Reviews for This Sceptred Isle
90TheGeneral09 chapter 1 . 3/20
This was a remarkably good story! I'd wondered if someone would ever write a story detailing even a glimpse of what was going on elsewhere in the world as the United States fell apart. I liked the "Day of the Triffids" references in-universe by the main character. I was also impressed by the way you described Britons expecting and believing, even as it became increasingly obvious that this really was the end, that the Americans would come across the sea and save them, win the day as they had in the two World Wars, as well as playing a priceless role in shielding Britain from the Soviets for 40 years. Proud as the British are, the demise of their Empire and the loss of their immense military might to a shadow of its former self mean that militarily, especially, Britain has depended on the USA for decades, more than anybody would like to admit. As an American I don't think less of the UK for this and know these comments will cause offense for some British, but it's just the way it is. The British needed the States to turn the tide in the world wars, and the Cold War, and that can cause a degree of "dependency" thinking even if the dependents themselves don't realize it. When the chips are down, I think you have it right, the Britons expect the Yanks to show up late, but just in time to win the day yet again. Didn't happen this time. I was a little confused about this Dennis Miller, though- as to whether he is a British national or an American. But interesting idea, suggesting this man's last words on radio or print or whatever became a phrase among survivors in the UK for those left alive. I wouldn't have minded seeing this go on a bit longer, but if it tells what you came to say then that's all that matters. Good work.
jane h chapter 1 . 2/9
good
Checkman111 chapter 1 . 7/16/2010
Well done. I especially enjoyed the connection John Wyndham and the "Cozy Catastrophe" genre. I'm 42 and remember 1990 very well. You did just fine. Also good on you for covering the effects of Captain Trips on a country outside of the United States. I first read The Stand in 1983 and even then I found myself wondering about the other nations. Though the story is about the effects of a world ending disease on Americans what about everyone else?