Reviews for Footsteps
Rose and Psyche chapter 1 . 8/13/2011
These was always something about Taran Wanderer that was so wild and untamed, something that called me in spite of myself. I think you've managed to catch that feeling here. Taran changed so much at Craddoc's. Here is no boy, but a man.

Rose
redrose7856 chapter 1 . 10/6/2010
Wow. I've never even read this series and I love this fic. It's great! What book series is this from? didn't the author also write the Black Cauldron?

God Bless!

Rose

(PS: sorry to keep bugging u, but ur PM is disabled again)
Belfast Docks chapter 1 . 9/20/2010
A heart-wretching look into Taran's soul during a crucial time frame of the fourth book. Loved reading it! Your writing is beautiful. )
adaon45 chapter 1 . 7/19/2010
Oh my, such a delight to find such a beautiful story in this section. I am certain that Lloyd Alexander himself would approve your poetic use of language. The description of the gray hills, the log burning to ash in the fire-so evocative, so redolent of Alexander's own sparely eloquent style.

Yes, as CompanionWanderer says, you SO capture Taran-the anguish yet the sense of obligation, of duty, of honor. You love him and want to shake him at the same time.

I love the iron will part-you're so right. They are both very stubborn men, no?

And may I thank you for properly appreciating Taran Wanderer. The older I get (and I am getting quite a bit older than I was when I first read these stories!) the more I am in awe of what Alexander did with this book. It's groundbreaking-the stress on psychological growth and realism, the painful, and unconventional, search for identity. Here the magic and battles pale besides the hero's wrenching, and unidealized, self-discovery. The Craddoc episode is amazing both for the flaws and inner strength it uncovers in Taran.

Please write more Prydain stories if you feel so minded. I am thrilled to have discovered this.
CompanionWanderer chapter 1 . 6/29/2010
Very lovely. It's so nice to see something new in this section, and of such high quality.

You hooked me on the first sentence. "Hills so ancient they no longer mean harm or good to any man" - oh, brilliance, what a marvelously evocative description. I can SEE them, grey and massive and withdrawn.

The bleak scene of the two men in the evenings is so heartbreaking and so believable. Poor Craddoc. You can't help but feel compassion for him, even in the midst of anger over his deception. He's so very human.

"Blue so fragile you could reach out and tap it...shatter like glass" - mmmm. That is painfully beautiful. I want to frame it and hang it on the wall.

And Taran - oh, dear, lovely Taran, you have captured him to a T in the last few paragraphs - his determination, his loyalty, his sense of honor and obligation, his strong will. Makes me fall in love with him all over again.

Excellent fic, and welcome to you. Do give us more if you are so inspired.
Eavis chapter 1 . 6/21/2010
The part about the fire reminding him of Eilonwy was so rich, I love it.

And the bit with Taran trying to understand why he wouldn't love his 'father' when he was all a father should be. Ah, Taran.

Well done.

Lion's Blessing,

Eavis
Taryn Streambattle chapter 1 . 6/20/2010
Wow! Glad you let this into the sunlight! Amazing job, matey! I loved the last bit about the will of Iron!