Reviews for Reckoning
Classic Blaze chapter 10 . 2/15/2012
Shen is awesome, he did what I wanted to do since the very beggining.

Glad to see that justice is served, because the guilty must pay the price.
Classic Blaze chapter 9 . 2/15/2012
I love this fic, even if it has broken my heart several times, it was

so...dramatic, this piece of art is totally worth the wait.
Classic Blaze chapter 2 . 1/6/2012
Its great to see this amazing fic updated. Im going to read it all over again till I get to the new chapter, and I must say, this one had an badass ending.
Janizary chapter 10 . 11/17/2011
Holy surprise update, Batman!

Clint Eastwood'esque quarian on a 'burn them all' mission.

I like the retrospection from Shen's PoV.
SpiritOfSherwood chapter 9 . 10/28/2011
I just read all of that. In one go.

This . . . this is beyond fucked up. Genius, brilliant, perfectly written in every way but still. I haven't encountered fiction this dark outside of Warhammer 40k. I was suprised that Xen didn't start screaming "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!" in a Khorne Berserker type way. Give her a chainaxe and she'd be claiming Skulls for the Skull Throne in no time. I'm faving this but I doubt I'll be getting much in the way of sleep. What she did to Kiron and Tidanya . . . just fucked up. I was hoping for Alliance Marines to burst in but it seems we Humans will be forever tainted in the eyes of Xen. I'm definitely giving her a wide berth on Tali's Loyalty from now on. What was once vague creepiness and an uhealthy interest in Legion is now full blown psychopathic blood rage the likes of which Khorne would take notice of.

The Spirit
LyricalHeist chapter 9 . 6/26/2011
I shall not lie; I am not a big fan of tragedies.

Don't get me wrong - I can still appreciate them in all forms. I can witness in awe as the darkest moments of a sapient species become revealed in every minute detail, almost obsessive in how the author crafts the morbid atmosphere, or how a character can be built up only to be broken down utterly - a true vicissitude spanding the very small sampling of Daro's life.

I'm just one for happier pastures.

That said, I can't help but marvel at how adept you are at deconstructing Daro's character in your own unique way. Though sometimes overly dramatic, each repulsive moment is contrasted with one of poignance and hope. I am not sure if this was intentional (I do not want to come across as doubting your ability at all!), but the developing relationship between Daro and Kyta was a beautiful moment of need which is also reflected in real life: strippers will often grow close with one another as they become disenfranchised with men, disgusted with the thought of ever having a relationship with the same gender that stuffs wads into the lining of their g-strings just for the chance to see bare tits and receive lap dances.

I can already foresee a tragic fall, but maybe I'm wrong. Daro's character is almost Shakespearean, reminding me very much of MacBeth. A good but perhaps strongheaded character ultimately falling because of their desires. I just cannot see Daro's ultimate wish, no matter how delusional, ever becoming true.

Ultimately, an astonishingly dark but well written story thus far.

As a side note, I will endeavour to continue if you write another chapter... but as I've said, tragedies don't sit well with me.
Chalio chapter 9 . 4/2/2011
I found this on the tali forums...read it all...damn...its good...but its dark...its fucked up...and it most certainly explains daro's current mental state...i hope the story isn't over...but all in all this is absolutely amazing
Janizary chapter 9 . 2/21/2011
And here I had the idea that the prior chapter was going to be the last.

I usually end up sitting on your chapter updates for a few days (or weeks) as I have to steel myself in order to read them. The sheer magnitude of despair, anguish, and sadism (interwoven with an excellent story itself) is not something I can dive into without a virtual wetsuit. Didn't wait today, however. Just dove right in.

Great work, as usual. Daro's introspection on the Quarian rights of passage are both disturbing, and, perhaps, quite justified.
Silent Archangel chapter 9 . 2/21/2011
After reading and processing the entire story, I am ready to deliver my review and response.

I am extremely disappointed that you killed Kyta. But I suppose it adds to the tragedy and solemnity of this story.

Starting from Chapter 5, I needed a moment to muster all of my strength to click on the button that would direct me to the next chapter. In short, this story is pretty fucked up. But in contrast of the overall darkness of most of the story, a light.

You gave your characters hope, love, support. And then you ripped it away from them, again and again.

I was very pleased at Daro's revenge, I wanted to see those people suffer. If I were you, I'd stretch out their deaths a little more, make the bastards suffer more. Show no mercy.

They deserve none.

(ahem) Well, the story was... not quite entertaining, but a mix of disgust and heartbreak. I noticed that you have not marked this story 'complete.' Which means I will be expecting more.

-K.4.
Zegi chapter 9 . 2/21/2011
Im happy to see your still writing Lividity, even though the qvuarion community is just a shell of what it once was.

No how can a story of this quality have so little reviewers?

Probably cause people want to read stuff that make them happy, not sad by tragedy...
Bugsie70 chapter 8 . 1/15/2011
Okay, its taken me a little while to piece this review together, as I realised when I started re-reading it that I had only read to Chapter 4, and the subsequent chapters took a while for me to digest.

In the first few chapters, through Daro’s pilgrimage, you perfectly encapsulate the suffering of the quarian people. Your descriptions of Caleston and Daro having to deal with the everyday prejudice were evocative and quite emotionally wrenching.

The constant hammering on her self-esteem would certainly send a weaker personality running back to the fleet, but Daro, the outcast amongst outcasts, is obviously made of stronger stuff and you have portrayed this well.

Although never having been an addict myself, your descriptions of Jason’s withdrawal were very visceral. It did make me feel like I was standing over him, feeling that impulse of compassion for someone afflicted and writhing in torments of the withdrawal. The fact Daro was there, willing to help him and give up all made his later betrayal of her all the more sickening.

Chapters 4 and onwards had a whole different feel to the first 4, It’s almost as if two separate personalities wrote them, and perhaps this was needed considering the content. I won’t pretend that this was an easy read for me, because it wasn’t. Sex slavery is such a revolting aspect of humanity that you have translated that feeling I have towards it very well. I dislike the glossing over of slavery aspects in general in the ME universe but you have succeeded in making a stark, bleak portrayal, it feels so real in this universe. My personal revulsion aside, I did persist with the story and inside I found a love story, between two people caught up in this world, both unrelentingly grim and fascinating in equal measure.

I found myself looking away after reading your descriptions of what was happening, and yet I was drawn back to Daro’s affection and care of Kyta.

The only thing that I can fault so far in your story is some minor grammar and spelling, but not that noticeable over the quality of the general piece. The only one thing that grated with me was slight overuse of the phrase “proud daughter of the fleet”. But a minor thing in the general scheme.

I am truly fascinated to see how you link this to current day ME storylines and will be looking keenly to see your story evolve. You induced in me a number of very strong emotions, a sign of a bloody good read. Very good work, Mr Jones.
Janizary chapter 8 . 12/21/2010
It took me a month to screw up the courage to actually click the chapter update in my email inbox.

You must have the bastard blood of Clive Barker running in your cold-hearted veins. I both admire and loath you equally. (Well, not so much, but perhaps a little loathing...) I am humbled. I am appalled. I am amazed. I am horrified. I am enthralled.

Bravo, LJ, bravo.
Troodon80 chapter 8 . 11/27/2010
Very well thought out. Very well written.

Everything has been brilliant so far. Enjoyed each and every chapter.

I honestly thought I'd be reading this chapter, fully expecting tragedy by the end. I was pleasantly surprised.

Keep up the good work. You never cease to keep the reader guessing.
tetris566 chapter 8 . 11/24/2010
I like the positive turn of events. Now, if only we can keep it that way.
Secret Writter chapter 8 . 11/22/2010
Ah, the boundaries of love and loss once again come into conflict. Do wel, author, for the farther you enter into the depths of Daro's mind, the more you have to understand her well-being. By now, you have morphed her into your own, and maybe even Bioware's true Daro. Though the actual characters past remains a mystery, this will will do more than suffice.

On the plea of a fan, do not kill of Kyta. as i would have it believe, she has become a fan favorite. In the case that you do however, i will have a broken heart at the depressing and moody turn of events. It is your story and you will do as you see fit with it, but know that in the cases of fans who are deeply intrigued and swayed by this story, their hearts will fill with sorrow at the end, though i am sure that that was done with her supposed death in chapter 7

Again, i hope for her to live and, if not branch out a relationship, fear Daro slightly for her brutality in the matter of a rescue, but then again, who wouldn't go to such brutal lengths to retrieve a loved one? Her death along the way to the Migrant Fleet at her current health will be possible, but as i said, i hope it does not come to that.

Great fic, great story, great development and great characters.

Good job and i wish you well.
53 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »