Reviews for Devil Survivor: Benighted
Fal chapter 1 . 2/28
Hi im a fan from devil survivor game and your Fanfiction is awesome the way u describe their feelings is just right :D it makes me cry when i read it :'( i wish they hv more romantic time together haha tyvm for write this fanfiction!
Undying Soul98 chapter 1 . 12/28/2014
This is an excellent fic. There should be more Devil Survivor stories out there, so I am glad there is this small gem. It was well written and had good characterisation and dealt with the consequences of the Demon Lord ending in a sad but lovely way that I loved to read. Shame Shujinkou probably died, but there is the small hope that he won't. Still a wonderfully written piece.
jclark775 chapter 1 . 7/14/2014
This story is absolutely amazing! It is a beautiful story that was written amazingly. Just everything that is happening in the story and how you portrayed the characters was just perfect, to me. It was all believable for the characters. I honestly wish I would've seen this sooner, like back when you first posted it, but I'm happy to have found this piece. I was completely captivated by this piece. This was honestly one of the best pieces that I've read, and I hope that you keep writing stories. Good job and thank you for writing this.
Cyberchao X chapter 1 . 7/4/2014
Oh god that was so beautiful. It's really true, you know: Abel becomes more of a Messiah in Naoya's 8th Day (at least in the version where he refuses to kill humans) than he does in Amane's. After all, sacrificing oneself for the sake of humanity...is that not what Jesus did? The reasoning is the same, too-humanity had sinned, and to save them, Abel becomes a demon lord.
J.S.H.N.Girl chapter 1 . 4/18/2014
You know, I cried and-and...I still am, you gave me inspiration for my new fic, thank you.
It'll be up in a week, 2 at most.
I want to know what you think, and hopefully, if it could use more tweaking, you would say it nicely.
Vegeta the 3rd chapter 1 . 4/6/2013
You know, I read this story ages ago but never got a chance to review it. It was a innovative read around the time the first Devil Survivor came out, and this works as a cool sort of post epilogue to happen. I sort of forgot about this until you reviewed a story of mine and I found out you wrote this. So, here's a long overdue review on what I still believe to be a great one shot.

Yuzu goes through a lot in this short story. She could have rationalized into waiting for the hour to come, especially after she left. But in hope of defying the prediction again, she goes to join his group (if only in discretion) and finds herself in over her head pretty quickly. And it only gets worse because as shown with interacting the inactive one-demon-summoners, she's a coward. Or rather, a normal (albeit busty) high school girl.

She was also always the one thinking about surviving, in the case of just running away instead of fighting heaven and hell. There was an ending with her convincing the hero to leave, which basically pissed God off. Here, you took a route between Yuzu leaving and the path where he follows Naoya for support (as you mentioned in your notes).

Her paranoia and conflicting emotions really stuck out. Everyone sort of let loose into fighting demons during a lockdown, but through the whole thing she was, again, a high school girl. The thoughts she has going on running or bowing to King of Bel seem rather contrived in my opinion, but I suppose that's because I didn't honestly believe Shunjinkou's very aura could cause someone to go insane unless they're strong willed. Amane managed to hold off at first, and Yuzu almost lost herself right away. And that's not to mention the man before them being another follower.

The ending was nice though. Not like happy nice, but a clever point to drop out. We don't know if he'll defy the Laplace Mail again, or if God/YHVH will actually kill him. Yuzu represented the view point of a normal person thrown into the fray, and when given the choice, she left to try and preserve that normality. Even when she witnessed the defying of impossibility alongside the hero, such as killing the Wendigo that was very much predetermined to kill them, she was rational and fearful that everyday might be their last.

So, she doesn't see the final battle, nor does she have the means to join up and fight with them. Not that the MC would even allow her to. Her fleeing might have made him secure that she would be safe away from the fighting and would have no reason to hold back in carnage. So, we don't know for SURE if he wins or not, but the fact that the King of Bel is certain they will win, and the penultimate line is that "she believed him". And it wasn't just the King of Bel charisma/fear showing either. It was the friend she loves dearly saying that. Or at least, that's one way of looking at it.

Not much else to say about this but a job well done, and I hope to read more of your stories.

-Vegeta the 3rd
Arawn D. Draven chapter 1 . 1/21/2013
Very good story! It's too bad there aren't any more about Devil Survivor, but if it's what it takes to have stories like this, then it's worth the little number!
GoodytwoshoesMan chapter 1 . 5/29/2012
So beautiful!

So... Did Abel win? The death clock and the program can be changed...T.T

I am just stunned at how intricately and beautifully you wrote this... Amazing!

I finished both naoya and amane's path, and personally, I liked the demonic overlord version better

Great job!
theluckyshipper chapter 1 . 4/19/2012
Before:

Lord/King of Pandemonium- Nurarihyon, Rikuo Nura

Now:

Lord/King of Pandemonium- MC from Devil Survivor.

OMG. THIS IS SO AWESOME.
dongaro chapter 1 . 4/4/2012
Nice story. I'm irked about where it ended but at the same tiem content. It leaves the ending open and i want more but at the same tiem I don't think any more would have made the story better. It ended at a good place with a lot of feeling.

Veryenjoyable and I hope to read more from you about the wonderful and dark world that is Devil Survivor.

Truelly Devil Survivors world is summed up by "Let's Survive"
superecho chapter 1 . 3/31/2012
Perfect. Just perfect.

A perfect continuation of King of Demons route.

You portrayed Yuzu so perfectly in this.

Her fear, her sadness, her tears.

Her lead role added with everyone's complexes...

Made this story a masterpiece.

I love it how you keep every aspects of the game intact, COMs, skill cracks, even mention of YHVH from SMT II.

The parents' situation is also a nice bonus, especially Atsuro's.

I was surprised on how you portray Mari, though.

But yeah, it's still tuning me in.

The climax part when Yuzu want to escape from Shujinkou is my favorite.

The hellish atmosphere of a demon king's presence is described neatly to the small details. Awesome.

I hope there are more Devil Survivor stories, especially if it's as good as this one.

Thank you for the great story!
King of Everything chapter 1 . 1/12/2012
Now THIS is a good Devil Survivor story. Probably my favorite SMT game for just the story elements, and I have always preffered the chaos routes in these games, because quite frankly that is what my own morals tell me is right. So sue me, I consider the Overlord of Bel ending to be the "Good" ending (especially in Overclocked when you take the good version of Naoya's route). Peace without freedom is a false peace, and life without the possibility of making bad choices eliminates the virtue of the good choices.

As for this fic in particular, it clearly is based on the original game, ignoring the Overclocked 8th day, where Yuzu comes back to the Hero before the end, but that is fine. I like your version of the events just as well. Yuzu is written fantastically, and I can actually feel her pain myself as I read this. I personally don't agree with your depiction of how becoming the King of Bel affects the Hero, but given what the intent of the story was, it certainly did make everything all the more impacting.

A person doesn't cry without feeling something though, and that was the most powerful moment in the whole fic, and you knew that some part of him, a human part of him, buried deep down inside, was awakened, perhaps just for a moment. But I'd like to think that this was just the start of the reserfacing of his humanity. He'll never 'not' be the King of Bel again, but if he still remembers who he is, and if he still is willing to give everything of himself for humanity, then the boy must still be a part of him. Perhaps a part that he had been cut off from when the most important person in his life left him, but clearly not a part that is dead.

Perhaps one day that part of him can be revived, and he can be both Lord Abel, the Overlord, and the boy who loves Yuzu.
The Genius Mage chapter 1 . 9/11/2011
Now *that's* a fanfiction! What a great story. I love the detail you went into here, it's positively breathtaking. Fantastic work! Really!
Prinny Dude chapter 1 . 8/13/2011
You know, after beating the game on Naoya's route, I actually spent a fair bit of time wondering how Yuzu would react to the war. We see a brief clip of her at the end, but that wasn't nearly enough to please my curiousity.

However, now I'm satisfied. This is simply amazing. Yuzu's exactly as she is in the game,and all of this is just...so believable! It's precisely the kind of story I was hoping to find for Devil Survivor!

You have a way with words, and your ideas are intriguing. Lord Abel has an aura that -demands- submission even when he's doing his best to restrain his power? Brilliant! I loved it! And having Atsuro's mother call was surprisingly full of impact; it's too often overlooked that the characters DO have (supposedly) living parents.

Of course, the scene with the most impact was when Shujinkou cried. That was simply, for lack of a better word, epic.

In fact, the only thing I even had a slight problem with is Atsuro's personality. He just seems too...fine with it, I suppose. He looked devastated at the end of the Chaos Route, I was expecting him to be a little more upset. But... Atsuro doesn't really get a lot of time in the fic, and it's made clear in the game that he hides most of his worries from Yuzu, so I suppose it's justified. xD

Anyway, to sum it up: I loved this fic! My favorite Devil Survivor story thus far! Thank you for posting it!
Taimo chapter 1 . 7/4/2011
Why doesn't this story have more reviews ? It is because there isn't a lot of Shin Megami Tensei : Devil Survivor stories ? I think his name makes sense in this, really. Everything was well written espicially Yusu's reactions to Shujinko's moves. It's true that lots of people keeps running away from problems, it's just easier that way. I LOVE THIS ! I hope there will be a next Chapter. By the way, you're good at describing battles. I would like to see an epic battle.