Reviews for Thinking It Through
BlackShadow65 chapter 1 . 4/4/2012
Love it!
perchance to wake chapter 1 . 12/13/2011
I really liked it! A shockingly fair and even-handed response to the fight in Theatricality. I say shocking, not as a reflection on you, but simply because most people tend to take a very extreme side of that dispute, and make Finn out to be a horribly violent homophobe, or Kurt to be a stalker/potential rapist. So ... yeah. I don't think Finn should ever use the word 'fag'. I think he was a little bit homophobic, thought not in a malicious way. An ignorant way. And Kurt took his crush too far. It got weird xD Poor Kurt.

And I am so very fond of brotherly Furt, so I like where this ended :D

~K
IShipItAllAndThenSome chapter 1 . 11/26/2011
Nicely done.
Tigrislupa chapter 1 . 9/29/2011
I...wow. That was just...really well written. You just captured, like, all the complexity that would be Kurt's thought process. The emotions portrayed are just...well I can't say they're wonderful, but they're shown wonderfully.

I also very much liked the way that you used the quotations, and that this was a reflection piece rather than as it was happening. That these would be the phrases that would be resonating in Kurt's mind.

Brilliant handling of a highly complex series of thoughts. Completely in character, in my opinion.
Smoothie1000 chapter 1 . 5/24/2011
Second person narrator worked really well here, which honestly surprises me, since it's usually the author trying to be clever. But this really sounded like Kurt kind of talking to himself, trying to look at the situation from other people's point of view. I like how you built the story around those lines from the actual scene - again, a really interesting narrative device. This is a very, very serious side of Kurt that I think does justice to the character's POV but is fair to Burt and Finn, too.
NotMuchImagination chapter 1 . 5/16/2011
A great missing scene. I could easily see Kurt sitting there after his dad's big blow up, trying to sort through what just happened.

And yes, Adam Lambert would be AWESOME on this show!
rijane chapter 1 . 4/9/2011
For starters, I'm on board with the premise of the story. I think Glee later recognized (in season two) that Kurt had some measure of culpability for the situation (though not Finn's reaction), but at the time Finn was quite the black hat and little to no attention was paid to Kurt's behaviors.

Second person really works for this story, feels very stream of consciousness. These sorts of stories are desperately what Glee needs, to help even out the characters and sort out their decisions and actions. It's very well-written and has a fantastic grasp on Kurt's voice - and there are some fantastic moments in there as well.

Because crying will turn your skin red and blotchy, which is just not a look you can rock at all. And crying is 'faggy.'

Love the dichotomy of this line - from Kurt's vanity vs his deeper issues, very Kurt

No, it was more like losing solo after solo to Ms. Anything-You-Can-Sing-I-Can-Sing-Better.

Heh. Great line - and I'd love to see Rachel and Kurt get into an Annie Get Your Gun sing off!

But now Dad's in love. And Carole, she's positively adorable in love.

Isn't she, though? I've loved her from the Finn driving flashback and Glee needs more scenes with her and Burt.

You think of her nearly every day, in fact, and miss her terribly, even on the days when you don't think about her.

That's a wonderfully insightful line there. I want to steal it :)

And he will always put his gay son – no, forget the 'gay' part. He will always put his son first.

Yes, yes, yes! I think that's what I love most abourt the Burt/Kurt relationship. While it deals with issues of sexuality and acceptance, at the end of the day, it's really just about a father and a son who love each other the best way they know how.

Be honest, what is there here for Finn to like? The whole room reflects your creative muse

Oh good lord, yes. That always bothered me during the ep - that for all Kurt was creating the "perfect" room, it was only his perfect room.

But Finn was just a baby, and has only these two sad things – a faded photo and those creepy ashes – to remember his dad by.

Well, crap, I just cried for Finn a little.
Shadowstar556 chapter 1 . 4/2/2011
Sorry for the late review, I have to read and review on my phone and it's hard; the stories seem 3x bigger! ~

I love how you have the lines (in bold) from the show. Also, having Kurt acknowledge that he did do things to trigger what Finn said.

Your style is great and the words you write are very emotional. Great story, I'm off to read all of your other stories!
Gunther123 chapter 1 . 1/28/2011
i know i say this alot, but you totally nailed it!
Mytay chapter 1 . 12/14/2010
First of all, this is awesome, and secondly, I have to single out this line right from the get-go:

"But still you have these feelings. They exist independent of whether Finn will ever reciprocate them. And they aren't going away, not receding in the face of painful reality." THIS. That's EXACTLY what I was thinking when Kurt said that he had accepted that Finn was straight - reality means nothing in the face of emotion, and love (even flighty adolescent love) does not listen to reason. Everyone who was coming down hard on Kurt for his behaviour was expecting him to behave like an adult: but he was a teenage boy in love, and so, yes, he was in the wrong, but he was trying to deal with it the only way he knew how. And the actual ADULTS in this instance, screwed up royally in putting him in that position.

And seriously, I can't think of a single thing to critique about this one. Again, I fail. Perhaps the only thing I can think of is to say that it sounded a little overly mature for Kurt - but you addressed that in your author's note, and I understand. Kurt is a lovable mix of maturity and pure teenage naivete and ego, so this fic may not be far off.

I very much enjoyed his thoughts about his father - about realizing that playing the victim was pointless, because in relation to his father, he wasn't - his father makes every effort to show Kurt that he loves him, and Kurt knows it. It may have stung to have his father relate so easily to Finn, but that he chooses Kurt over Finn pretty much settles that.

And all that being said, this broke my heart to read, because I can easily imagine Kurt sitting there, after his father left, and just thinking these thoughts while holding back the tears. And it is perfectly teen angst in its tone - speaking from experience. I had similar thought processes when I was a teenager, not so long ago - and reading this makes me a little nostalgic . . . and so damn grateful I grew out of it. Gah, I was an overdramatic little twat.

"Hope is the thing that mocks you while you're dangling off the cliff's edge, struggling to get a toe-hold, and then cuts the rope." You know, that particular poem by Emily Dickinson is one of my favs - I've had it memorized since I was a teen, and had eerily similar thoughts to Kurt's in some of my darker, angstier moments. *sigh* Oh adolescence, how I do not miss you.

So, to end this ramble, I will say that once again, you've written something truly incredible, and I fail to see where you consider mine superior to yours - while I found it to be a bit beyond Kurt's years . . . the tone, the emotion of it, was absolutely spot-on, and Kurt, as I said, can have these moments of maturity, so it really isn't that much of a stretch for me to think of him thinking these thoughts. It's such a great interpretation of the events in Theatricality, and I wish that we could've had something of glimpse to Kurt's thoughts as you wrote them, on the show, to shut up anyone and everyone who was blaming Kurt for the whole scenario. Poor boy was only a teenager with a crush, who took things too far, and then paid horribly for it. He shared blame, but not all of the blame. You summed that up quite wonderfully here.

Okay, NOW I'm stopping :) I really, really need to study, and I haven't even made myself lunch yet . . . Cue more procrastination ;) Thank you for a lovely read!
Camunki chapter 1 . 12/4/2010
Ah, how I wish I'd known about this right after watching 'Theatricality.' I love Kurt to bits but I felt that writers just didn't get it that, yeah, it was his fault too. I think you've got his voice right down, too, which is a rare thing!

Also love the way you used second person. I keep trying (and failing) to write something in second person since I'm trying to expand my writing style and all, but I just can't seem to get it right. You pulled it off perfectly, though, well done! :)

Camunki
Calli Wall chapter 1 . 11/5/2010
Wonderful b
Prieva chapter 1 . 10/30/2010
This is exactly what needed to happen with Kurt. But tv and movies just can't do this sort of thing-that's why we have books, and that's why this story is amazing :)
meridian-rose chapter 1 . 8/25/2010
ibut it really bothered me that afterwards Kurt didn't acknowledge his own responsibility for creating that situation/i

Me too. I was overjoyed that Kurt's father finally seemed to get it, to stand up for his son. I hated the adjective Finn chose to describe the room. But Kurt was wrong. He was selfish, unthinking, and as has been pointed out elsewhere a bit creepy about the prospect of having Finn in the same room. (this applies the same if a straight Kurt is trying to hit on a lesbian step-sister than a gay Kurt hitting on a straight would be step brother)

So kudos for picking up where the writers left off :)
Tracey chapter 1 . 8/24/2010
I love that you pointed out that Kurt doesn't have any real outlet for his crush and that it's masochistic.

I don't think people really understand what Kurt was going through. I think he get's too much hate.

He's just a naive 16 year old who has NO romantic experience, unlike Finn, who has plently. I always thought that Finn should have put a stop the crush PROPERLY months before this scene, but Finn has a habit of letting things slide and bottle up and hanging on to all the tension, which is what led to his inappropriate outburst.

I think Kurt should have taken some responsbility, but in that episode, he was far too humiliated to. Finn had insulted his very identity and made him feel like less of a man, so I'm not surprised he felt like a victim.

Apparently in season two they are revisiting the issue.