Reviews for South Side of the Sky
yurimylove chapter 1 . 12/19/2011
After reading this story, Chou'un's awesome has just DOUBLED in my eye! And it's not just because of her "strange, women-loving ways" XD I thought I respected her for *dreaming* about saving others despite her own peril, but here you've extrapolated that desire into an *actual act* of self-sacrifice. Great story, I love it! That's the mark of a truly creative writer when a 30-second gag scene can inspire such a moving tale of friendship and camaraderie. I think this would've been the perfect episode 8.5, or maybe a bonus DVD episode - down to that last passionate kiss with Kan'u of course

Bachou is another character captured well here. One of the many characters I really like from Koihime - there are so many likeable charaters in that series. Hot tempered, but quite a ditz at the same time. I'd never forget that one scene where she whacks Tanpopo's head saying "I know you're hiding inside Rinrin's basket right now" - priceless! At the same time, she's a very honorable warrior so it totally makes sense that she would risk her own life to carry Sei with her down the mountain. Abandoning a friend is simply not in her blood.

"poor, innocent Bachou while she slept like a horse", knowing the author's penchant for subtle referential humor, I can't help but suspect that pun is very much *intended* in this sentence, seeing as the "Ba" in Bachou means horse in Japanese...

"especially since anyone with half a brain knew that it was her under the mask." if you take that statement and apply logical deduction to it, you'd invariably come to the (correct) conclusion that, poor Ryuubi has less than half a brian left XD
shanejayell chapter 1 . 8/7/2011
WOW.

*grin*

Love this fic. Just love it. And you pretty much nailed Sei and Bachou for me. Great work!
Major Mike Powell III chapter 1 . 6/12/2011
Well, well, soldier...

This was very interesting.

I totally went LOL at that episode in "Otome Tairan". Sei and her menma egg soup.

O at Bachou saving Chou'un, and the unconscious Kan'uxChou'un moment was very sweet! *O*

Then...

LOL

LMAO

ROFL

Bachou as Kachou Kamen? O.o Really?

ROFLOL

Well, it sure did the trick for Chou'un, so 's all good. :3

And then, the ending. :DD That smooch was VERY nice! :DD

Nice work, marine!

Semper-Fi! Carry on!
22671991 chapter 1 . 10/12/2010
Never change, Sei. Never change.
ninemil chapter 1 . 7/25/2010
It’s amazing how a good author can take a, at best, mediocre series, and without altering the formula in any way, shape or form, still somehow make the end product of his efforts infinitely better than anything featured in the original source material ;) If only the rest of Kohime was this good, I might not find myself struggling with it so much o_0

If I’m to be honest, this short brought back fond memories of several distant Star Trek episodes where a, perhaps previously hinted at pairing, found their survival challenged in such a way that they finally had to break their physical isolation long enough to give into their buried emotions via clumsy impulsiveness. With Sei present in the cave, I must admit my initial thoughts let the pair down that path pretty quickly. Again, by simply turning your attentions to the series in the way you do with anything you write, you’ve improved it tenfold, as I’m sure the original authors might have had Sei rape Sui regardless of the hinted interactions between the blue-haired aloof and she-who-possesses-the-ultimately-soft-tuft-of-glory, Aisha. Instead, you use her death or glory rashness as a mechanic to cement those hints in an entirely different manner, one much better constructed that anything in the series. You even give Kachou Kamen a point in doing so

But enough of my series derision. You really have done a good job here. The characters are solid, authentic and distinct within the narrative. The pacing is perfect, making the cave situation tense and tangible, without sliding into the realms of tiresome, and the interactions between Sei and Aisha in the aftermath are telling, without being cheesy. I found Sui’s somewhat detached consideration of Sei’s actions particularly enjoyable, given the endless reams of hand-waving chibi theatrics we’re treated to in the series. I could certainly go for more of this if you were to pen it, put it that way. It was also refreshing to read an full instalment that didn’t involve any fighting too…

Not much more to say other than that. Apologies for the hostility toward the source. Although it’s entertaining in a light hearted way, it screams of too much unrealised potential that even this short piece here makes all too abundantly clear. Put frankly, it’s just a shame you aren’t on the Koihime staff. They could learn shitloads from working with you.

Moar perhaps? I’d love to see how you handle Rinrin given your realisation of the Lulim girls in Panic.
Laura25 chapter 1 . 6/27/2010
Best. Story. Ever. What will it take for you to write another KM-verse fic? There are like 3 stories; this genre is basically an extinct-in-the-wild species! Heck, I don't care if you never write anymore of this, I am going to subscribe to you and favorite this!
KajimeShiru chapter 1 . 6/24/2010
Well, I absolutely have no idea who these two are but I did throughly enjoy reading their short adventure. LOL wonders what Menma egg soup tastes like!
World of Dragons Productions chapter 1 . 6/23/2010
Ah, my old friend... ish, it's been a long while, hasn't it? Well, I was hoping to see more of our girls at Astrea Hill, it's nice to meet Bachou (and I'd have to look up which three kingdoms warrior she represents).

Now, I'll need to be honest, this came up while I'm having a case of writer's block so I couldn't get into it much and to my shame I even skimmed through some of it _.

Now, Chou'un (I'm so tempted to call her Zhao Yun) didn't seem much like herself based on what I've seen in your last Koihime story, but it was interesting to see a more serious side of her though it wasn't actually shown until near the end.

Oh and it was amusing to see the dementia take its toll on her mind, even going as far as to believe her alternate persona was saving her ass.

But the one who truly shined in my eyes was Bachou, who despite everything remained resourceful and persistent and thanks to her, the two of them manage to get out of that little problem alive.

All-and-all, it was nice read, and if this writer's block would let up, I would've enjoyed it more. Now that I think about it, it'd be interesting to see Hazuki's interactions with these women, like she's telling Chikaru and Tamao about it and the whole thing is presented in flashbacks. Just a thought.

As always, if you keep writing, I'll keep reading.

Peace.