Reviews for Ashes through an Hourglass
-Ugh. If this was the first step towards "vegan" vampirism then I was already disgusted with myself.-

I laughed so much at that part.
S chapter 8 . 11/4/2015
So I know youre probably not going to finish this and I understand. Real life comes first. But I was wondering if you would post maybe an outline or tell us what ends up happening cause I'm dying over here, wondering for the last couple years what happens with Alec and Bree.
Guest chapter 8 . 10/27/2015
I really don't know how to feel... Poor Bree... POOR TAXI DRIVER... Man, I really liked that guy.

Alec, you're so creepy... I can't wait to see your character development... and the change in your relationship with Jane... Ooh and Aro's thoughts.

Alec's perspective on the kiss is a want too... Man, this is so odd.
renata regina chapter 8 . 9/13/2015
Wow, Alec is a little creepy. Sending Fred to Volterra to get rid of the competition, planning on getting Chelsea to brainwash Bree, PUTTING BREE IN A SUITCASE... but, hey. I kind of like it :) Can't wait to see what happens next
BarbarafromGR chapter 8 . 5/17/2015
Is Bree waking up in the next chapter?
Fredrick Bismarck chapter 7 . 12/18/2014
I went back to this chapter to do a bit more analysis. Sure, he wants her to think for herself, but kidnapping her and forcing her to talk with him and using Fred and Chelsea are the opposite, and that is hypocritical. So Chelsea does have the same power of loyalty but corin took over the efficiency and cooperation part. To keep her loyal herself, corin isn't there to administer the addictive contentment drug ability to Chelsea. But I do like the personality you came up for her, striving for harmony and justice.
Fredrick Bismarck chapter 8 . 12/18/2014
I like the venom analogy to vampire mating. It's inevitable but slower, creeping, not instantaneous, like shifter imprinting, but immortal and permanent, one of the few large changes they can undergo as static creatures. As for the drivers advice, yes, he should help her broaden her horizon, but the way he's going about does not give her a choice. And he might need to broaden his own as well. Surely he can veiw humans as more than animals as he once was one. Things of rational thought no matter how inferior to his own.
Fredrick Bismarck chapter 6 . 12/18/2014
The conversation with alice was brilliant. I like the mention of other shape shifters and how their culture and affinity for certain animals affected their forms. Also, Alec does have a point about Bree being affected by her fear of disappointing the Cullens in her diet but she does have some compassion for average humans such as Karen. But she might have otherwise taken up killing criminals if she was presented with all the information and without the need to make the Cullens happy. But still there is nothing wrong with family and true emotional attachment that Alec scoffs at. And the Cullen have the right of it to an extent and should be pressuring Bree to a degree as well. Human life should be valued not completely disregard. Alec is in the right mind set with full acceptance but family should have a guiding hand. It's all a matter of degree and its a grey area. Also, the point about the Cullens hypocrisy. Doesn't mean they don't care about humanity. There's only so much they an do when confronted with an overwhelming threat and must think of family first and what they could do. It's matter of ethics - unreasonable burden and removal from the situation and inability to control all outcomes. They also believed in the system of governance to take care of it, the Volturi, even with the corruption in its ranks, which sure, needs some changes and the Cullens should participate to do so. Jane didn't move for awhile and had alternative motives, malicious at that. He justifies janes actions but by waiting it made it worse than anything the Cullens have done directly. Lastly, strangely morbid way to end this chapter. Wow. That was long winded. Just me internalizing. I. Don't know if it makes any sense.
Fredrick Bismarck chapter 5 . 12/18/2014
It was interesting to see how other vampires veiw the Cullens' lifestyle from their own mouths. But Alec does lack an understanding or appreciation for family and emotional bonds. The taunting with seth was great.
Fredrick Bismarck chapter 4 . 12/18/2014
Still nice to see Alec's perspective but his means to spending time with Bree leave much to be desired. He's somewhat delusional in his beliefs in how to treat other people.

I always assumed they're was some playfulness to the Volturi gaurd, but your portrayal knocks down some of that dark evil organization vibe, especially Santiago. Then again the trial in the first chapter...

You mention Chelsea. What is her ability if corin takes over the efficiency and cooperation? How would she know if Fred had bad intentions? Does it still have to do with binding loyalty? As for Fred, yeah he could really do some serious damage to the Volturi if he was inclined.
Fredrick Bismarck chapter 2 . 12/18/2014
I guess corin's ability is different. Her original with the addictive drug like effect was key in keeping Chelsea and the Volturi wives content. But here it seems she has taken over Chelsea's role for efficiency and cooperation. And Santiago new technological role is need as well. It does make sense that the Volturi need an agents with some sort of gift like this to remove human threats that can't be delt with with violence. Your making it harder to see them as evil like in canon with out these underhanded aspects of their organization. They seem to genuinely want to uphold law so far. I always did wonder if alec could prevent the pain of transformation. Though your control reason for Alec's gift is interesting and well done and goes with your expanded personality for him, I believe it was explained by canon to be their mind sets while burning at the stake. He wanted the pain and senses to stop while Jain wanted to hurt her tormentors. I know they are much younger in the books but didn't you make them 16 in T(NS)SSLoBT? Need to check again. Also, it was interesting how you explained the age psychology stays with them when they are turned. I guess that makes some sense with the immortal children being prime examples. Lastly, corin's speculations about Alec and his gift may have some merit. Maybe deep down he's different and not just about control and helplessness. Great work but changes to some small detail, but they work.
Fredrick Bismarck chapter 1 . 12/18/2014
This is definitely creepy in a subtle kind of way with the complete lack of compassion while destroying other vampires and total devotion to the righteousness of it all. And did Jane just suggest incest? I think it was creative to show the day to day workings of the Volturi with a trial and sentencing.
Shawna chapter 2 . 11/9/2014
Another great chapter. I love reading in Alec's pov and I can't wait to read in Bree's! I do hope that there will be more of Alec, though, too. Since there are so little fics about him. Keep up the good work.
Shawna chapter 1 . 11/9/2014
Great first chapter. I loved it! You kept me hooked from the very first sentence! Keep up the good work!
Guest chapter 8 . 7/13/2014
I'm still hoping you're going to update this story and The (Not So) Short Second Life Of Bree Tanner. Please update! These 2 are one of my favorite stories