Reviews for Unlucky
Paradise'sCity chapter 49 . 6/26/2011
I really like your story, it was a great idea about the point of veiw and to hears everybodys thoughts awesome job

i wonder if the blood bath will be over already ten people dead
Obiwanlivesforever chapter 27 . 6/19/2011
Okay, I see what happened now, with the fic title. What did it used to be called?

You have Latvians reading your story? *Stares in envy* Sorry, I'm obsessed with Latvia now. Three guesses why, Journey ;)

"Of course, District 3 has yet to bring home a victory, so I don't have a mentor."

That's so unfair. Poor kids with no one to mentor them. The Captiol should at least provide them with a trainer of some sort!

I'm a big fan of the backstory here. Very clever explanation for Kalis' skill with throwing darts! I have to admire her uncle for taking responsibility for her safety and providing her with a way to fight, though I do wonder why I don't see his actions as being wrong whereas I do think the Career districts are immoral for training their tributes beforehand. I guess it's the Careers' sadism, and the fact that they volunteer for glory and all that.

One thing that's especially saddening to read is how so many of these characters have expressed some sort of "I swear I will win," sentiments, and how they will all be wrong...
Obiwanlivesforever chapter 26 . 6/19/2011
Yeah! *Cheers for Tierra and Valer* I admire the sense of honor these two have. Good for them, not joining the pack. Finally, someone in these Games doing what is right rather than what is easy. *Continues to misquote Dumbledore*

Tierra is right. Laughing about murder is not funny. Nor is choosing who will be "the easiest kill." I like how, even though she's willing to take lives, she still adheres to certain standards. There's something really dynamic about that sort of character; I like the blend of harshness and a bit of softness that makes Tierra interesting to read about.

And, um, Valer? I wouldn't be so quick to pen the 11s down as hopeless. Both of them outlive you, after all.
Obiwanlivesforever chapter 25 . 6/19/2011
"Unlucky" doesn't sound stupid to me; it ties right in with the title of "Lucky Lady," and with these Games being the 13th. Or did this have a different title before and then you changed it?

No idea why his last name is Butler...

Good to see the 11s again! It's interesting to see this scene from their perspective, knowing they're going to betray her, and at the same time sympathizing with them because you know that's the only way they can get support from their mentor. Gaahhh the whole idea of the Games is so messed up and unfair. It makes even good people do bad things (wow, Captain Obvious much?)

The part with him thinking of his family was especially tragic. It's so cruel, how he wants to reassure them, and how he's trying to justify himself because that's just human nature to not want to accept yourself doing bad thing.

I wish all these people could win... ;_;
Obiwanlivesforever chapter 24 . 6/19/2011
Hahahaha, nothing like a little bit of romance to spice up things at the Training Center. Alypso reminds me a little bit of Natalya, being a "love-struck psycho," and all. I know, I know, I said I'd quit talking about Horrible, I'm shutting up now...

There goes one more tribute I won't be able to hate again while reading Lucky Lady. I thought Odyss was just a creep, but when you throw things like a little sister into the mix, you see how all of these people had someone waiting for them, someone they didn't want to make suffer. And then, even if they were only fighting for themselves, it's not like you can blame them entirely either. I wonder what'll make him snap, though, or if he was just deliberately being psycho to Circe because he liked it?
Obiwanlivesforever chapter 23 . 6/19/2011
D: Esen, poor girl, come here! *Hugs protectively* WHYYYYY? WHY JOURNEY WHY MUST YOU KEEP INVENTING NEW WAYS TO RIP MY HEART OUT? I feel so bad for all these tributes, even though they were just cannon fodder in Unlucky! Here, everyone has a story; no one is faceless; and that just makes it all the worse.

I could emphasize so much with poor Esen. I know what it would be like, poor baby. That would be me if I were in the Games. Willing to try, but ultimately without a chance. Nah, scratch that, I'd be too scared to try. But anyway...

The parts with the rapier were fun to read, since I've done some fencing so I could envision what it was like. Particularly the part about how it's helpful to break down the swordplay into movements and analyzing them. I always tried to do that, but either I'd freeze and now know what to do, or everything would be moving so fast that I'd act on instinct. And was I the only one to get the feeling that the instructor let her score a hit? She certainly hadn't been sparring long enough to be that good, or even to rely on it as a dependable skill in the arena. It was realistic, though, that you had her be all "If I find a rapier, I can win!" because of course she's scared and she's going to cling to whatever little skill she might have, even if it's not much, and block out all thoughts of what else might happen. Her realizing that she really didn't have a chance was a really nice, albiet heartwrenching, touch, especially with her thoughts that she wouldn't be able to "Chase the really cute boy I've always liked," in death. I like the juxtaposition there, her thinking about such a casual, youthful activity in the face of her oncoming doom.

And I caught how you tied this in to Lucky Lady. She's the one Twig was talking about scaring when they were eating!

One thing I just realized, though - if tributes aren't allowed to fight each other in Training, how on earth did Igris and Fronce mange to have their rapier fight? Man, I've got to stop referencing those stories in reviews that have nothing to do with them ...
Obiwanlivesforever chapter 22 . 6/19/2011
Awwwwww :( I like this guy. We never really think much of the Capitol people who are just trying to help. And I can see his side of it, even though I still think what he's doing is wrong. Just ... impossible decisions all around.
Obiwanlivesforever chapter 21 . 6/19/2011
Ugh, Capitol witches again. I might add, ever since skimming that latest oneshot you posted (skimming, not actually reading, mind you) I have been overcome with a fury directed at any stereotypical Capitol woman. After what that *borrows a word from Phemus' vocabulary* tried to do to Raivis ... *shudders with barely contained rage* And this lady isn't much better.

"Because I'd really love to be a part of the Hunger Games. I think it's the best thing since wing grafting."

And I think you're the worst thing since cyan vines.

"It looks like they've been starving themselves for some reason.

See, kids? Anorexia doesn't help your looks at all."

*Abandons all restraint and lunges at her*

The costumes for D3 sounded AMAZING, by the way. They're my favorite district and they always seem like the underdogs, so it's nice to hear that they actually got a good year in the parade for once. As for D5 ... yuck. No one should have to wear that.

Oh, and I think her last name could be pronounced "D-ob-een," maybe. That sounds about right :)
Obiwanlivesforever chapter 20 . 6/19/2011
:) Ah, a moment of happiness. So brief in the world of the Games, yet so precious at the same time. I'm glad Glaucus and Pich were able to enjoy themselves, though the costumes sound terrible, and I was creeped out too by the description of her stylist's voice.

Interesting, about them being a 'couple' in their younger years ... and extra sad, too, knowing how it ends for them. ;_;
Obiwanlivesforever chapter 19 . 6/19/2011
Oh, WOW. This chapter really pulled a punch. There was so much emotion woven into every line of it, from beginning to end. The symmetry was beautiful, how Tora likened her own mutilation to what may (will) happen to Circe. I love the sympathy she felt for her tribute, and her outlook on the Games, not condoning the murder but enjoying the celebration of the Districts' children. It was so sweet and refreshing to see a Capitol person who doesn't entirely approve or disapprove, but nevertheless has a kindhearted viewpoint. If only she could talk; she would be such a comfort to the poor kids!

I have read this one before so I knew the backstory about becoming an Avox, but I still must say, I LOVE it. It's so creative and exactly what the Capitol would do - punish first, ask questions later. I also liked how you mentioned there was a rally against the Hunger Games. So early on in their creation, it's quite possible to imagine that some Capitolians would be willing to fight against the idea. It gives a spark of hope. And then, we realize how many years of needless, pointless bloodshed there still are to come ... ;_;
Obiwanlivesforever chapter 18 . 6/19/2011
Aaaah it's Sept! Sept! I was trying to remember what Phemus' last name was for, like, 3 days, and I thought it was Nast for some reason, and then it hit me the instant I clicked on this link. Sept!

Anyway, I just realized I. LOVE. THIS. GUY. Well, scratch that. I don't really like him. I just think he's hilarious and strangely awesome, in a way. Tributes always seem to just grit their teeth and go with whatever the stylists do to them, so to see one lash out like that was refreshing and fun, even if he did pay for it. And I love how it was messing with the eye patch that made him snap. Characters like this are just so entertaining. Even with all the swearing.

Oh, and how his mom made him the eyepatch from her scarf? That reminded me of how Ukraine made Russia's scarf, and he got really mad when Switz ripped a hole in it with his arrow.
Obiwanlivesforever chapter 17 . 6/19/2011
Happy birthday to you,

From a fan of Thew,

Happy birthday dear Journey,

Now here's your review!

Ahahahaha ... heh ... so little effort. *Coughs* Anyway, hopefully a bunch of reviews will make up for it.

Ione ... why must every tribute's story make me want to barge in there and rescue them myself? I already like her and I don't eve know her yet. She just seems very, I don't know, gentle, and unassuming. I like that in characters, for some reason. And of course I can sympathize with her, poor girl, having so little chance in the Games. That really calls out to me. And not only that, but a nerve problem to boot! First Eudocia with her ashmta (I probably spelt that wrong), then Chara with her bad knees, and now this ... WAAAAA COME HERE ALL YE HOPELESS TRIBUTES *hugs forever*

Ooh, I love seeing your perspectives on what all the different districts do. I remembered D5 was oil from Dead or Alive, of course, and D6 because I think Tiee was dressed up as a doctor or something at the chariot parade in Brutal, but I couldn't remember 9. It all fits together very well, though. And district 9 might be giving 11 and 12 a run for their money as "Worst Place in all of Panem." *Barely refrains from taking a dig at Vahn*
Obiwanlivesforever chapter 16 . 5/29/2011
Ugh, I can sympathize with you, Bilt. Kyta sounds more and more annoying with every sentence. The careers that bug me the most are the ones who view their competitors, even their comrades, as 'weaklings' and are just so darn sure that nobody can beat them. Especially if they try to intimidate other tributes.

Weird thing, though, I imagine these two looking exactly like Alf and Vivi. Except Kyta is taller and more muscular than Vivi, but just by a bit.

The concept of a victor who doesn't speak since they win their Games is quite interesting. Ah crud. I may have copied this idea subconsciously into my story. I hate hate hate HATE it when that happens! I'll have an idea, think I thought it up myself, and then figure out it was actually from something else. Well, I'll be off to check my story planning notes, then, and see if I can change anything.
Obiwanlivesforever chapter 15 . 5/29/2011
And now we see the reason behind Oakley's attempted backstabbing. It all makes such perfect, horrible sense now. The lines here are so blurred, it's hard to know who to sympathize with and who to condemn anymore. Before, I felt that Oakley was a slimy traitor who deserved what she got. But now, seeing that she only did it because she had no other way to gain her mentor's approval ... it makes the entire thing all the more tragic. And no matter how you look at it, it boils down to the fact that the Capitol are always the true villains. They're ones behind every character's suffering and every cruel action that occurs.

I also have to blame their mentor. Yes, they're hopeless, but that's still no excuse for not teaching them! And now you've doomed them both to be traitors! I do wonder, though ... Oakley killed Chara, yes? So maybe she was her one kill, and she wouldn't have killed Circe at all? Because she could have been planning to, hence her lying about Maddox's death, but then saw Chara and decided to kill her instead? But she'd have to kill Circe anyways if she wanted to win ... Hmm, I just don't know!
Obiwanlivesforever chapter 14 . 5/29/2011
Kiss, huh? Well, there are some odd names in Panem, but that one probably takes the cake.

I find it so unfair that some districts have only one victor, or none at all, at this point in time. Like district 12 won't have anyone to train them. I mean, they should at least have a Capitol mentor or something. Poor kids have no chance! (Which is ironic because, yes, I do remember who wins.)

Anyway, the part with the needlessly elaborate shower was funny and so true of the Capitol, and I liked the part about the soap opera with "wailing girls." My favorite part of all was when he heard Tierra crying. I always love to see characters with hard exteriors reveal hidden depths or kindness inside (like Lovi and Igris!) I also like how he dismissed the idea because all he'd seen of her was her mask of toughness. Very fitting.