Reviews for Inkblots
draylon chapter 1 . 3/25/2013
What a terrific story! You captured the uniquely nihilistic / jaundiced / slightly florid tone of the journal entries perfectly, which I don't think is an easy thing to do. The changes in POV from journal, to written dialogue, to 3rd person narration were very effective, rounding out the story and giving lots of welcome extra detail. I particluarly enjoyed the 'early years' snapshots and Captain Carnage's ("a paricular revolting class of sexual pervert") cameo. The description of events in Antarctica was another high-point, and lost none of its awful impact in spite of already being familiar from the book / film. In short the whole thing's a super piece of writing, beautifully executed and really impressive.
Wandering the Arid Sea chapter 1 . 10/17/2010
a masterpiece.
Samu chapter 1 . 7/24/2010
Very nice job capturing different snippets of Rorschach's life. You built it up nicely and the ending is still as sad as it was in the movie.
JJ Rust chapter 1 . 6/27/2010
Very good. You did an excellent job getting into Rorschach's head. I also loved the history you draw up for him, the incident with his mother, his fight with the other kid at the orphanage. Nice twist using fabric from Kitty Genovese's dress to create Rorschach's mask. I love it when author's blend history and fiction. Rorschach's voice was spot on. I could clearly hear that gravely, ominous tone in my head.

One typo I caught: "can not" should be "cannot."

Keep up the good work.
Hekateras chapter 1 . 6/25/2010
Amazing take, amazing mastery of Rorschach's voice. A masterpiece.
Battosailover5 chapter 1 . 6/24/2010
that was very accurate. Must have taken alot to disect all of that, then put it back together with your own viewpoint attached.
BitterEloquence chapter 1 . 6/23/2010
Okay, there is something truly wrong with this site when all kinds of terrible fanfic is praised by mindless patting on back but *this* hasn't gotten a single review yet? This is just...words escape me. It wasn't so much the situation as the perfection of your Rorschach's voice that got to me. It was like Moore was writing the words and the brutal observations Rorschach makes of the city and those around him. For me, the most potent line was Rorschach ruminating on how he doesn't 'know how to tell a baby still bloody from the womb that it will die.' That was a very powerful analogy and I really liked it along with the usage of descriptors like 'pasty flesh' and the plethora of other Rorschach-isms you worked into it until the reader sees the world from his stark and uncompromising viewpoint. The only major error I spotted was your timeline of using Kitty Genovese's murder since she died two years after returning the dress in a snit. And on that...I LOVED Rorschach's saying he never met her, all he saw was her 'childish handwriting' and how it sloped to the right. That's the kind of minutiae one expects Rorschach to pick up on and props to you for such a brilliant tribute to one of the most powerful characters in all of fiction. I am totally pimping this out to every Watchman fan I know, let me tell you!