and intelligent, yet the minute I read your Author's Note, I was amazed that no-one had thought of it before! XD It's so original and fresh, and yet so plausible and heartwarming, and it's exactly the kind of fanfic I'd love to see more of.

This kind of story, about a tentatively-forming fits Duck and Autor wonderfully. Their characters compliment each other beautifully here, they play off each other's personalities so well, and their interactions were by turns amusing, totally believable and IC, insightful, and always well-written. I especially loved how their one common interest at first is Rue, and how gradually and effectively you built the relationship from there, and shifted their focus more and more onto each other as the story progressed (and of course, how well you worked the developing plot into these piano sessions). I also really liked the little cameos with Pique and Lillie!

And I have to note that you have such a great grasp of Autor's character. Everything - every mood, every observation - felt so *right* and it's clear that you know and understand his character very well! You made him so vivid and engaging, and you got him spot-on by presenting both his outward arrogance and his hidden insecurity. You expressed his infatuation with Rue with perfect delicacy and insight, and his relationship with Duck was both endearing and fascinating (probably my favourite part of the sequence was when he and Duck both noticed and were worried by her absence, and how it opens the door to them learning to see each other differently). And of course, Duck was lovely here too - full of fun and friendliness, and sincere care and interest in everyone she meets (as well as the deeper side we discussed earlier). She's so full of warmth here, and it's easy and natural to see how she breaks through Author's coldness and reserve. The friendship they have at the end feels very genuine, and it's fantastic to see a 'fic focusing on that sort of relationship, and celebrating non-romantic love, and showing how strong and deep it can be. That's so refreshing.

Just to give a bit of (hopefully helpful) criticism, there were points when I felt Duck's relationship with Autor edged a bit too close to her relationship with Fakir (although the ultimate aim of this relationship is clearly platonic throughout), in terms of their banter and his sometimes-awkward and aloof friendliness. Also, at some points I think they were a bit too close, to the extent that Duck wouldn't have been so aggressive and distrustful towards him when he first confronts Fakir. But really, these two points feel like nit-picks at best.

Other than that, this story is great. Everything else about this story is fantastic, and perfectly IC. And the ending was wonderful - in a single, simple sentence, you said and summed-up so much, and expressed so much affection. Great touch.

I really enjoyed reading this - definitely one of the best (and most original) Autor-fics I've ever read. This was lovely and human, and full of great insights. You should definitely be pleased with what you did here!
Crystal Rose of Pollux chapter 1 . 6/29/2010
Ooh, I love the arrangement of this fic into little connecting scenes; it works very well.

I think it's interesting how the relationship between Ahiru and Autor is cold at first. And his "hmph" reminded me of a certain cat-owning lady who lives near some loud detectives, LOL.

Him asking about Rue was interesting, especially her reply. I loved the mention of how his opinion of her increased after that.

The whole scene in the rain was cute, as is the piano scene.

Aww, and the ironic echo at the end was a great way to bring it full circle.
xxFireWarriorxx chapter 1 . 6/28/2010
Ahh, you DESERVE to be proud of this. :D Flawless perfection (even if that phrase is verbose XD). :D

I loved every single one of these drabbles. It does tie some loose ends, and I think you were really able to bring out Autor and Ahiru's personalities. And I love how in each drabble, you progressed from it mainly about Rue to Ahiru, manipulating the structure and syntax so that you show how Autor's feelings change rather than just saying it.

Anyways, I'm blabbering on. XD Long story short, gorgeous piece of fiction. Awesome work! And totally faving. ;)
NortheasternWind chapter 1 . 6/27/2010
LOL, Ahiru and Autor would meet with Ahiru falling into him. Though I wonder how Autor dancing would look? And ahaha, Autor's affection for Rue is so cute.

N'aw, the third one, with Autor and Ahiru's shared concern for Rue's absence... And Autor's opinion of her intelligence going up. Hurray!

Aw, man, it /would/ suck if you had to provide the music your crush would be dancing to with a partner that isn't you. Eep. But I kinda LOL'd at how his train of thought switched to Fakir X3

...Memorization is the only way I can play... XD; But aww, so nice for Autor to stay and play for Ahiru so she can practice! There's no denying it by then; they're friends now. Even if Autor doesn't think so.

I loved his remark about Ahiru liking ducks. LOLOLOL. And the remark at the end of the tenth one, about not having thought about Rue very much! And the ending was perfect, with a call-back to the beginning. LOL. Clumsy Ahiru... I liked the whole thing very much
CSKazaam chapter 1 . 6/21/2010
I really like these! I think the series of twelve drabbles is such an awesome idea. X3

I think my favorite part is when Ahiru runs into Autor at the beginning, and then again at the end, and the contrast between the two scenes. I didn't expect the last one, and it was definitely the perfect ending!

I like how their friendship progresses in short steps from one scene to the next, and how each one becomes a little window onto what's going on in the entire story from Autor's point of view. **really liked how he was upset by the way Rue looked at Ahiru.**

Aww, Autor walking Ahiru home under the umbrella was cute, and I loved when he stayed to play during her detention! X3

LOL Ahiru thinking Autor's name meant he liked to write. XD **and snickers at his retort.**

I like really the ninth scene too, when Ahiru snaps at Autor because he has no idea what's been happening. ;_; It definitely illustrates all the stress she's under!

Awesome fic. X3
My Solitude chapter 1 . 6/21/2010
This is quite a nice story. I really like it.
James Birdsong chapter 1 . 6/19/2010
Very cool
Lady Amberjo chapter 1 . 6/19/2010
I don't know that I'm into this fandom enough to leave a very in-depth review, but I'll try. XD;;

I've only watched the series once through, but the story didn't feel terribly canon-rapey by any stretch. The third, fourth, and twelfth ones were my favorites. I really liked your characterization for Ahiru...and "irritating blonde" pretty much sums up Lilie's onscreen presence (I tried to like her, I really did). I haven't read the follow-up...script...thingy yet, so I don't know how much of Autor's backstory is canon (canon-ish?), but what you've written seems a good explanation for his lurker-tendencies in the series.

I also really liked the post-oak interaction...I was wondering how you'd work with that, and I liked what you did with it. Oh, and the line about asking Ahiru if she liked ducks made me smile. XD
Moon Shadow Magic chapter 1 . 6/18/2010
I liked these! (even if I feel a few places might be bending canon... but it wouldn't be fanfic if we agreed on everything.) Anyway, yes, of course Duck meets him by falling on him. And Autor even trying to explain his initiation of Fakir would be sooo awkward. AS usual, good characterization throughout, I feel, especially having read those other stories.