Reviews for An Ultimate Hey Arnold! Essay
Ajay435 chapter 1 . 4/20/2018
This is really spectacular; it really is a complete and detailed series overview as far as Arnold and Helga are concerned! It really is Hey Arnold! in a nutshell, minus the supporting cast.

The first parts could easily teach the uninitiated all they need to know to appreciate the complexity and depth of the series, and our main characters, and your knowledge of the show really shines through. The later parts give a splendidly clear insight into the actual and hinted-at relationship between the two, and you justify your thoughts and opinions on their potential future very well.

I actually took great pleasure in reading this post-TJM, with so many old questions now answered and new questions raised. I'm sure you've got plenty of new thoughts on the series' potential future, so I hope we'll get to hear them!
Nikki Pond chapter 1 . 6/22/2016
I read this and I have to say that I totally agree with it. Completely canon, even Arnold's reactions to Helga. Your essay gave me a solid view of the characters, and weirdly, even though I wasn't a fan of the show or even watch it that much (and I still haven' seen a single episode for the past decade), but I could easily accept that's what they are truly like and very canon. I love it.
Inudaughter Returns chapter 1 . 5/25/2016
Wow, I like the essay. It's cool that you're into that.
starfiction123 chapter 1 . 4/30/2016
Perfect explanation of not only the show's history and intent and the in depth examination on the characters and why we love them and the bonds included but also because I find we have more and more in common with why we love this show! This like second favorite essay, to Helga in love.
DetectiveMinerva chapter 1 . 3/21/2015
Holy mama llama! You said a mouthful, but it's a delicious mouthful. Arnold and Helga are indeed meant to be together, and you picked out every single detail that explains why (complete with research, which I love and respect the heck out of). It's also a great essay because it highlights the psychological aspects that we might not have seen as children during the 90s - such as Miriam being an alcoholic, for one thing. I always wondered why she was so tired all the time and always falling asleep behind the sofa, and when I learned that she was supposed to be a drinker, everything suddenly made sense. I also love that you mentioned "Helga On the Couch" - which is also my favorite episode! It surprised me the first time I saw it, because prior to that, I never liked Helga very much. The episode made me see her in a whole new light, and I felt so sorry for her because she had such an awful family life at home. From then on out, I began to like her as a character, and I still like her to this day. Heck, my brother even likes her after all this time! She's his favorite! You've written a masterpiece here, and you should be very proud of yourself. My little blue hat's off to you!
MADStar529 chapter 1 . 10/25/2013
Great essay! Loved it!
sildarmillion chapter 1 . 8/18/2013
Really enjoyed this! Learned a lot about Hey Arnold! Had no idea that it originated as a claymation short. And definitely didn't know anything about the Jungle Movie. I did watch the Saves the Neighborhood movie, although honestly I never thought it was much memorable.

I really liked reading your analysis of Helga. I totally agree that she is the most complex character in the show and I remember that I always enjoyed the episodes involving the Patakis. I completely missed the allusions to her mom being an alcoholic (well, I was very young when I watched the show). Reading your analysis makes me reassess the show and realize that it really did deal with very mature issues. And not just in reference to the Patakis. Although I definitely remember the Patakis the most. I remember Olga fascinated me. She was well-meaning and good-hearted yet she was completely self-absorbed and oblivious when it came to her little sister and she had no idea. So I definitely appreciated your analysis of Olga. You get to realize that Helga is so much more mature than Olga in several of the episodes, but the one I especially remember is the one in which Olga gets engaged to get married. Another episode that I remember very well is one you mentioned in this essay - the one in which Miriam takes charge over Bob's company. Anyways, it's too bad that we don't get the Patakis own TV show because I would have definitely watched that. (I only watched two episodes of Daria, and I didn't really like it. I can sympathize with Daria of course for being surrounded by shallow people, but I thought she was a bit too conceited about it. Anyways, getting distracted here.)

Being away from Arnold would be really good for Helga because like you said, she needs to grow into her own person which is not defined by Arnold. Even if her feelings from Arnold are genuine, they stem from the emptiness she feels because of her family. What she really needs is to find a way to really deal with these issues on her own, so that her feelings for Arnold are just for the sake of who he is as a person and not out of her need to escape from her emptiness. I was never a hard-core Arnold x Helga shipper, but I didn't really ship any in the show all that much and I can definitely support the AxH ship if it can develop into a healthy relationship.

Whoo, I went off on a rant here. Sometimes, I can't help it!
kittykaittt chapter 1 . 12/10/2012
WOW, this is long! But I really enjoyed it, even though I already knew everything in the first part.
StrangerWays chapter 1 . 9/12/2012
You should write another essay going over tge casts background! Cause this essay was just bliss and factual!

Everything you have said made sense but one thing you could have added to the flirting list was that Arnold was in fact attracted to Helga in "Helga's nanny"

Helga's at a locker talking to Phoebe about her nanny in an European traditional attire with her hair in flowers. Arnold does a double take of Helga and says "Wow Helga you've got flowers in your hair" he has his bright smile on and his tone of voice is suggestive. Helga remarks something rude and Arnold replies "I just thought it was nice" or something on the lines of that.

But still amazing right?! Lol

You know it says Libra and Aries have a deadly attraction. Saw it the other day on twitter, it said the two horoscopes bring out the worst and best of each other. Lol

I loved the essay!

Though if you decide to add more to it I'd suggest the above facts I wrote and their bestfriends Gerald and Phoebe and if the two realize Helga and Arnold's feelings toward each other.

You could also reflect on Phoebe and Geralds behavior. Phoebe has a wild edge outside her timid and reserved mind. Three episode explain that "cart race" "hall monitor" and "wheezin ed"
LovelyToMeetYou chapter 1 . 7/3/2012
This was simply amazing. This is by far the best essay I've read of this series and I'm proud to say I've read every single word of it twice! I love how you portray the show and characters with actual facts before dwelling with opinions and of how you can easily list examples that happened in episodes, giving even more impact to your essay.

This was truly brilliant and it will always be a favorite.
IAmAubrie chapter 1 . 8/28/2011
Ah, I love this essay D Is it strange that I almost got teary-eyed in your introduction? Reading that the show is cancelled and the future ideas will never come about such as The Patakis and The Jungle Movie drive me absolutely mad. But still, reading about my favorite characters gives me so much hope. The fact that they are so complicated as cartoon characters fill me with joy. No other cartoon characters have so much spirit in them, especially Helga. And the fact that Arnold and Helga go so well together and you even proved it by backing yourself up give me insanely good chills! I suppose it makes every girl wish they had an Arnold in their life. Though sometimes I'd like to give Arnold a piece of my mind when his denseness (is that a word?) emerges. Even though this is my second time reading this essay, it still gives me refreshing ideas about the show as well as inspiration for more stories. I love how you put your own spin on your essay, such as your opinions on how Arnold and Helga's future should unfold. I especially love that little part in "Arnold loves Helga?" about how in the episode "The Flood", Arnold shows that he cares about Helga by yelling "NO!" after she slips out the window. I always thought I was the only one who noticed that, but I'm glad that you pointed it out for everyone who doubt the Arnold and Helga relastionship. After all, it's the little things that Arnold does that we should take notice of because he is such a dense little booger. The little things is what he probably doesn't even realise he's doing, but still prove his affections towards Helga. I also love Craig's little quote nearest the end of your essay. They really are meant to be. Sadly Viacom thinks the couple are too good for television right now (that's what I'd like to believe anyway. Why else would such a perfect show be put to rest?). I guess that doesn't stop us obsessed beings from writing ] Keep up the splendid work! Your essays are my favorite!
TisforTwee chapter 1 . 7/8/2011
This is so fantastically done! Very enlightening and intriguing. Its nice to know that I'm not the only one obsessing over this show again after 10 years. It seems like were the same age as well. I was thinking about doing my own psychological analysis of Arnold and Helga since I graduated with a degree in psychology, and this was very fascinating. I think it would be a fantastic senior thesis for a psychology major. It would be interesting to explore all the relationships in Hey Arnold with a main focus on Arnold and Helga Obv. I can't tell you enough how great this is that you did this, and it's so composed.

I really wish they would make more episodes and release TJM ugh!

I don't know if you noticed, but in The Flood episode not only did he say "No!" when Helga falls in, but then he becomes a lot more adamant and serious by saying "pull them in guys NOW," and the look on his face just SHOWS how much he cares about her.

This was also expressed in the episode Helga vs. Patty in a different kind of way by the way he defends her, and the way he looks at Patty before she lets him know he didn't actually beat her up. He looked soooo hurt. I mean yeah one could say that Arnold would do that for anyone, but I honestly think this situation was different because he genuinely does care about her a lot.

The Flood is also a good episode to show that Arnold and Helga can work together very well, like when Arnold was encouraging Helga while she was trying to throw the flag/rope to Mr. Simmons. There is sooo much to analyse in this show, and I could go on forever. I'm sure you could too. This was great! Thanks for posting this.
knk4891 chapter 1 . 5/31/2011
This is so well-written, and you did a great job of backing up everything you said. I am also a huge Arnold/Helga fan, and your essay made me like them even more. Terrific job!
DannySamLover20 chapter 1 . 3/28/2011
nice! love it!
xPinkamenaPiex chapter 1 . 12/29/2010
Wow, so well written! You did a great job, explaining this I didn't even know about Hey Arnold, and trust me Im an obsessed fan! You so need to become some sort of writer or reporter. I really wish in the episode "girl trouble" Arnold would have found out his Grandma was like Helga, I don't think he did If I remember right.